ForumsNews and FeedbackComment/Rate wait increase

58 13740
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Old suggestion... felt like re-posting in heearee.

Anyway, so I think it would be agreeable that you have to play at least 5 minutes of any flash game to actually play it. So, why not restrict comments and rating to that time? It could includes links to what spam is and how to get merits for non-forum venturers.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/grahaam/gamewaiting.png

The spam link could go to a page like this:
(made up the names)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/grahaam/whatisspam.png

The Read up on how to get merits link could go to a thread like this.

Along with an unlocker, you could create a separate comment system so you actually have to wait 5 minutes between each comment, to prevent tabbed games.. maybe a rate timer too..

• 58 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I do agree it will prevent rate-spamming. However, it is not going to force a person to create a non-spammy comment. Let's say I'm a person that doesn't give a crap about the integrity of AG. I play the game for 5 minutes and still write:

THIS GAME SUX!

Final note, I do, also, agree it would reduce some spam. But is it worth the 5 minute timer?

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Maybe not five minutes, but the timer does seem like a good thing. And I feel that the amount of spam would decrease making it much easier to find out who the repeat offenders are.

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

All good, sounds like a good idea, might stop me spam rating to get that final 10 AP for a new set of Armatars xD Only to discover they suck and end up still using this..

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

At the risk of being completely off topic: We all have. You are not alone in this disappointment.

But yes it would stop people in a rush to get to the next set of armatars. Or that small outbreak we had a few months ago who played every game on this site in about a week.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

this sounds like a really good idea.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Even though I really appreciate the effort it took you, Graham to present this idea and I like your concept...
Mmm,
I don't know about the 5 minute timer.
I think I would know sooner than 5 minutes if I didn't like a game, especially if it's glitchy. Now, I'm stuck with this annoying game until the timer is up before I can leave a comment? I don't think that I'm patient enough and I'm an adult! Sorry, but I can see a more potential spams/flames with this idea.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

However, it is not going to force a person to create a non-spammy comment.

Nothing will. Just have links to inform what spam is.

especially if it's glitchy.

I've only seen one game that passed through to the homepage that had a major glitch.

But is it worth the 5 minute timer?

Maybe not five minutes,

I don't know about the 5 minute timer.

How long is 5 minutes really? To get some frame of reference I'll start a timer on playing Warlords 2. I finished the first level as Men of the West and was in buying a unit screen. But that's a long game!

Fragger Lost City: I had to do level 6 twice, I barely got to level 8.

Nanopath: I got to level 10.

Remember, these are all games I've played before, so there's no needing to look how to play it.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I think this is a good idea but I have to agree with Hypermnestra: five minutes aren't a long time. Personally I think no one needs to comment more times a game and I think that after a comment the message should say "thanks for your comment! Now if you want other AP go playing another game!" but I know it will never be so. However I think five minutes is the minimum timer it should be.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

I completely support a five minute limit, as long as it applies to game commenting only. A five minute timer with effectively deter spammers. Put in a character limit and those lazy "good game" people will be forced to get up off their arses. If you don't have the patience to wait a mere five minutes... well, that's very funny.

especially if it's glitchy.

I've only seen one game that passed through to the homepage that had a major glitch.

Yes. It ought to be tested well enough before submittal to get rid of major game wrecking issues. That is almost always the case.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

but I have to agree with Hypermnestra:

I had this armatar before him.. :c
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Ops so sorry Graham I have mistook you with Hypermnestra you have the same armatar now...how embarrassing.
As you can see my post is related only to games comments.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

@Graham

Hypermnestra is a she. The seven word rule is annoying sometimes.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Yeah.. I guess I didn't clarify with "you could create a separate comment system". I mean this only for game comments.

Hypermnestra is a she.

YOU'RE A SHE!

The seven word rule is annoying sometimes.

Just say in chat, bro.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I had this armatar before him.. :c

Yes, I remember, even if I'm quite the noob here.
Sorry again
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I think that a 5 - 10 minute wait time is a great idea instead of the 30 second wait time. This way, if people were commenting on a game they could actually play it for a while before posting a comment. Sure there will still be spam but there will be less of it.

Showing 1-15 of 58