ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156888
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

I may be misunderstanding what you said, but relative motion as I used it is motion in relation to the object you are in contact with.

That doesn't really make sense. You are using the wrong definition of relativistic motion then. But nonetheless it's all about reference frames. Going back to your train example. If you have a train traveling at the speed of light. And you walk forward on the train. In the reference frame of the train you are moving at a certain speed. However, if you look from the outside you still have not surpassed the speed of light.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

for light speed u just need to travel faster than the light waves so you get to somewhere before light dose therefore breaking light speed

I'm more in favor of warp drive where we move the space around us while the ship stays still.
brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

ye that would work but seriously hard to make, its easier to just make 1 huge power rocket or somthing to propell u faster than light waves

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

I'm more in favor of warp drive where we move the space around us while the ship stays still.

That would be awesome, but like brp said, an insane project. Yet, it is possible especially for the future.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Actually, the warp drive would be easier to build since the rocket would be impossible.

I was saying relative speed not as a term but just a speed relative to something else. Sorry for the mistake.

thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

ye that would work but seriously hard to make, its easier to just make 1 huge power rocket or somthing to propell u faster than light waves

Again, mechanically speaking it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light.

I'm not sure about warp drive. I mean if you're bending the space around you to your will, you'll run into problems relating to time.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Well, time wouldn't neccisarily be altered. It is very likely you're right, but I feel that the way it bends reality wouldn't have many noticeable effects on time.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure about warp drive. I mean if you're bending the space around you to your will, you'll run into problems relating to time.

Very true, but futuristic speaking, we could possibly find a way, I mean it is the future after all.
thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

Very true, but futuristic speaking, we could possibly find a way, I mean it is the future after all.

I'm not stating it's not possible, I'm just stating a potential issue that it could run into.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Actually you avoid time dilation effects with this method.
Though it does still have plenty of problems that would need to be overcome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive#Difficulties

Some of these problems this mentions as making it impossible I could see being eventually overcome.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Got to say I'm having trouble finding even a speculative work around for the effects of Hawking Radiation with Warp Drive. This effect occurs with the contraction of space in front of the ship. This Radiation would cook the crew and worse, collapse the bubble. Now we could shield the ship from it and the crew being fried, but that still leaves the problem of the radiation collapsing the effect we want to occur. There would have to be a way to some how eliminate this radiation as it's produced.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I think, Mage, that perhaps an anti-matter particle generator which creates particles directly opposed to those found in Hawking radiation could solve this. As we know, when an anti-matter particle collides with it's corresponding matter particle they are both destroyed.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I think, Mage, that perhaps an anti-matter particle generator which creates particles directly opposed to those found in Hawking radiation could solve this. As we know, when an anti-matter particle collides with it's corresponding matter particle they are both destroyed

But then you run in to the chance of a matter-antimatter reaction if it backfires.

Got to say I'm having trouble finding even a speculative work around for the effects of Hawking Radiation with Warp Drive.

Perhaps an electromagnetic field could block the radiation? Earth's magnetic field is fairly weak and it protects us from most solar radiation and almost all solar wind. Granted, Hawking Radiation is coming in much greater amounts than the sun puts out.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

But then you run in to the chance of a matter-antimatter reaction if it backfires.

Actually direct particle/anti-particle reactions result in photons, which are massless and should not interfere terribly with the fields being generated by an intentional warp in space, as is postulated with a 'warp' drive system. So long as the generator produces ONLY the direct antiparticle of the primary particle in Hawking radiation then it is possible that the reaction would be safe for those in the vicinity (i.e. members of the crew) and could possibly eliminate the effects of the radiation.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Actually direct particle/anti-particle reactions result in photons, which are massless and should not interfere terribly with the fields being generated by an intentional warp in space, as is postulated with a 'warp' drive system. So long as the generator produces ONLY the direct antiparticle of the primary particle in Hawking radiation then it is possible that the reaction would be safe for those in the vicinity (i.e. members of the crew) and could possibly eliminate the effects of the radiation.

Okay, so how could you produce antiHawking Radiation particles?
Showing 46-60 of 1019