ForumsWEPR[Necro] Does God exist?

697 244179
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

since there really s no topic on whether or not he really exists and created people i decided to make one

start debating... NOW!

• 697 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

my faith when you seem to know everything about this.

We were trying to debunk your false statement.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Why are you quoting other people and trying to
debunk
my faith when you seem to know everything about this.

If you heard someone say all apples are purple, would you not attempt to correct them? If they further said that people who say that all apples are not purple are sinners and evil, would you not think that a problem that needs addressing? If they then further commited crimes against you/people who do not believe all apples are purple, would you not think this a VERY serious problem?
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

so now I would think this is a problem but what relevence to me is there in your statement

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

so now I would think this is a problem but what relevence to me is there in your statement

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Going off my last post...The relevance to you is that you asked why we were trying to prove you wrong. The reason I do at least, is because it simply can do no good, but only harm. It may not harm, but it will never, ever, help someone. Sure you can go into it's good to have hope, and it's good to believe in something, but hope doesn't change anything, and believing in something so radically that it impairs your most important function of all, that's when it becomes a serious issue. When hundreds of thousands of people can be brainwashed to hate, to do wrong, to be violent and irrational, that is a problem that I feel needs to stop. I don't care about those who do not cause those problems, that is their pejorative to believe what they want, but when it impedes others, and they force those beliefs on people, and hurt them, scare them, and harass them for it, that needs to be stopped. All because some people can't look at what's in front of them, aren't willing to, simply because they've been raised to believe something. Just because you are raised some way doesn't mean you have to follow it, you should always be questioning what is right and wrong, not blindly following.
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

When hundreds of thousands of people can be brainwashed to hate, to do wrong, to be violent and irrational

You seem to think that I am some sort of terrorist, I do not hate anybody. Furthermore I question what is right and wrong each day and each day I come to the same conclusion: God exists. I question other matters but that is irrelevant.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

You seem to think that I am some sort of terrorist,

where did he say that?! he said that Christianity/theism in general causes these things, he wasn't accusing you directly

Furthermore I question what is right and wrong each day and each day I come to the same conclusion: God exists

talk me through the questions your asking yourself and the answwers you come to
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Real intelligence here.

When hundreds of thousands of people can be brainwashed to hate, to do wrong, to be violent and irrational

I don't think religion is necessarily any of these things, the main problem with religion as I see it, is not that people believe in it, it's that it hasn't changed. It's akin to using the morals and codes of the Roman era to guide the society of today. We will use the Constitution of the United States as an example, while it has lasted for the last 200+ years, when first created it was very flexible, as to allow the society to shape it, so that the rules of the past wouldn't govern the people of the future. Religion and it's texts being the 'word of god' have done no such thing. This does in effect push the rules of of a society 2000 years gone onto the modern day world.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I don't think religion is necessarily any of these things, the main problem with religion as I see it, is not that people believe in it, it's that it hasn't changed.

True. Although the way religion is set up, either you follow it or = Sinner.

You "can't" change it, not without violating what it is. And what it is is just that, a 2000 year old (In Christianity's case) set of morals that today are horrifying if followed to the letter. Thankfully, most people have the sense to not take certain books seriously. (I'm looking at you Leviticus and Deuteronomy)

You seem to think that I am some sort of terrorist, I do not hate anybody

No, I don't think you are. However, according to your religion, you should hate gay people, people who have been divorced, people who worship other gods, people who have blasphemied your god, people who have had oral/**** sex, not to mention a bazillion other things. You fit into this category I listed.

It may not harm, but it will never, ever, help someone. Sure you can go into it's good to have hope, and it's good to believe in something, but hope doesn't change anything, and believing in something so radically that it impairs your most important function of all, that's when it becomes a serious issue.

Most people who believe in religion are here. They don't really do much harm, they stick to themselves/their group, and try to follow what they believe about that particular religion. They also aren't all that willing to actually take a good look at their faith, they are comfortable with it and it gives them a feeling of security. However, when push comes to shove, they may believe that things can be fixed via praying, or that God will protect them somehow. This is where it starts to get bad. Plus, it's just plain annoying to hear people always trying to tell you that God exists and then having them accuse you of picking on them when they can't back it up.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Well it's not easy to back up faith, something you just have to blindly believe in.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I don't think religion is necessarily any of these things, the main problem with religion as I see it, is not that people believe in it, it's that it hasn't changed. It's akin to using the morals and codes of the Roman era to guide the society of today.

I find your later statement to be the main problem with it.

Well it's not easy to back up faith, something you just have to blindly believe in.

It's a lack of critical thinking, something that just has to be accepted.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I can see how there would be a problem with that, but it doesn't mean they lack critical thinking, it more often than is a form of brainwashing as they're told "this is the omnipotent power that rules your life" since before they're able to think. At some point it just become coded into the brain.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I can see how there would be a problem with that, but it doesn't mean they lack critical thinking, it more often than is a form of brainwashing as they're told "this is the omnipotent power that rules your life" since before they're able to think. At some point it just become coded into the brain.

If they are just going on what was drilled into them that does mean it's a lack of critical thinking.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

What I meant was that it doesn't mean they lack critical thinking skills in all walks of life, just the one.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What I meant was that it doesn't mean they lack critical thinking skills in all walks of life, just the one.

How many times do we see it spill over into other areas?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

since before they're able to think.

I can not ever remember a time when I was unable to think because I was young. My earliest memory is from sometime when I was 2 years old, and I can recall thoughts I had then.

How many times do we see it spill over into other areas?

Perhaps it's just that type of person who's likely to believe in these sort of things. Maybe if they weren't raised to be religious, they'd believe something else they heard of first.
Showing 631-645 of 697