ForumsWEPRDoes free will exist?

209 37881
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

A classic argument. State whether you think free will exists or does not and give your argument.

• 209 Replies
SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

My point is that you change through experience. So If I had your body go through the same experience he did, all your life, you would turn out the same. Actually your brain, because body features are quite different.

That's not entirely true and I thought that most behaviorist psychology went out in the 60s didn't it?

Most modern psychological studies and major psychologists agree that human development is a mixture of reactions to your surroundings as well as innate tenancies. If for examlpe you were swapped at birth for for another child we most likely wouldn't be having this conversation with him because he wouldn't have turned out exactly like you as he would have made different choices and faced different circumstances then you have in your life due to the innate differences between you and this imaginary person.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

If for examlpe you were swapped at birth for for another child we most likely wouldn't be having this conversation with him because he wouldn't have turned out exactly like you as he would have made different choices and faced different circumstances then you have in your life due to the innate differences between you and this imaginary person.

The point is that you make choices based on past experiences. So if this other baby, looked just as me (Because looks affects your life), then he would would be who I am now, and I'd be whoever he was would be.
SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

The point is that you make choices based on past experiences. So if this other baby, looked just as me (Because looks affects your life), then he would would be who I am now, and I'd be whoever he was would be.

Potential differences in athleticism, natural social skills, and innate intelligence would all factor in, not just appearance. If there was a criminal and a university professor who looked identical, were the same age, but came from different parents, and we went back in time and switched the babies we wouldn't have the same criminal and university professor, we might not even have those two life style choices as the original pair.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Umm no, to be concise there's laws.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Ok well those are factors as well.

This was not my point though. I'm saying that free will does not exist, and your thoughts are affected by previous ones.

Whether your born cute/ugly, athletic or not...

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Actually, what you look like among other things are controlled by DNA and genetic information. When a male and female mate, their genetic info is passed on through sperm and egg. The human has 46 chromosomes in each cell. 23 from mom, and 23 from dad. along with other factors, there are dominant and recessive traits, i.e. freckles, If your mom and dad had freckles, there is a good chance you'll get freckles. We can divide and examine these traits by use of punnett square charts. here is a good example of one.
these traits can affect anything and everything, such as I have similar eyes as my mother, but I have similar eyes to my father. This also affects your personal preferences. So really you don't have choice over stuff like that.

@ Drace,
I understand where you are coming at, It is called Cyclical History, for example, when you first have chocolate, it tastes good, so you are going to get chocolate again, you are talking on a different base against free will. free will is that you WILL to do something not controlled by an outside force. free will means that you can do what you want and no one can tell you otherwise. You are coming off of something totally different. I really like your theory, though.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

sorry, my mother side is tastes, my bad.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Physical dualism.

Your brain is the outside force. Your mind is controlled by the brain. What you see do and act is controlled by the brain.

You have no consciousness of the brains activity.

SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

Yes, I used to think the same thing, however it's not really true that the brain is an external force and that it's in any way different then the mind. Rather my new view is that the mind is just an extension of the brain itself which in turn says that we do have fee will (if you describe free will as being able to choose action without outside intervention).

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

So If I had your body go through the same experience he did, all your life, you would turn out the same.

Not true at all. There are multiple reasons I can state as to why that sentence is false, but I'm short on time. The first reason to come to mind is that we are all different individuals, you can't ignore the different personalities. There are internal factors that change the way a person behaves, it's not just external factors that affect our behavior. If a child's parents raised him/her using a certain method, for example, say they are very strict, a child's personality could affect the way he/she reacts to that parenting method. While one child raised by strict parents with strict guidelines can accept that and live with it, another child raised by the exact same method might rebel. By the way, I forgot to mention that in that example, both children went through the same exact experiences, because I understand certain incidents such as family member death could affect a person's behavior, but ignore all that, they went through the same exact experiences, it still doesn't change that they could turn out different.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Well things have to happen for a reason. Free will is non-logical.

The brain is different then the mind. I cannot control my brain. My mind is just the viewer. But of course the mind is part of the brains functions, probably.

Like the client of the program.

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

of course it does.. but then again i think i was going to post that before i knew it, maybe i was destined to post this!!!!

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

@Skyla.

Where do you suppose personality comes from?

Thoughts are produced based on former ones. Thoughts contradict all the time, thats why one may rebel and the other not.

Why do you think it is so simple to tell a fairy tale to a child? They will listen and they will listen to it good because they dont have any thoughts to contradict the idea that monsters don't exist.

Waterpologuy
Waterpologuy
227 posts
Nomad

I say it does exist because if it doesnt, im going to be very depressed with my life.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I say it does exist because if it doesnt, im going to be very depressed with my life.

Your emotions are controlled by your brain.

It is possible for someone to be happy at the worst of times. It is possible for you to think that 2+2 = 5
Showing 151-165 of 209