ForumsWEPRCalifornia Prop 8 Overturned

98 18520
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

That's right folks, Proposition 8 - the ban on Gay marriage in California has been Overturned by a federal judge today:

Here's the Link

So - this could have potentially nationwide ramifications for Gay marriage and the banning thereof.

What are your views on the overturning? Do you think this could affect the rules on Gay marriage throughout the USA? Is this the breakdown of society and the coming of the end?

Personally - I think this is one of the best things that could ever have happened in California and it's effects on the whole of the USA could change the country forever.

• 98 Replies
Eless
Eless
118 posts
Nomad

Won't there need to be a constitutonal amendment for real nationwide change? I mean whippie for CA but seriously?

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Ok, time to settle this once and for all. I have nothing wrong with Gay couples, even though i am homophobic. Marriage SHOULD be between a Man and a Woman, but they should make another way of legally joining a couple so gays can live in peace. And i do seriously pray for straight children of gay couples who wish to live normal lives. It must suck, no offense to anyone.

You contradict yourself a tiny bit there, don't you?

You're Homophobic and yet have 'nothing wrong' with gay couples

Also - who says children adopted by gay couples can't live normal lives? They aren't forced to join some 'gay circus' where they have to wear flamboyant costumes and put on extremely camp voices or anything...
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

And i do seriously pray for straight children of gay couples who wish to live normal lives. It must suck, no offense to anyone

The only way it would suck is if they were ridiculed by homophobes for having same-sex parents.
BlackSkullDragon
BlackSkullDragon
161 posts
Peasant

I think it's great.Equality of rights is really important.I'm from Argentina and here a law has been approved that allows gay couples to marry and adopt.Some people have used the exact same arguments.Some said that the kids that were adopted by gay couples were not doing to be able to live a normal life and some even said that they could be raped by there parents.I just don't understand that kind of discrimination against gay people.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

And welcome to the twenty first century. Christ it only took California 5 years to catch up to Canada. So let's get a move on America! Mind you Canada wasn't the first to legalize gay marriage...

Leviathan019
Leviathan019
39 posts
Nomad

What makes legalizing gay marriage right?

ligaboy
ligaboy
1,052 posts
Peasant

What makes it wrong? The banning of gay marriage is taking away an individuals right to marry whomever they want.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Either way it's a travesty to democracy.

Welcome to the 21st century . . .

Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

What made illegalizing gay marriage right?
tehpwner
tehpwner
266 posts
Nomad

What i meant by being homophobic is im not comfortable with the idea of being gay, but i dont have anything qrong if they choose to do that. it's hard to explain. And when i said it must suck is that kids are brutal if you do something the remotely looks gay, so it would be terrible if some judgemental f**s found out they had gay parents. also, it would be even worse for a kid in that situation if his parents tried to make him gay. for that, i hope that the parents and the bullys leave the kid's sexuality to him/herself. Thats for the kid to determine.

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

Well there's proven statistics that say gay kids are actually born from heterosexual parents.

xBHWKxUSAx
xBHWKxUSAx
121 posts
Nomad

it would be even worse for a kid in that situation if his parents tried to make him gay

People aren't made gay. There are stretches of DNA that are linked to being gay. It's good to see that you have your beliefs but allow gay civil union but you're misinformed.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

You cannot make somebody Gay - it isn't some form of illness that can be passed on.

tehpwner
tehpwner
266 posts
Nomad

Thats really weird, yielee. but sorry if I can't get my point across That great. I meant if the parents raised him as a gay person from an early age and tried to influence his sexuality. I know, i heard from the debate thread on the "gay gene" that an expirement was done where a boy was raised his whole childhood as a girl and years later he said that no matter what they did, he still knew he was a boy and still had an attraction to girls. I know that being gay isn't a moral choice, but I, at one point, followed every delusion that adults told me to follow as a kid, and was a big pushover, not actually being me. that was a couple years ago, and since ive become a normal , average guy who dosn't take everything seriously. what does this have to do with the subject? Even if the parents tried to make him/her gay, and he turned out straight, the delusions his parents raised on him would of still ruined part of his childhood, that is, if he/she turned out straight. I'm kinda lost now, so any problems with what im saying, please point them out and ill try to fix them. I'm not exactly what you'd call "On" today.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Either way it's a travesty to democracy.
Actually, it's justice in action. Majority rule is neither just nor keeping with American constitutional democracy. If the people of California voted for, say, racial segregation, it wouldn't matter if 70% of Californians were for it. There's no reason rights should be denied to anyone of any race, so the court overturns the law.

Similarly, despite public opinion, there's no logical reason rights should be denied to LGBT people.

This is because, in the US, some rights are reserved for the individual. Taken to its logical extreme*, your view seems to advocate reserving no rights for the individual and all rights for the society, i.e. society can persecute whomsoever it pleases for any reason (even no reason), so long as the majority thinks it's okay. Is that what you want?

*Not taken to its logical extreme, your view is inconsistent.

Aside: Others have expressed this view besides EnterOrion. I quoted him because he was the most recent and because I could make assumptions based on our previous conversations.
Showing 16-30 of 98