ForumsArt, Music, and WritingLiterature Fight!

402 63819
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Yay for literature!

Teams: In this competition we will start with 2 teams of 8. Everyone will write about a subject. I will then judge each entry. When your team loses you vote off 2 people from your team.
Scoring: I judge on a scale from 1 to 10. After all scores are added up, the team with the lower score will lose. I will show all individual scores.
The Literature Games: Once 8 people are left in the competition, you fight 1v1v1v1, in a huge arena. I will give you a basic description of the arena, and then you write about killing all the competitors in the arena. You get to choose 1 weapon to start with. This is called the Literature Games (Yes like the hunger games.) One person will survive, then you fight the winner of the other Games.
The Finale: You fight 1v1 with special powers and again one weapon of choice. Both entries are mutated so that it takes very much to kill. You will have to write about that. You also have to write about training, which is 3 days long. Again you will fight in an arena, which will be given to you.

Note:[b] You will be given this information again when the round comes

[b]Note:
The whole thing is writing. No pictures, and by fighting to the death I mean writing about fighting to the death. By training I mean writing about training, etc.
I know pretty obvious, so don't ask about it.

Note: Each round can only be so long. I will wait for you to finish, but if you take too long you will automatically be eliminated. If you know you will take long, please notify me.

[i]Note: You will be given updates all throughout the competition by me, so please do not close your messenger.

Remember just 16 participants, 8 on each team.

• 402 Replies
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Seeing as the deafline isn't for a while, I would say all thid worrying is unneeded.

Yea

It should be the average of those who submitted. Otherwise, the contest will be based around which team has the most submissions, instead of which team has the best submissions.

Nah, you could just vote them off.

I also think that the winning team should have the option to boot non submitting players off in order to make room for other people who want to join, like Thoad.

Okay, so you can vote off an extra person if you lose, and get Thoad or Nico.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Okay, so you can vote off an extra person if you lose, and get Thoad or Nico.

Darkroot asked first, please don't forget him.
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Ok, thanks for letting me know. =)

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I suggest something.
Jdogg and I each give a score out of 10 for every submission, we add up all the scores than -5 points for every user on each team who didn't submit, then /2, and the team with the higher amount of points wins.

The only problem is that one team can have a lot more slacking users than others. Any suggestions?

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

That would be a good idea. But I have a better one. Yay! Yay!

We the people who didn't enter as 0. But then to find the average, each person who enters only counts as 1/2 an entry (also could be a 1/3 or forth...), so then you divide by a smaller number.

Ex: 8 8 9 10 10 0 0 0

8+8=16
16+9=25
25+10=35
35+10=45
=0+0+0=45

45/5.5 entries=8.18
or
45/5 entries=9
or
45/4.75 entries=9.47

Confusing ino.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

13, 15, two on 17..

Team1: Aknerd, Freakenstein, tomertheking, Jezz, Parsat, Alt, Xzeno, wolf1991, Xverb

Team2: Slayguy8, Zaork, thepossum, Fallensky, Joey6855, SecretMapper, Poisonn, KR, Wajor59.

Italics are people who've submitted...correct me if I'm wrong or missing anything. So only 4/18 people have submitted so far.

Deadline is in 12 days.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Yeah.

New suggestion: If you don't enter you are out, and then you take turns drafting new users for the next round.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

FT, we have 5 entries.

Team1:
Aknerd, Freakenstein, tomertheking, Jezz, Parsat, Alt, Xzeno, wolf1991, Xverb

Team2:
Slayguy8, Zaork, thepossum, Fallensky, Joey6855, SecretMapper, Poison, KR, Wajor59.

Made by me :OO vvv
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8123/sig2r.png

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

To: jgoggparty and firetail_madness,

Should I rewrite my story?

When I though up my story I wanted to show how someone could be prepared for a "roughing it" vacation, bring a few supplies, but wind up not needed them. I still think my story missed the point if I'm supposed to make something to escape the island. I also don't think I should have a cell phone or even a pocket knife.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Wajor, nooooo! Everytime someone asks a question like that it gives the judges an opportunity to make the topic more restrictive, and then I have to go rewrite my story... Again. Seriously, I try to get as far away from the intended theme without actually breaking any rules. So even just clarifying the rules hurts me quite a bit.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,815 posts
Peasant

Is there a set deadline? Because I work from Thursday to Sunday and I just came back from vacation so I'd need some more time peeps.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

The deadline is August 31st, Fallen.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Seriously, I try to get as far away from the intended theme without actually breaking any rules. So even just clarifying the rules hurts me quite a bit.

You just said the magic words, "without actually breaking any rules". I think I have broken the no tools rule? I don't want points taken off my score over something so blatant, especially if I caught my mistake in time to fix it?
The way I interpreted the rules before I wrote my story was no supplies for making a hut or putting out the fire. Then, just yesterday I reread the rules and it occurred to me that the no supplies rule, meant period. We're to bring nothing, not even a cell phone, pocket knife, tooth brush, nothing!
*end of paranoid rant*

Isn't this one of the main fallacies of human beings? We always have to have stuff with us where ever we go, and every where we go.
This first round is supposed to prove that we can creatively survive being abandoned on an island with just the clothes on our back, our brains and wits.
Having said this, I'm going to rewrite my story. I'm sorry if this my cause others to rewrite theirs, too. The few who have submitted their stories have followed the rules, except me.
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

I think it is ok, but bringing a gun on a vacation? Take that out and replace it with something more survivor like, and it is fine.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

So the word limit is 2250?

Hmm...I think I spent too much time on getting onto the island...

Showing 211-225 of 402