ForumsWEPRDoes free will exist?

209 37880
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

A classic argument. State whether you think free will exists or does not and give your argument.

• 209 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

If you really think that life experience is the sole factor in desicion making, then what made decide to take up this topic?

My brain? The thought came into my head, and I have a thought that there is a section for things like on Armorgames, people on Armorgames might enjoy this, I always been interested to post things. Combine them and you get something like "Post this theory on Armorgames". =D
MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

free will...hmmm i think that free will is just wat our brain or conciounce (spelling) wants us to do...plus the laws of physics may encounter when wanting to do sumthing and that wanting to do is wat many ppl call free will (i think)

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Taken from the Oxford American Dictionary
free will
noun
the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

Well there you go, straight from the dictionary. Where does it say ANYTHING about past experiences in there? Hmm?

Of course there is free will. I decide what shirt and pants I put on, I decide what I eat in the morning, I decide what I do during the day.

Life experiences don't make these decisions for me, I make them myself. Past experiences just influence your decisions, but they don't make them for you.
MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

wat do u think prison is like? barley any free will the way ur talking bout (steevo15)

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Those were only examples, that is not what my definition of free will is... In prison, they do have their free will TAKEN away from them to a certain extent... but they still do have free will. The prisoners get to decide what to make of the situation that they are in.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

You can't blame a criminal for being a criminal. Until I make that point, I will not stop arguing.

the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

What is one's own discretion?

The mind is different from the brain. Brain makes decisions.
MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

a criminal made the decision to rob the bank or shoot the cop or sells drugs but ur decision...is ur decision

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

If I put your body in the same experience as that "criminal", you would have done the exact same.

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

of course it does.. do i turn right or do i turn left.. it exists to an extent.. perhaps the majority of what we do has already been defined but we make the choice to do it.. ie if we do turn right then series A occurs but if we turn left series B occurs (if this makes sense)..

but then again this is all if you care about it..

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

The problem with free will is that it is not logical.

You must do things for a reason, how do you just choose to do something?

You do it for a reason, whatever it may be.

Simple things as what you eat, wear, drink, bla bla, are chosen because of your likings.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Drace said: You must do things for a reason

And why must you do something for a reason? Since when is that defined as true?
MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

Drace...bout ur comment responding to mine...it depends if i had my own thoughts of free will cause if i had his brain and his body i WOULD be him and if he had my body and brain he WOULD be me

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

"And why must you do something for a reason? Since when is that defined as true?"

-steevo15

Things must work follow the physical, logical, and mathimatical laws. ANYTHING in the universe.
Our minds cant just do something out of no where.

@MarkedTarget6

My point is that you change through experience. So If I had your body go through the same experience he did, all your life, you would turn out the same. Actually your brain, because body features are quite different.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Huh. Anybody mind filling me in on what's happening right now?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Free will does not, and it is not possible for it to exist.

Showing 136-150 of 209