ForumsWEPRBuilding a Mosque at Ground Zero

344 57262
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

What do you think about this? I feel that it should not be built at ground zero because I find that extremely disrespectful to the families and victims of that infamous day.

• 344 Replies
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Sorry for double post, but I wanted to clarify; yes, it is a community center, yes, there is a mosque in it, but I don't get the impression that the intent of the people behind the project is to shove 9/11 in peoples' face, they're trying to make amends. I also don't get the impression that the mosque itself will be the focus of the project, as from their statements they("they" being Daisy Khan and her husband Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf) seem to be saying that Muslims are hurt just as much by Muslim extremists as everyone else. The community center and mosque is open for all people of all creeds and religions, so I honestly don't think that it falls under the category of Islam.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

I see now that you have beaten me to the punch. I should stop typing such long paragraphs.

On an unrelated note, the lady who wrote the article you linked to - her name is Nancy Fuchs Kreimer. I'm not sure how to pronounce her middle name, but it's awfully funny to try anyway

Methinks she's German, but that's just a guess. And you're right, her name is very fun to say. Except her first name. Nancy's not fun at all. Now, if it was Zoe, that would be better.

But I feel like downplaying the mosquiness (yeah, I just made that word up)

Kinda reminds me of Mozzy from that awesome book, The Last Days. I don't particularly like Mozzy himself, but I like his name. Mozzy the mosquiness. That's a lot of fun to say. =P

It shouldn't matter if it's a mosque or church or atheist house of pancakes. We are supposed to be a country of religious freedom and tolerance. If we downplay the religious side of this, though, we kind of lose that whole first amendment argument.

Note for future writings: In my experience, atheists prefer waffles to pancakes.
This is true, but I feel that up-playing the religiousness of the whole thing(and adding a more Islamic twist to it) for the purpose of riling people up so they will get mad and watch the show more(Fox, I'm looking at you) is equally bad. Downplaying the religiousness was not my intent, but I suppose it did happen. Keyboard, I curse you for all eternity. Why did you not tell me I was doing that? *smashes laptop keyboard with hammer*.
th ws kda sspid f me no i cnt tpe. bt lset i tlk lke othr intrnt ppl nw.
And now for my super-smiley face. *drumroll*
~( =< D}
Before you ask, I did that because I felt like it.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Nancy Fuchs Kreimer.

I believe it is Nansee "Fyooks" craymur for pronunciation. I had band class; there's a fuchs guy in there

This is true, but I feel that up-playing the religiousness of the whole thing(and adding a more Islamic twist to it) for the purpose of riling people up so they will get mad and watch the show more(Fox, I'm looking at you) is equally bad

There's a media thread in here too if you wanna debate in that
Yes, they do that for ratings. But it's also a news channel, believe it or not. If they are stretching the coverage to insinuate a differentiated perspective of an event, that's just WRONG. It's a news station. It's supposed to be correct with as much objectivity as possible. C-Span makes the best of this. CBS fails at this, and Fox fails even worse.

And more about this Mosque-y community center. This is America. We should treat it just like any other religious affiliation. If we respond to this in a negative way, this is showing that we are biased and against what America stands for, Muslim activity or not.

Someone said something about decency being the issue. What I need to say again is that the average Muslims had nothing to do with these activities. Their affairs, compared to the Taliban or the extremist Muslims, are in a totally-different ball field. America was attacked by Muslims on 9/11. That's fine. It wasn't THEM. They shouldn't be shunned because a bunch of extremists who sully the Muslim name ruined their livelihood.

You see what I'm getting at here? The American Muslims have had harsh times because we were beating on them for something they had no thought in their mind doing. Let them be at peace by leaving them alone, starting with the construction of this Mosque-y community center.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

I believe it is Nansee "Fyooks" craymur for pronunciation. I had band class; there's a fuchs guy in there

Noooooo why did you have to ruin our jokes? Now I'll have to start calling Fox "fochs" just to replace "fuchs". Thanks a lot. xP Just kidding.
There's a media thread in here too if you wanna debate in that
Yes, they do that for ratings. But it's also a news channel, believe it or not. If they are stretching the coverage to insinuate a differentiated perspective of an event, that's just WRONG. It's a news station. It's supposed to be correct with as much objectivity as possible. C-Span makes the best of this. CBS fails at this, and Fox fails even worse.

Wait a minute...I think you might be confused. My argument is that twisting the truth is BAD. And yes, it's a news station. But news stations are just rating places now. There's no one you can trust!!! 0.*
And yeah...I like doing one-eyed smiley faces. They're just fun!

And more about this Mosque-y community center. This is America. We should treat it just like any other religious affiliation. If we respond to this in a negative way, this is showing that we are biased and against what America stands for, Muslim activity or not.

Ah-ah-ah. Religious community center.
Otherwise, yes, yes, and yes.

Someone said something about decency being the issue. What I need to say again is that the average Muslims had nothing to do with these activities. Their affairs, compared to the Taliban or the extremist Muslims, are in a totally-different ball field. America was attacked by Muslims on 9/11. That's fine. It wasn't THEM. They shouldn't be shunned because a bunch of extremists who sully the Muslim name ruined their livelihood.

