ForumsWEPRBuilding a Mosque at Ground Zero

344 57268
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

What do you think about this? I feel that it should not be built at ground zero because I find that extremely disrespectful to the families and victims of that infamous day.

• 344 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

We're not denying them a mosque,

Who is "we"?

they don't have to build RIGHT NEXT to freakin ground zero though, plus, there are already hundreds of mosques in new york, they could find one!

How is this relevant? Would you object to the construction of a Christian church next to "ground zero?"
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

We're not denying them a mosque, they don't have to build RIGHT NEXT to freakin ground zero though, plus, there are already hundreds of mosques in new york, they could find one!

You're committing a fallacy of equivocation here. Mosque =\\= community center. This does not serve the same purpose as a mosque does. It's very very far away from that. And it's a few blocks away, out of view of the site. The only issue is that a ton of people are protesting because they're getting misinformation about this and they don't understand the situation - this isn't a mosque at all, and it isn't on ground zero, and it has nothing to do with 9/11 and the terrorists. It's unreasonable and idiotic to think that Ground Zero casts some sort of anti-Muslim aura over a few blocks of NYC simply because extremists that call themselves Muslim attacked what once stood there.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

It's unreasonable and idiotic to think that Ground Zero casts some sort of anti-Muslim aura over a few blocks of NYC simply because extremists that call themselves Muslim attacked what once stood there.

Not all Muslims are terrorists. The 1st amendment allows freedom of religion. Denying the mosque is unconstitutional

The above quotes ^^^^^^ pretty much have you snagged Beast007. It seems like from your post you are very emotional about this, and having your emotion screaming through a post doesn't help your argument at all. Construct your next post on here, if any, very carefully.

Let us please remember! MUSLIMS MORE THAN LIKELY DIED IN THOSE TOWERS AS WELL. What if someone Muslim had a close family member or friend die on 9/11? Please think about ALL scenarios. Or at least most. kthxsbai.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

This does not serve the same purpose as a mosque does.

The community center will contain: "500-seat auditorium, theater, performing arts center, fitness center, swimming pool, basketball court, childcare area, bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food court, September 11 memorial, and Muslim prayer space that would accommodate 1,000â"2,000 people."

I think the prayer space could be regarded as a mosque.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Saint Mary's university in Indiana is Catholic-based, and serves a variety of majors to instruct in, PLUS a Catholic church. It does not get regarded as a Catholic church.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I'm referring to the prayer space itself not the building as a whole.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Uh huh!

After all the extra tidbits the architect and founder of the community center added in, they gotta add in a teeny, tiny spot for a Muslim prayer space. Now, you would think that, as religious people, would devote the majority of the community center as Islamic, but no, they didn't. They separated their ideals and made the community center for the community. I respect that. The overly-Christian and overly-patriotic citizens have nothing to fear from this community center; there is no harm that is going to come from it.

Of course, they can breathe hateful remarks all they want, but what's that going to do in terms of constitutionality? I mean, come on dudes, they got freedoms too, even though they are a minority. I pity for the overly-patriotic citizens, because even though they put on the guise of &quotreserving the rights and freedoms of American citizens", they erm.....really aren't entirely.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Also:

We're not denying them a mosque, they don't have to build RIGHT NEXT to freakin ground zero though, plus, there are already hundreds of mosques in new york, they could find one!

The founder of the Islamic community center is quite the honorable man. Paraphrased:

"If I knew there was going to be all this ruckus about building an Islamic community center a couple blocks from Ground Zero, I would have prompted to move my decision immediately. However, I cannot. I believe that if I were to move my building plans due to the wishes of the citizens, the extremist Muslims would catch word of it and would prompt action immediately".

Of course, Fox news took his last sentence out of context and assumed it to be a direct threat. All I have to say is: objective journalism, 36435; Fox, 0.
XXAlienGirlXX
XXAlienGirlXX
810 posts
Nomad

I say let these Muslims or whatever they are build the stupid Mosque, It honestly will not effect me because I dont even live on earth.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Here's an interesting interview on the mosque.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf on Islam in America

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

The community center will contain: "500-seat auditorium, theater, performing arts center, fitness center, swimming pool, basketball court, childcare area, bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food court, September 11 memorial, and Muslim prayer space that would accommodate 1,000â�"2,000 people."

I think the prayer space could be regarded as a mosque.

Nope, not a mosque. There're a lot of different rules for mosques that differentiate them from prayer rooms like this - and also, there will be prayer rooms for all other major religions as well, so the presence of a Muslim prayer room is a moot point. The prayer room is sorta like a chapel is to a church, but even less holy and religious and such.

Also, there're a lot of other features that will be there that aren't mentioned there. It's important to realize that all that's Islamic about this place are the name, the founder, and the food court. Other than that, it's just a community center. There is nothing that makes it overtly a religious monument to anything in particular.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Oh yeah, and wouldn't the September 11 memorial counteract any sort of "bad karma" that having an effing Islamic prayer space for a multireligious community center might create?

bluedevil
bluedevil
542 posts
Nomad

Again I say if you didnt read my post, this is not just a islamic center. There is space for christians and jews to pray. Think of it as a giant mixed church

BackFlip
BackFlip
138 posts
Nomad

good idea:P

Showing 331-344 of 344