Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:09pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

This is mostly what we are doing in this thread: point out our opinions, discuss it, argue, someone else points out their opinion, and cycle restarts.

I guess this is why I won't stay. I don't stubbornly claim that my opinion is the one and only true opinion, and is made of fact and whatever. That usually f up a lot of proper discussion.

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:10pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,189 posts

Knight

Cen, you do bring up some interesting points. I think your theory is definitely something to discuss. Because I had just posted an article about a single study that the results happened to conclude that lesbian parents raised well-mannered children. But it was only a single study.

So, my response to your theory:
Setting sexuality aside, not all people are good people. There are some very bad people that happen to be homosexual. There are just more heterosexual people, thus more bad parents. Less homosexual people, less bad parents.

Because we tend to think of things in a fairy-tale sort of way. For example, there are lesbian parents had their child from a previous relationship with a male. Things happen. The relationship could have ended badly and they walked out and met a female. Now, two lesbian females are raising a child.

In cases I've seen like the one I described above, it was not a good home life for that child. But it had nothing to do with either authority figures' sexuality. It had everything to do with the moral fiber of the birth mother being....what's the right word...irresponsible.

Here is a very sad insight to the lesbian community: I've know MANY couples break up and one of the girls goes out and finds a guy, has sex with him, ends up pregnant, all to just make her ex jealous.

NOW - this is just the worst case scenario I could imagine.

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:12pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,189 posts

Knight

Also, I wanted to post this article. It tickled me a bit, but it brings up some good points about the issues.
Conservative Case for Gay Marriage

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:23pm

nevetsthereaper

nevetsthereaper

558 posts

cenere is totally right, i will confess. my opinion only holds merit to me really. lol and aparently i hit a major chord with asherlee, still feelin the heat off of the last page. i do understand that anything is entirely possible. that is just my opinion that they should not be able to be married. i did happen to think up a good debate on the subject of the legal parts of marriage. if thats why they want to get married, they could just go to a lawyer, and do the exact same things on paper and sign/notarize. i get the whole love thing. i am married, we love each other. but we didn't need that marriage to validate or justify our love. we were young(er) and she was pregnant, and thought i was going to leave her, because thats what happened with her first boyfreind, but i adopted her daughter, and unfortunately we had to be married in order to get around alot of tricky paperwork and fees.

remember, i don't hate them. they are absolutely equal. but so are women to me, and i still cant have a baby, and that is something that they don't have a choice about right??

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:25pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Of course. I can also imagine that if a couple of any kind get a kid, and one does not want this kid as much as the other, there will be conflicts. And if the pair of them are not strong, then it will be another broken home.
It is hard to pose a theory on sexuality without having to take in cultural, social and psychological points. This both means that saying that being homosexual makes you are good parent is hard to verify, because there are so many other factors, but it is just as hard to say that, say, homosexuals should not have kids, because the children will grow up either to be bullied, or become gay themselves.
It seems to me that it is as irrational to disallow a great social and cultural symbol for a group of people, as it is to conclude any gay man will want to have sex with you, or that standing outside in the rain will make you spontaneously combust.
In the first case, as already mentioned, that group of people will be "the others", and at some point simply will not count as "human like us".

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:30pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,141 posts

Homosexuals can have choices in wanting children. If you're talking to them in regards to choices, I'm assuming. They can adopt children as normal and as standard a procedure as the next couple. They can also have a birth mother. I don't know the ethical grounds for this; it can result from a series of experiences, some of which Asherlee pointed out.

The point is, homosexuals can have children if they wished. The only thing, the ONLY thing that is different is that they cannot have sex and naturally produce a baby of their own, obviously because they are both males and need female reproductive organs to procreate. Some people actually quote this against gay marriage. To me, they are just splitting hairs and should be ashamed for it.

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:31pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

I need to remember to quote. The entire post was in response to Asherlee.

As for why homosexuals can see a need to be married (big church wedding and all), besides the love and the legal parts, can be symbol (which I have mentioned a couple of times now) that becomes a stronger need when you are not accepted as a pair. Being married and letting the world see that you are together in sickness and health seems to be a stronger need, to fit in, and show the world.
The second reason seem to be religion. That you want that churchly blessing that will make your marriage a happy and peaceful one.
And, well, some might have the urge like some women seem to have, and want it to be big and fabulous.
Idk. I guess those are my points. Can't really argue properly, since DK is a lot more large on the whole marriage-of-the-gay than say the USofA.

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:38pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

I guess this is why I won't stay. I don't stubbornly claim that my opinion is the one and only true opinion, and is made of fact and whatever. That usually f up a lot of proper discussion.

Staying to allow your opinion to be challenged allows you to confirm or adjust that stance.

On the flamboyancy seen in some homosexuals, could it be comparable to the behavior seen in some teen girls? Often stereotypically depicted from teens in groups on a shopping spree. The whole overly excited "OMG! that is to much!" attitude over seemingly nothing.

Since we see this behavior from some girls often sitting on the extreme feminine point of the scale it would also stand to reason we would see homosexuals also displaying similar mannerisms who also are sitting on the extreme feminine side of the scale.

Since seeing males behave in this way is outside our social norms it would stand to reason that we would take a greater notice to it when it occurs.

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:40pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,189 posts

Knight

Cen, I agree, as always! Building theories that involve sexuality seem to be as easy as catching a greased pig at midnight.

I do recall another article from about a year ago. It seems they are actually developing a way for homosexual couples to conceive children of their own. In short, it said there is a way to extract DNA from bone marrow and create sperms and eggs from either a male or a female. Then you have it fertilized and set into a surrogate mother.

Though, it sounds complicated and potentially hazardous, it is something nonetheless.

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 4:47pm

nevetsthereaper

nevetsthereaper

558 posts

that might be working on someone elses terms, i mean evolution and religion aside, isn't there that bad association with playing god and whatnot, not just the christian god either (to avoid countless replies on how im a religious freak, cuz im totally not). you know aht i mean tho, why reinvent the wheel is all im saying. seems like natural reproduction works pretty good to me, seems like trying to invent a way to create life is getting on the unethical side of the spectrum.

Reply to Gay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

You must be logged in to post a reply!