Precisel-wait, why am I even replying to this?
We're just saying the same thing.
That's my bad.
Again, atheists prefer waffles. Who's with me!?!
Owait, that's my bad. I've done some research(read: ate breakfast). It's actually like so; agnostic atheists prefer pancakes, whilst gnostic atheists prefer waffles.
O or #. What side are YOU?
I fail at joking, don't I?
But I shall now enter the media thread, because I am bored!
valkery
valkery
1,255 posts
Nomad

I still want to know why they think that they have to build the Mosque two blocks away from the WTC and not somewhere else in lower Manhattan. According to the article supplied earlier, they prime reason for building it there is to bridge the gap created by 9/11 and to also show that the Muslims are going to help rebuild lower ManhattanYou can still build a Mosque somewhere else in lower NYC and still have the same two effects, except it won't be viewed as a "Slap in the face" by those who lost loved ones on 9/11.

If you really want to bridge the gap, don't make people hate you for building a Mosque near the WTC.

And yes, I do realize that it is going to be more of a Rec-center than a place of Islam, but that doesn't matter if the general public views it as a Mosque. If they think that it is a Mosque than that it what it will be. I don't think it really matters if it is more of a Rec-center, if you are going to build a spirtually focused Rec-center, than you better get a ton of different religions in there to give it that effect or else it is still going to be seen as a place of Islam, just because Islamics built it.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I still want to know why they think that they have to build the Mosque two blocks away from the WTC and not somewhere else in lower Manhattan.

Cuz they gots rights to that there property and ain't no one can't do squat diddly about it.

You can still build a Mosque somewhere else in lower NYC and still have the same two effects, except it won't be viewed as a "Slap in the face" by those who lost loved ones on 9/11.

Yes, we've had it hard because of that attack; my relative's friend was part of the list of victims of 9/11. What do you think happened to those that were Muslim or those that looked Muslim DURING the attack or AFTERWARDS? They were shunned, spit on, kicked, and insulted. That ain't supposed to be what America does, geniuses. We attack Problem X and we bring those that had nothing to do with this closer than ever.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

And yes, I do realize that it is going to be more of a Rec-center than a place of Islam, but that doesn't matter if the general public views it as a Mosque. If they think that it is a Mosque than that it what it will be. I don't think it really matters if it is more of a Rec-center, if you are going to build a spirtually focused Rec-center, than you better get a ton of different religions in there to give it that effect or else it is still going to be seen as a place of Islam, just because Islamics built it.

There ARE a bunch of different religions in there. Did you read the whole link? And besides, it's not their fault that people think that it's a mosque, it's the media. Just wanted to point that out.
Here, to make it easy for you, here's a quote from the link.
"If all goes as planned, it will soon house Cordoba House, a community center and mosque open to people of all faiths."

So...it's a mosque, but it's open to everyone.
artdecade
artdecade
11 posts
Nomad

I'm not reading 28 pages, so this might've already been said:

I don't understand how people can only argue "well, I don't understand why they have to build it SO CLOSE". There's already a mosque less than a mile from Ground Zero, nevermind the other SIX mosques under three miles from the WTC (see the map here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106520383149777542574.00048d68139eb6072d4c2&ll=40.765722,-73.964081&spn=0.202302,0.445976&z=12).

In addition, the Pentagon built a nondenominational chapel as part of their memorial, which is about 80 FEET from the site where the plane crashed. It has multiple services a week, catering to not only Christians, but Hindus, Jews, MUSLIMS, and many other faiths. There was absolutely no protest by any one.

I'm glad there are people pointing out the fact this isn't simply a mosque-- it's a community center. It will have a 500-seat auditorium, theater, performing arts center, fitness center, swimming pool, basketball court, childcare services, art exhibitions, bookstore, culinary school, and a food court serving halal dishes. The fact that it has facilities like a food court and theater disqualifies it from being a straight up mosque, and instead can only be called a &quotrayer space" (http://cordobainitiative.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/what-is-prayer-space/).

hatswa
hatswa
77 posts
Nomad

They definitely have the right to do so and they should if they so wish to.

I just want to take a moment to say that it is hilarious that fox goes we must follow the money to see where the guy building the mosque is getting it from and the person he's getting it from is a large stock holder in fox, so they don't mention him.

Strength
Strength
187 posts
Nomad

It will be good if it works as an apaology, if not.........

QueenFirebreath
QueenFirebreath
16 posts
Nomad

I dont see a problem with it. Its not like its actually at ground zero, so I dont think theres any reason not to build it. just maybe a little farther away would be nice.

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

i really don't care if they build a mosque their maybe they'll pray for forgiveness from us so they aren't prosecuted anymore even though that's unnecessary cause we should have forgave them since it was EXTREMISTS who did it that's a very small portion

mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

Well, i'm all for religious freedom in all, but there are enough mosques in Manhattan and one to be build 2 blocks away is insensitive. It has been said 1000 times but this isn't a matter of religion, its a matter of sensitivity. I feel that a Memorial for the 3000 fallen Americans that were killed during the 9/11 attacks.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

A. Isn't Liberty Tower going to serve the 'memorial' purpose?
B. It isn't just a Mosque - it includes a 'rayer center' yes but it has a lot of other facilities that make it more akin to a community center/mall than anything else.

mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

Isn't Liberty Tower going to serve the 'memorial' purpose?

1. Its the Freedom Tower
2. Its not really a memorial, its just a improved and safer WTC that shows america can take a hit and can get back up.... I just think a total memorial devoted 100% to remembering the victims would be a better think to build in that spot.
Showing 271-285 of 344