Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Gay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 4:42pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

Christians seem to argue with the bible, but the only verse which shows God's total wrath towards gays is Leviticus 18, and even that does not mention lesbians. Plus, leviticus isn't God, airgo, God didn't say it.

There is also the verse where Paul argues against homosexuality including lesbians.

Romans 1:24-27 (NIV)
Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.
In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Wiki has a list of homosexuality being mentioned in the Bible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_ … osexuality

The bible mentions the rights of owning a slave which a lot of people used to fuel the acceptance of the slave trade? How many people would say it's correct to import and enslave thousands of Africans because the Bible says that's alright?

As you said yourself right here it was used to fuel acceptance of th slave trade, so there were many people who said it's correct because the Bible says so.

Abusing the teachings in an individual choice, but thou shall not kill, steal. Obey thy mother and father. I believe that shows moral use.

And we can find passages contradicting each one.

And on what a marriage is for the lulz.
Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 5:01pm

dair5

dair5

2,479 posts

As you said yourself right here it was used to fuel acceptance of th slave trade, so there were many people who said it's correct because the Bible says so.

Yes, and it was later deemed wrong. Just like banning gay marriage will be deemed wrong. Or at least I hope it will.

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 5:12pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

Yes, and it was later deemed wrong. Just like banning gay marriage will be deemed wrong. Or at least I hope it will.

So do I, bu i don't see how one can say they derive their morals from such text after doing so.

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 5:18pm

loloynage2

loloynage2

3,106 posts

I don't think you can force the Churches to accept gay marriages, but on the government stand point, yes it should be legal so all gay couples can have the same advantages of a married statue.

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 5:22pm

dair5

dair5

2,479 posts

Well probably not all the churchs but there might be one somewhere that will accept homosexuality enough to marry gays.

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 5:24pm

snowguy13

snowguy13

700 posts

Many churches will never accept the idea of gay marriage; that's just the way religion works.

I am an avid supporter of gay marriage, though I am not gay. For one, it doesn't hurt anybody. Another point: boys and girls can marry if they love it other, so why can't two boys or two girls?
Long ago, discrimination against race was deemed wrong by the American people. Is discrimination by sexual preference any better?

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 5:46pm

TheDoctor7

TheDoctor7

32 posts

I don't see anything wrong with gay marriage. As snowguy13 said, it's just discrimination.

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 6:14pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

Well probably not all the churchs but there might be one somewhere that will accept homosexuality enough to marry gays.

Vegas!

I doubt many gay couples would be against it not being held in a church, as the only people fighting them being allowed to do so are the religious. It's more for the government rights and stuff, as well as acknowledgement of being legitimately together.

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 7:08pm

dair5

dair5

2,479 posts

Yeah but some are still religous and would prefer it in church. Like Jefferysinsperation. At least I think she does. And if not, like Kasic said theres always Vegas.

Posted Jun 13, '11 at 7:19pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

If your referring to Christian churches there are several that have no problem with gay marriage at all.

Reply to Gay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

You must be logged in to post a reply!