ForumsWEPRDoes free will exist?

209 37878
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

A classic argument. State whether you think free will exists or does not and give your argument.

• 209 Replies
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

guys, being "emo" is a treatable disease of the mind. being emo is not a choice, but a sickness, and it can be treated by therapy. No one chooses to be emo, people are born with this disease, just as some people are born crippled or blind or def, the don't chose to be that way, they just are.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

just as some people are born crippled or blind or def, the don't chose to be that way, they just are.

Its more of a psychological disease. Its not a disease, but don't know the word for it. Emos usually have problems in their lives.

Your not born emo.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Umm, you were BORN INTO a Native American tribe, you didn't join one lol. And whoever was in it, went with them and became one of them, meaning ate the same food, same kind of clothes, and same traditions.

You can be BORN INTO a Catholic family and choose to follow Christian values. Most kids turn out much different than their parents.

And that would mean that...you are not born with a brain that makes you emo.

You are born with a brain that makes you react the way you do. These people will find others like them to be accepted by society.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

it is a psychological disease, and I HAVE a friend that was born with it. She has a normal and happy life, but she has to go to therapy because she has emotional disorders, mainly doing with depression. I used to have an anger problem, I was born like that. I had developmental Dispraxia which means that my brain was under mature. I had to take therapy lessons and I was put on a pill that made me so I couldn't be angry. She takes a similar pill that does the same thing, except with depression. She doesn't have the same disorder as I did, but she was still born with a disorder.

Btw, My brain is fully grown now and I am normal.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

look around here[url=http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/d/depressive_disorders/subtypes.htm]
and see what I am trying to get through

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Ahh I see, well happy for you and your friend

But still, your not quite born emo. You may be born with a depression, but you got yourself into the emo group, no?

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

You can't be born "depressed". If you look a children with disorders, (mental, usually) you can't tell that their different. Their behaviors usually show you that they have a disorder after a year or so.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

FREE WILL DOES EXIST!!!!! If it didn't then none of us would be better than mindless robots.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

If it didn't then none of us would be better than mindless robots.

We are mindFUL robots
Thats why humans are quite unique. Our minds seem to be diverse from the brain, but really, its the brain controlling us.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Subconcious is the one controlling us, only part of the brain. It controls involuntary actions like your heart beating and memory which would influence your mind or free will.

Memory seems to be what causes humans to do what they want to..

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

To sum this thread up, it really depends on your definition of free will. There are two ways you can look at free will.

1) We do have free will. We still make the choices even if they will affect us later. We can freely choose what to do in a situation. Even if there are obstacles in the way, we can choose how to go about them. We can give up or keep moving on.

2) We don't really have free will. We can choose but it is based on our past experiences. We learn from our mistakes and make later choices based on those mistakes. Our subconscious minds stop us from doing something freely. It's like when you put your hand on the stove, most likely you won't do it again.

Did I sum this up pretty good?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Haha lets just finish this up but no Total, #2 is not even close :-$

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

I'm convinced that ArmorGames has taken all of our free will away...

cycloolephin
cycloolephin
73 posts
Nomad

Well, from my point of view, it does. GOD already knows everything that will happen, meaning that, in a sense, it already has. (I think, so don't quote me.) But, He says in the Bible that we have free will, and it's OUR choice of what we do. Obviously GOD doesn't lie, so it must be true. Of course, if you don't believe in GOD, this doesn't mean much to you.

Showing 196-209 of 209