ForumsWEPRGay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

561 106667
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I personally think that it should be legal cause it doesnt hurt anybody and everyone has the right to marry who they love.

• 561 Replies
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

lol, expand......

I lolled

nah not really but I still dont like them. :P

Shuttit aliengirl, if you cant be serious go make a topic in the tavern saying how much you wanna argue with people... or better yet go on yahoo chat and find some willing participant.

I don't agree with gay marriage at all..it's just not right.

Take out the "gay" from your statement and we will see eye to eye. Noone said you had to recieve :P
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Im not homophobic... I HATE GAY PEOPLE.

Oh no, of course that doesn't mean you're homophobic.
It just means you're bipolar. =P
But really...if you're going to joke, take it out of the serious thread.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

What is with the influx of opinions replacing thoughts and not being the result of one?

sgtpeppers508
sgtpeppers508
50 posts
Peasant

I think that marriage isn't necessarily required for love, but it's more of a symbolic thing. So, yes I think it should be legal.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Religious beliefs shouln't effect anyones opinions of people. Gays are people, humans and should be allowed the same standards and qualities of human rights the same as anyone else/

Im religious and gay, no problemo.
Christians seem to argue with the bible, but the only verse which shows God's total wrath towards gays is Leviticus 18, and even that does not mention lesbians. Plus, leviticus isn't God, airgo, God didn't say it.

Arguing against gay mariages on the basis of religion is one of the most hypocritical things people can do.
The bible mentions the rights of owning a slave which a lot of people used to fuel the acceptance of the slave trade? How many people would say it's correct to import and enslave thousands of Africans because the Bible says that's alright?
Thou shalt not kill, i'm sure most Christians recognise that as a commandment, as something we are supposed to follow. Ever heard of the crusades? The Popes secret army? So since that's in religion, should it of been legal or not?

The ten commandments are our guidelines in life. The rules which we are supposed to follow in order to live our lives like Jesus. So where in all ten do we see anthing homophobic?
Answer me that intelligently and i'll gladly change my view.

& to everyone quoting

Im not homophobic... I HATE GAY PEOPLE.

I think the question should be why?
& Moving away from religion, why can those in the thread being homophobic only relate to the sexual orientation? Sexual orientation isn't what defines someone. What about their other qualities as an individual, as a human being?
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

Religious beliefs shouln't effect anyones opinions of people. Gays are people, humans and should be allowed the same standards and qualities of human rights the same as anyone else/

But religious beliefs do effect peoples views on other people, it is taught as their life, if someone believes and action is wrong or evil such as being homosexual, and they are taught that anyone who is involved in those actions, how are they not meant to let those teachings effect their views on other people

Christians seem to argue with the bible, but the only verse which shows God's total wrath towards gays is Leviticus 18, and even that does not mention lesbians. Plus, leviticus isn't God, airgo, God didn't say it.

the bible argues with itself, and if you ignore Leviticus why use the rest of the bible, I have never seen how most of the old testament and much of the new testament is of any theological or moral use whatsoever

Arguing against gay mariages on the basis of religion is one of the most hypocritical things people can do.
The bible mentions the rights of owning a slave which a lot of people used to fuel the acceptance of the slave trade? How many people would say it's correct to import and enslave thousands of Africans because the Bible says that's alright?
Thou shalt not kill, i'm sure most Christians recognise that as a commandment, as something we are supposed to follow. Ever heard of the crusades? The Popes secret army? So since that's in religion, should it of been legal or not?

so again this furthers my point, how is the bible useful in any way
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I study the Bible at university right, and i completely agree with you to an extent. How is it useful in any way?
To most it's useful in the sense it gives people hope, a sense of belonging and community.
In a non religious view however it can still be seen as useful, historically. I mean the Bible gives us emporers names, dates, places. Facts, facts aside from any theology in the book. Facts that have let us uncover timelines and find ancient cities.
But that's a whole other debate.

But religious beliefs do effect peoples views on other people, it is taught as their life, if someone believes and action is wrong or evil such as being homosexual, and they are taught that anyone who is involved in those actions, how are they not meant to let those teachings effect their views on other people.

I understand this and i know it's the truth. I can't argue with it. I don't deny it, but i still ask why? Why does our socieity have to discrimate, stereotype and alienate?

Gay marriage is legal in a few states in America, throughout Europe. It's legal where i live in Ireland and i can only hope that by the time i have children the world will have progressed further.

Just because i'm a different sexuality, why should i not be entitled to spend my life with the woman i love in marriage?
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

However;

[quote]I have never seen how most of the old testament and much of the new testament is of any theological or moral use whatsoever.[/quote

Abusing the teachings in an individual choice, but thou shall not kill, steal. Obey thy mother and father. I believe that shows moral use.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Sorry for messing up the quote.

&& is, not in.**

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

There is also the verse where Paul argues against homosexuality including lesbians.

Romans 1:24-27 (NIV)
Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.
In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Wiki has a list of homosexuality being mentioned in the Bible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_homosexuality

As you said yourself right here it was used to fuel acceptance of th slave trade, so there were many people who said it's correct because the Bible says so.

Abusing the teachings in an individual choice, but thou shall not kill, steal. Obey thy mother and father. I believe that shows moral use.

And we can find passages contradicting each one.

And on what a marriage is for the lulz.
Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

As you said yourself right here it was used to fuel acceptance of th slave trade, so there were many people who said it's correct because the Bible says so.

Yes, and it was later deemed wrong. Just like banning gay marriage will be deemed wrong. Or at least I hope it will.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yes, and it was later deemed wrong. Just like banning gay marriage will be deemed wrong. Or at least I hope it will.

So do I, bu i don't see how one can say they derive their morals from such text after doing so.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

I don't think you can force the Churches to accept gay marriages, but on the government stand point, yes it should be legal so all gay couples can have the same advantages of a married statue.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Well probably not all the churchs but there might be one somewhere that will accept homosexuality enough to marry gays.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Many churches will never accept the idea of gay marriage; that's just the way religion works.

I am an avid supporter of gay marriage, though I am not gay. For one, it doesn't hurt anybody. Another point: boys and girls can marry if they love it other, so why can't two boys or two girls?
Long ago, discrimination against race was deemed wrong by the American people. Is discrimination by sexual preference any better?

Showing 271-285 of 561