ForumsWEPRDoes free will exist?

209 37919
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

A classic argument. State whether you think free will exists or does not and give your argument.

• 209 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

identical then they would make the same choices in the same situation.

The sentence does not make sense. Reword please.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

If you take two people and put them through the SAME EXACT life experience they will turn out the EXACT SAME.

This is not logic, it is another opinion. Yes, they might act the same but they will not be the same. They will still have different minds. No one has the same mind which makes us different from one another. We may agree on some things while disagree on others.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

This is not logic, it is another opinion.

Brain works in a certain way.

My logic is basically saying that if you clone a person, they will act the same.

Yes, they might act the same but they will not be the same. They will still have different minds. No one has the same mind which makes us different from one another. We may agree on some things while disagree on others.

You can't say 1=1 but at the same time it doesn't! :-%
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

My logic is basically saying that if you clone a person, they will act the same.

I said they would act the same but they would still not be the same person. There are still going to be differences with the brain.

You can't say 1=1 but at the same time it doesn't! :-%

Since when are numbers, people? You can't take the complex brain and compare it to a simple math equation.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Sorry, my point is, they would have to be genetically identical and have the same experiences to be the same.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Sorry, my point is, they would have to be genetically identical and have the same experiences to be the same.

Not too much genetically, but same experiences.

Yea thats my point if you put 2 people in the same experience, they will turn out the same.
tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

they won't turn out the same because they will not perceive those experiences the same way. they are two separate minds. different thoughts, views, and feelings.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I said they would act the same but they would still not be the same person. There are still going to be differences with the brain.

Sure one might have dust on it and the other one not.

Since when are numbers, people? You can't take the complex brain and compare it to a simple math equation.

Math is another form to put logic. The rules for math seem to be the same throughout the universe. The most complex physics theories evolve around math.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

they won't turn out the same because they will not perceive those experiences the same way. they are two separate minds. different thoughts, views, and feelings.

Thats the whole point of what I am saying :-$
You get different thoughts, views, and feelings from experience. You are not born with them. Thats blasphemy!
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

This is a very classic thought experiment in philosophy. Answering this question will give you insight as to what you think a "mind" is, and for some it comes down to a question of a "soul."
I think both would have to be genetically identical, in fact, identical in every way and then present with exact circumstances in order for the question to work, though.
What is your mind, though? For that matter, what is consciousness? Is it all brain activity or is there something else going on there?

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

you got some screwy logic there Drace. you confuse the hell outta me.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Sure one might have dust on it and the other one not.

Okay, how about this. Let's just take it right to the beginning. We all start off as an egg. We are all the same, right? However, we all will still turn out differently. I know you are talking about life experiences but we all are still born with different thoughts so no matter what you do, they will be different.

You get different thoughts, views, and feelings from experience.

Your brain decides how you deal with those thoughts and views though. Let's say we are both against the Iraq war. That is the same view. However, I might have more of an aggressive side (which is from the brain) so I might protest. You may have more of a passive side (brain again) so you decide to just stay at home. We still have the same view but my brain is telling me to become aggressive and do something about it.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Why is it that we all have different personalities?

I suppose it is because through different experiences, we get different thoughts.

The ideas we get later are formed from these thoughts. So if âbadâ thoughts were in your head. You will develop on âbadâ thoughts and become more âbadâ. So all your ideas are formed on previous ones.

@Moe

Ahh Moe, I have answered that question somewhere on here. Quite funny how we all ways talk about "our brain", like our minds are different from it, and I do believe it is.
I believe the mind is just the "viewer" of our activity. The brain processes information and lets some be released into our mind.
That information I suppose would be thoughts. Now that we do many things unconsciously.
So the mind isn't necessarily a soul though. I think a mind is what makes us different from rocks and grass. You can say they have a "brain", but not a mind.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Same view doesn't mean we have the same thought.
We can have two different thoughts and be against the Iraq war.

See, you may be aggressive against the Iraq war because your husband died in the war.
If I had that thought in my head, that my husband died, then i too would be aggressive.

Its life experience.

We form new ideas on old ones. So personality forms.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

Free will and it's counterpart, reason or judgment, is what separates us from all of the other creatures on this Earth. The ability to let life experiences influence or decisions is part of free will. I can choose to keep the personality I have based on my experience or I can choose to reform and forget my past.

If you really think that life experience is the sole factor in desicion making, then what made decide to take up this topic?

Showing 121-135 of 209