ForumsWEPRBuilding a Mosque at Ground Zero

344 57266
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

What do you think about this? I feel that it should not be built at ground zero because I find that extremely disrespectful to the families and victims of that infamous day.

• 344 Replies
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

Well, i'm all for religious freedom in all, but there are enough mosques in Manhattan and one to be build 2 blocks away is insensitive. It has been said 1000 times but this isn't a matter of religion, its a matter of sensitivity. I feel that a Memorial for the 3000 fallen Americans that were killed during the 9/11 attacks.

If its just a matter of sensitivity, not religion, why is it insensitive to build a community centre near by?If its not about religion it must be about it being part community centre, and if it was purely a mosque it would be completely fine to build as close as they want.
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

ok, artdecade, you first, they built a 'non denominational' church, different, some might say, than a denominational 'community center', and um, i got one thats gunna blow your mind. my church, that i used to attend, had a basketball court, a kitchen, a theatre, childcare services, and a swimming pool. but im pretty sure it was still a religious type thing. i mean anyone could use it, but it was still in a church. it was still called a church. it was still a church. just because theyre muslim, doesn't make them live by different rules.

RugRat
RugRat
340 posts
Nomad

Hilarious youtube vidya of protest

-The dude wasn't even a muslim.....all they needed to classify him as one was the skullcap.
-He was wearing the Puerto Rican flag on his necklace.
-He's a carpenter working at the future site of the ground zero museum and was just trying to get to work.

lolololololol

Don't you guys have freedom of religion in your constitution?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I do believe we were one of the first, if not, the founder of freedom of religion, whilst other countries, including yours, followed us.

Congress shall make no law in favor of religion or the prohibition thereof.

So, those that are protesting against this community center because of their religion are blind.
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

we do but half our population is either completely ignorant or has a
5th grade or are racist, education so only the other half really get it
FutureUSMC2011
FutureUSMC2011
31 posts
Nomad

I honestly think the people should vote on such a decision. There are plenty of places in New York where a Mosque could be built. I'm all for freedom of religion, that is the value that his country was built upon, but to have it in the shadow of Ground Zero seems more of a victory act rather than an act of religion.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I honestly think the people should vote on such a decision.

People cannot vote to take away land for which a person or group has already paid for.

The rest of your post is meritable. You're right; this isn't and shouldn't be a matter of religion; it should be a matter of decency.
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

i thought we had covered that it is totally constitutional, and it was just a matter of common respect. just sayin.

AIias
AIias
19 posts
Nomad

This is definitely a video to watch regardless of whether you support the mosque or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpT2Muxoo0

My personal opinion is that it is unconstitutional if the mosque is stopped from being built. It is their right to build it there.

DoctorHouseNCIS
DoctorHouseNCIS
304 posts
Nomad

note: the people planning to build the Mosque said that they would possily move it if problems continue to occur

nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

yet again, not for or against, but it does seem a little insensative. just saying, its like putting a shooting range right next to a ptsd rehabilitaation center. totally legal,constitutional, maybe the land was cheap or someone in the gun club already owned land there, but it would be kinda rude, and thoughtless. i just hope something resolves this, before the rednecks do sumthin dumb. i can see it now, mullets and lynard skynard, some whiskey and some pipe bombs.

DoctorHouseNCIS
DoctorHouseNCIS
304 posts
Nomad

Well, legally and morally are two different things. THe people who created the horrific tragedy that is 9/11 were Muslim, but that was not their "main thing". excuse my lack of a better word, but a gun range's purpose is a gun range. The terroists purpose was to terrorise, not be a Muslim. I understand what you are saying, nevtsthereaper, but please understand my point as well. Goodnight!!!

nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

gun ranges are super fun, im a trap shooter myself, but its more us to be able to see each other in the same place, talk about our opinions, and do what we enjoy, waste money and shoot little clay discs. except for the shooting discs part, seems similar to a church, probably less of us than religions, but we stick to a certain code of ethics, and similar beliefs, and we help each other out.

DoctorHouseNCIS
DoctorHouseNCIS
304 posts
Nomad

I see your point,

But you did not see my whole one

Putting a symbol of a religion next to something that was destroyed by people who were in that religion would understandably hurt those people

My point is that the terrorists made it clear that it was the Muslims who created 9/11, not just terrorists

DoctorHouseNCIS
DoctorHouseNCIS
304 posts
Nomad

P.S. before anyone goes off at me, I know that it wasn't the whole Muslim community that created 9/11

Showing 286-300 of 344