ForumsNews and Feedback[AG3 Feature] User-to-User Private Messages

110 25279
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I just confirmed with Larry that we're going to build a way for users to send private messages to one another, but the recipient will be able to flag the message as spam/abuse.

We don't know yet exactly what it will look like, but it's on the "to-do" list.

• 110 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

But I don't ha--oh, it's an example! lol....isn't it?

I thought examples were defined with EX: or Example:....
XXAlienGirlXX
XXAlienGirlXX
810 posts
Nomad

You can't block moderators, there problem solved

Darn, so close... >
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

well, then the mods just ban you without warning you. Your better off allwing them.

But I don't ha--oh, it's an example! lol....isn't it?

yes, well It was an example. Unless of course you do hate little old me.

I thought examples were defined with EX: or Example:....

Thats for poor people.
XXAlienGirlXX
XXAlienGirlXX
810 posts
Nomad

well, then the mods just ban you without warning you. Your better off allwing them.

I'm talking about when buttefly lady kept sending me those annoying messages.
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Great news Ian.

Also, mods should not be able to see PRIVATE messages.

If there's a problem, users can just take a screenshot and show it to a mod.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Blocking admins or moderators is impossible in any sensible system. Good news now the speculation over this specific issue can finally be put to rest.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I think that mods and admins should (and probably WILL) be able to check out the PM's users send oneanother and that just fine with me! =D

Honest people have nothing to hide... and when people want to talk about REALLY private matters that even the mods and admins shouldn't know about because they're -you know, errr- 'rivate', then people can always exchange email adresses and do it that way!

And those email adresses can then be send through the PM for instance... there, problem solved!

Oats
Oats
28 posts
Nomad

Knight here, I believe there really is no point in private messaging if others will be able to see. Then again, that is why one should take clandestine matters off-site.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To everyone asking about moderator intervention: For our user's privacy sake, we won't actively monitor private messages looking for troublemakers -- in some states, that's actually against the law.

If you flag something as inappropriate, we'll likely let you specify "why" (examples: spam, abusive, foul language, or types of comments that are against our user policies, etc), but maybe the type of flag will determine whether we have permission to view the message thread.

Frankly, I don't know that we as admins/mods *want* to see your message threads unless you really need us to. I think if it's just spam or someone bugging you or annoying you, we'll probably give you an option to just ban them from sending you messages in the future, and users you ban won't know your messages aren't getting through (we call it a "black hole" in the world of web development). Maybe we'll keep track of how many users flag you as a spammer, and restrict who you can send PMs to or something, I dunno.

However, if someone sends something abusive, we'd definitely want to take action, but we'd likely need explicit permission to see the message thread.

Admins aren't always around to delete messages; in fact, it's really not their job.

Correct, but there may be cases where even our mods aren't sure about what to do, especially when things relate to complying with law enforcement.

As for cleaning up your messages, you'll be responsible for deleting your own messages, or we may opt to delete them after a long period of time.

Keep the suggestions coming on this. We've only just started talking about PM's this week, so we're happy to hear everyone's thoughts.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I think that the option suggested by cormyn is exactly the one that should be used as a PM system for the AG3 version, simply because it will be the safest to use in this way...

...users can use the PM system in private (like it's sopposed to be) and when they need help, they can adress the mods/admins and give them (maybe one time only) permission to check it and/or handle it!

Sound the most solid to me!

I wonder: will it be implemented as a 'fixed feature' on every AG page you will open, or will it only be accessable through your personal profile? :/

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure how we'll build it. I think the pages will look too cluttered if there's a &quotrivate message" link or icon next to every username, but since every username will be a link to their profile, we'll probably add a page on your profile that says "Send MrDayCee a Private Message" or something along those lines.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I don't think we'd send an Email for every private message sent. We might do it as part of a daily digest or something, because we don't want to get flagged as a spamming service. We'd likely also make this a configurable option for users (maybe off by default too) as to whether to receive an Email when a PM is sent.

25wes25
25wes25
1,584 posts
Nomad

I don't think we'd send an Email for every private message sent. We might do it as part of a daily digest or something, because we don't want to get flagged as a spamming service. We'd likely also make this a configurable option for users (maybe off by default too) as to whether to receive an Email when a PM is sent.

Yea i hate getting an email for stuff like that. Best to use a check box.
deadhead50
deadhead50
342 posts
Nomad

thats a helpful feature... now i just need to find someone on armor games that i know so i can send them messages XD

25wes25
25wes25
1,584 posts
Nomad

You know me now Hi im wes. XD

Showing 16-30 of 110