ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

285 49356
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.
Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important to, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.
The debate will go on until a predetermined score has been reached. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about, and how many points you would like to go to (I would suggest maybe 10 or 15 for right now, I'm not exactly sure how all the scoring will work out yet). Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Moegreche
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).
So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.
Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 285 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Okay, right now we still have a few open debates:

DaMasta333 on Operation Chaos and Alien Presence

DivineDarkness on trees falling in the forest

Also, Megamickel needs a different challenger. He's arguing for evolution, so if anyone is willing to argue for creation, please let me know. He's already prepared his arguments so I'd like to find him a partner quickly.
Remember, the winner gets 25 AP!

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

I would gladly debate anyone on almost any subject, although I do not have a real idea of what 'Operation Chaos' is, nor do I feel like discussing aliens at this time (I just got through arguing with some imbecile for far too long...).

I am not sure I can argue a tree falling in the forest, since I believe it does make a sound. However, I guess I can debate with Megamickel, even though I thought he believed in God, so he can easily just say God 'sparked' evolution... but, I guess I am up for it. Where do I go to debate with him?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Religion1

So we'll have homegrove and Megamickel debating on this. This should really be a debate about the theory of evolution, not a "first cause" debate. However first biological life can still be an issue, just not cosmological &quotroblems."
Megamickel will present his argument first.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

G'luck.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Okay, I call bull. I wasn't finished with that and I bumped tab and then hit space >_>
What I meant was, g'luck. Come out swinging, cuz I intend to do the same.

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

ill debate anybody is any "subjecyt" as long as im not supporting evolution or anything like that

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Moe, you know me well enouhg I am going to assume. So throw me into any debate where my stances are around. This will be fun. ^_^

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

So wait. How do we know who's got how many points?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I will post the scores on the profiles on which you guys are debating. I am still refining my scoring method, however, so I won't post current scores until I'm positive that I like the scores I have. Just keep hammering away!!
And Devoidless, let me see what I have in stock

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
324 posts
Peasant

Name: Skipper8656568
Topic: Animal Slaughter/Vegatairian (is it the moral thing to do) whats it good for?
My stance: Immoral thing to do/pro-veg!
Thanks Moegreche!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I'm actually very tempted to take on Skipper, because I have some nuances I want to explore.

I also want to experience what it's like to simultaeneously subscribe to and reject the normative ethical imperative :P

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I could easily deal with the tree one. I am all set for that from previous arguments I have had with other people face to face. Fun times....

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Okay, sorry for the delay.
Strop and Skipper, you guys will be here:
http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Morality2
Skipper, you present your argument first.

Devoidless and Divine Darkness, you guys will be here:
http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Philosophy1
Divine, you present your argument first.

Happy Debating!!

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Hrrm... I'll watch the veg one.

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

this outta be good

Showing 46-60 of 285