ForumsWEPRCalifornia Prop 8 Overturned

98 18519
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

That's right folks, Proposition 8 - the ban on Gay marriage in California has been Overturned by a federal judge today:

Here's the Link

So - this could have potentially nationwide ramifications for Gay marriage and the banning thereof.

What are your views on the overturning? Do you think this could affect the rules on Gay marriage throughout the USA? Is this the breakdown of society and the coming of the end?

Personally - I think this is one of the best things that could ever have happened in California and it's effects on the whole of the USA could change the country forever.

• 98 Replies
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Doesn't make it not a travesty to democracy. They voted for it, let them have it.

But then that leaves the homosexuals in the dust.

So either way we have it, it's a travesty.
My argument was based on the assumption that you were making a value judgment, as you seemed to indicate on CountingTime. Your more neutral statements now are pretty much ironclad, with the only point of debate being what a "travesty" is. I think I speak for us all when I say let's not debate that :P

You can't just make being gay determined by genes just on your say so. That's ridiculous. The science says it starts with child abuse.
How does that explain all the LGBT people who were not abused as children? That explanation is lacking.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

You can't just make being gay determined by genes just on your say so. That's ridiculous. The science says it starts with child abuse.

Your explanation is also ridiculous.

Also:

How does that explain all the LGBT people who were not abused as children? That explanation is lacking.
yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

@Xzeno - All it says is you can change sexual orientation based on experience. Those other LGBT people who were not abused had some other experience that changed their sexual orientation.

@RugRat - fail "the study is not directly relevant to the subject of human sexual preference"

Try humans next time, lol! Here's one on marriage saying how much enviornment and not genetics are the cause:

Heterosexual marriage was significantly linked to having young parents, small age differences between parents, stable parental relationships, large sibships, and late birth order. Children who experience parental divorce are less likely to marry heterosexually than those growing up in intact families. For men, same-sex marriage was associated with having older mothers, divorced parents, absent fathers, and being the youngest child. For women, maternal death during adolescence and being the only or youngest child or the only girl in the family increased the likelihood of same-sex marriage. - wiki "sexual orientation" citing Childhood family correlates of heterosexual and homosexual marriages 2007

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Yielee, statistics really don't prove that homosexuality is psychological. Now before you correct me on this, I know that there is no link to it being biological either. However, considering the circumstances of human interaction, they just cannot decide to become homosexual nor can homosexual be heterosexual, because they will most definitely feel uncomfortable with it. My true calling is heterosexual. If I just decided to become homosexual, it would not work out at all.

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

Well in most churches there are cases of homosexuals confessing their sins and giving their lives to Christ. And these people go on to marry have kids like any normal Christians. It's true!

So my point is this. The legal definition of sexual orientation is blurred. So the feds don't want to start a new ammendment and is why they said they'd rather have the states decide it.

That's why Prop 8 will be reversed again.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Well in most churches there are cases of homosexuals confessing their sins and giving their lives to Christ. And these people go on to marry have kids like any normal Christians. It's true!

That is because the list goes like this...

Choices for a homosexual (especially a religious one)

1. Hide the fact your homosexual.
2. Be hated by other church goers, coworkers, and random people on the street.
3. Do what they did, and pretend that your "cured".

So my point is this. The legal definition of sexual orientation is blurred. So the feds don't want to start a new ammendment and is why they said they'd rather have the states decide it.

Why should people be discriminated on by there gender and what gender you seek? What happened to liberty and justice for all?

Actually its because homophobic bigots will continue to bring it up until...well, I don't know when they will stop.
RugRat
RugRat
340 posts
Nomad

http://www.trendir.com/archives/team-7-luxury-closet-system.jpg

That's a closet............kinda looks deep.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Pfft, you can make a homosexual guy have sex with a woman as you can make a straight guy have sex with a gay one - It isn't rape but you've brainwashed them into suppressing who they are. That's your 'cure' for homosexuality - to brainwash people into forgetting who and what they are and telling them that they're evil and sinful.

I think the Kinsey Scale works quite well for all normal sexual orientations

Nope, that's why homophobic overly-zealous, fundie douchbags like YOU want Prop. 8 to be reversed again - and I've just discredited the stuff you've said so Bye-bye.
RugRat
RugRat
340 posts
Nomad

Looks so deep that you can come out and then go back in.

Ok I'll stop

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

Whatever you guys are saying against what happens it's not matter of fact. You guys are just wishing something to be true and it's not.

Sexual orientation is a matter of taste, legally. That's what it's about. That's why Prop 8 will be reversed. Just wait and see.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

If sexual orientation is just a matter of taste and not about conserving our ethical values, then all the more reason for Prop 8 to stay open.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Whatever you guys are saying against what happens it's not matter of fact. You guys are just wishing something to be true and it's not.

It's you that's wishing - you don't like the thought of gay people being equal because your insignificant little book condemns it and you can't stand the thought of something you don't like going on around you.

Sexual orientation is a matter of taste, legally. That's what it's about. That's why Prop 8 will be reversed. Just wait and see.

Where the hell does it say that?

I'd urge any actual Christians and not the silly piles of Fundie crap like yielee to reject those who speak out against Homosexuals - accept those people who are gay because Jesus taught loving and the lesser of two evils - surely, look up to your God and ask: Is it really worse to be gay than to live a life of loneliness and sadness, where everyone rejects you?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hcz7W6mvVp4/TEz17pmEytI/AAAAAAAACHY/rVOrnyM8tMs/s1600/mirror.jpg

Hey look! A perfect fit!

What we are saying is true. You know masturbation? People having sex with non humans? What makes you think its such a huge jump to have sex with the gender you don't specifically like?

Its a matter of genetics, scientifically, and thus the law will state it as such. Prop eight is about "Eww homosexuals make me feel uncomfortable, so I am going to stomp on the rights of others!"*squish*
yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Each year thousands of men, women and teens with unwanted same-sex attractions make the personal decision to leave homosexuality.

"Wow these Christian bigots are being totally bigots... I have an idea! I will say I am cured and pretend that I am not homosexual!"

You do realize they probably just pretend because of homophobic idiots like you?

Some have transitioned out of a homosexual identity and lifestyle, while others have avoided ever fully going into it. Some have married and had children of their own. Some have saved their existing marriages and families. Some have found fulfillment in living as a single man or woman, with no homosexual involvement. Whatever their individual circumstances and life goals, they have found from personal experience that there are, indeed, positive alternatives that are right for them rather than living a homosexual life.

Basically they pretend there not homosexual. Woopdy doo. Now you just need to get people pretend to stop having cancer, and everything will be "cured"!

And whats so wrong with this "homosexual life style" and why does it need &quotositive alternatives"? It is not harming anyone, including the participants.
Showing 46-60 of 98