ForumsWEPRWhat's with the Gas Prices?!

172 29451
Beast_all_games
Beast_all_games
64 posts
Nomad

Well I know most of us are children right now, playing on this website, but as we get older the gas prices tend to increase. I don't even want to think about how much gas is gonna be when I turn 20!

• 172 Replies
KlNG
KlNG
301 posts
Nomad

The change from oil/gas powered cars to new, alternative fueled ones would be simple.

But the effect it would have on the economy would be too great just to mandate a change of what people drive.

Research has just started moving and these alternative means of transportation are still costly compared to our lovely gas guzzlers.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

I frankly do not care whether we are running out of oil or whether we have so much left we could drown ourselves in it (or our exhaust).

I am just pleased that finally there is a push for creating new ways of getting around, storing energy, and using more efficient machinery. I am an engineer and scientists, so efficiency is always on my mind.

I think our gas powered cars are a sad and primitive means of getting around. We have move forward with technologically in almost every aspect of everyday life, except for the automobile. Sure we have gadgets, catalytic converters, etc. But we are still stuck on the same old fuel powered technology, come one, we can do so much better.

Finally real research has begun to create more efficient vehicles and means of transportation.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

The problem is simple as demand for gas is increasing supply is decreasing so the prices are going up. But u yanks think u have it bad. It costs more than a £ a litre. Thats like 2$ a litre for u guys it costs like 100£ or 200$ to fill up a car in the UK

152 posts
Nomad

ya there suposed to rise

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Ye hopefully there will be alternative fuels by the time i get a car but i doubt it

Craze77
Craze77
813 posts
Peasant

The deal with the gas prices is that there is a scarcity of gas.

The_Masquerade
The_Masquerade
140 posts
Nomad

Gas and Petroleum fuel is the mainstream source for travel. It is horrible indeed but you chose to use a car or not. Your not forced to. You use a car for faster travel to where you need to go. Your job, your family, your friends. Don't let a few extra dollars a day slow you down. If so, find a more fuel efficient car if its so important. No one forces you to use that Hummer G4/other variations.
Just so you know, there are cheaper alternatives out there that are even better for environment. The 2 I can get off from the top of my head is air and the waste of french fry oil. Easy to obtain and easy for your pocket and the environment. Please do not complain.
Oil is a resource that is formed after generations of natural mumbo-jumbo. Theres a reason why its expensive.

sintrum
sintrum
230 posts
Nomad

Haha its almost 2 dollards a litre here!It really horible

justgotpwned
justgotpwned
1,166 posts
Peasant

by next year gas prices will be 7$ a gallon witch is outrageous so we should all get hybrids lol and in 10 years gas will be tons of money

BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

when I get a car I am going to get one of those cars that can go fourty miles without any gas

WildStriker404
WildStriker404
60 posts
Nomad

Fossil fuels have been the crystal meth of the civilized world for more than a century. As such, the habit will be a bitch to kick until shortages spark honest-to-goodness oil wars.

As a whole, Large corporations concern themselves with making their investors happy. Profits (esp. huge short-term gains) make same investors happy. Oil is making mucho profit at this time. The alternatives to oil hold no profit at the moment. Thus, blocking the research of fossil fuel alternatives is in the best interest of the large corporations.

From the bits and pieces of news I gather, ethanol is shaping up to be the next big fuel. However,IMO, it is 1) a waste of food and 2) only a stopgap measure in the greater energy crisis. The likely low overhead to corporations in ethanol would mean huge profits and thus huge investments by said firms.

Alas that we cannot (or will not) look farther than our own noses when it comes to the future! If we care so much about this same future, why is it that quite a few of us indulge in excess at its expense?

Gas prices ought to be the least of our worries.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

In the end, for every dollar you spend on gas, only 10 cents goes to profit for the oil companies. They are not big evil corporations that jack up prices. They are a business, and need money to continue running. Much of the profits go to researching more efficient fuel. Without their profits, there would be nothing in the future to run our cars and machines.

The high prices are something we just have to deal with. Demand is increasing, and supply is decreasing. The value of the dollar is falling as well, causing higher prices. We are just going to have to deal with it. I already buy less videogames, and have quit smoking to deal with the high prices. By making a couple of trade offs, I have bettered my health, and made up for the high price of gas. This is something that anyone with a tight budget will have to do.

1realhunter
1realhunter
55 posts
Nomad

The Bible says Worry is Sin so I won't worry, but by the time I'm old enough to drive I'm going to need a very good job unless we get some alternative energy sources by then. Gas prices are making it cost more to transport things, therefore causing the prices of food and other things like that go up. Come on! Five bucks for a gallon of milk, four dollars for a dozen eggs? There's probably going to be a civil war or world war over food and gas prices. People are going to have to become self-sufficiant (i.e. having a farm for fruit & vegetables, cows for milk, chickens for eggs, pigs, cows, and chickens for meat, a mill for bread and flour) or die. The U.S., once a world power may become a third-world country. Try not to worry y'all, turn to god for strength. Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ, for he is my strength.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Well, considering that the average person in the "Western" world eats 1/3 too much, and throws away 1/3 of their food, prices for food should not be an issue. But people make it an issue with bad habits.

WildStriker404
WildStriker404
60 posts
Nomad

*foreheadslap self*

Idiot me! How could I have forgotten that side of the equation?!

It is ironic that we "advanced" people have the capacity to provide for the rest of the world (should they want what we could give), yet the capacity for selfishness we share with that same set of people compels us to manufacture needs for ourselves so we can tell the others: "There ain't enough for all of us."

Now that I think about it, if the adage "you are what you eat" is true, then most Americans (myself included) are a herd/flock/group of (over)stuffed livestock bound for the chopping block.

Showing 76-90 of 172