ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

285 49358
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.
Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important to, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.
The debate will go on until a predetermined score has been reached. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about, and how many points you would like to go to (I would suggest maybe 10 or 15 for right now, I'm not exactly sure how all the scoring will work out yet). Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Moegreche
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).
So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.
Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 285 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Okay, our first debate!
NoNameC68 v. daswiftarrow
Debating on parenting. Here is the link to the profile on which you guys will be debating:

[url=http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Society1]

I will post some rules on there in just a bit, but start debating whenever you're ready!

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

noname you ready?

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Name: Megamickel
Topic: Evolution VS Creation
Stance: Evolution is the only solution backed up by scientific data.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

(By the way, that was a direct challenge to SwitchFoot's post)

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Okay, it's Switchfoot v. Megamickel
Debating on Evolution and Creation

Here's the profile for your debate:
http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Religion1

Since Switchfoot was challenged, he will present his argument first. I will put a few rules for you guys on the profile in just a few. Happy Debating!!

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I'd post, but I dun wanna spend time waiting. I'll wait for someone to post their stance or whatever, And I'll go charging at them. ^^

Great Idea, by the way.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Yeah, this idea is totally made of win.

Moe, how many people are on the adjudication panel? In a standard debate I thought there should be at least three. Also, is there a particular structure to the debate?

Despite being a seasoned debator whose views are becoming quite apparent, I tend to prefer commentary rather than direct stoushes.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

That said, the lure of easy points and the thrill of cognition is too much for me.

Name: StrawPony (oh teh noes, my real internetz pseudonym came out!)
Topic: uhm...any of them?
Stance: depends on the above :P

UOOOHHHHH. CHALLENGE MEEEEE!!! >

...I should try posting a list of stances that I will not support in a debate. From the current thread, I guess that would be...

* That God exists as a real entity.
* That homosexuality is morally wrong.
* That humans are intrinsically worth more than other animals.
* That ethical vegetarianism ought to be a categorical imperative.

Those are the ones I can think of right now. I am loath in general to debate on the existence of God; having had some years' experience in Christian apologetics, I tire of the manner in which the subject is approached.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

This is not by any means a standard debate - it's just not really that feasible with the number of different users here with different backgrounds and education levels. Plus, there are already plenty of online one-on-one debating sites with the strict regulations and all that.
Right now, this is very much in its baby phase, since I'm kinda having to figure out the scoring as I go along. Once I see how it's going and get the scoring a little more standardized, it will be loads better (I hope)!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

By the way,
DaMasta333 has 2 topics he could be challenged on by anybody:
Operation Chaos, and Extra Terrestrials.
Strop or Armed, you guys could each challenge him.
Also, Strop, if you want go ahead and make a specific topic and if nobody challenges you after awhile, I'll do it - but I need you guys to challenge DaMasta so I can get more scoring practice in. Thanks!

blackop
blackop
12 posts
Nomad

I'll go in on it.

Name: blackop
Topic: The war in Iraq
Stance: I am for this war, we need to be involved in trying to stop the spread of terrorism through the world.

I think I will find many going against me, good.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

By the way, as soon as I get finished with my current debate, I'll do any side of any debate, with one exception: I won't argue against the existance of God or Christianity as a whole. I will, however, argue against the church.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

come on! no one wants to challenge me!!!

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

i forfeit noname beat me bad

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Rofl, hilarious sentence. No offence, "No Name Beat me bad" just sounds funny for some reason.
DaMasta333, I just dun like what you wanna challengenate wif me on.

I don't know what the heck Operation Chaos is, and I'm not too up on ExtraTerrestrials, either. [Nor do I have much care for them. xP] Sorry.

On the other hand.. I'mma attack Strop. [I tihnk I'll die, but whatever, or Mega.]

Also, I am tired of the whole religion stuff. Too much of it in the forums, SO!

Feasible.. heheh, funny word. xP

I'll take someone on for the Iraq war and how bad it sucks... [Blackop, but, since the person has 12 points I hope they're active enough. No offence] If you'll put me up against Blackop, I'll do it.

Or, I'll take strop on the * That humans are intrinsically worth more than other animals. [If, by that, he means that we are betterer than animals, something he won't support]

If thats not what it means, forget I spoke. XP

Showing 16-30 of 285