ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156890
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Okay, so how could you produce antiHawking Radiation particles?

One would first have to identify the most prominent and key particle released by Hawking radiation and develop a reactor which produced the antiparticle as a byproduct. As I'm not a quantum theorist, or particle physicist, I really don't know how one would isolate the key particle, or develop a reactor to produce the antiparticle, but hypothetically speaking it should be a viable solution.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

But isn't the radiation a result of the warp drive? Wouldn't you have to make and anitimatter warp drive?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

But isn't the radiation a result of the warp drive? Wouldn't you have to make and anitimatter warp drive?

To my understanding the radiation is a result of the effects of space distortion. It is most commonly known because it is the by-product of black holes.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

So you would have to make antimatter warp to produce the antiparticle, right? The only feasible way to warp mayyer that I can think of is a warp drive. Are there any other reality bending devices?

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Are there any other reality bending devices?

I can think of only one, and that is light itself. here is a site I found about light bending matter. I think this newer finding could be an alternate 'bender'. Modify it in some way to possibly work like warp drive?
thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

Are there any other reality bending devices?

While not a device, gravity does bend space-time. I doubt that really helps, unless you figured out someway using the mass of something to do that. The only other thing of could think of is somehow using gravitons, but considering that we currently aren't sure if they exist, I doubt that'll be helpful.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

So you would have to make antimatter warp to produce the antiparticle, right?

No, just a nuclear reactor. Determining the proper particle being targeted means that a specific isotope would have to be used in the nuclear reactor to produce the proper antiparticles, at least to my understanding, and I'm too lazy to do much google-fu and find out more.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think, Mage, that perhaps an anti-matter particle generator which creates particles directly opposed to those found in Hawking radiation could solve this. As we know, when an anti-matter particle collides with it's corresponding matter particle they are both destroyed.

Another problem is getting those anti-matter particles to where the Hawkings radiation is being produced. Signals wouldn't be able to be sent outside the warp bubble. If the exotic matter could effect space but still not be effected by the bending of space, this would solve that problem with turning the effect on and off.

I did have another, yet slower method in mind. It could be a wormhole generator. It would work a bit like what we see with stargates in the show of the same name. The biggest problem with thsi is we need to get to the other end first in order to set up the connection from the other side.

Now the problem of Hawkings radiation with warp drive is only an issue when we reach or exceed lightspeed. So if we could work out the other issues with warp drive we could use it to travel near the speed of light and avoid time dilation effects. This would allow us to travel to the nearest star system in about 6-7 years so we can set up the connection from the other side, allowing for the faster means of travel.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Last I checked, the nearest system was farther than 6-7 lightyears away.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Last I checked, the nearest system was farther than 6-7 lightyears away.

4.24 lightyears. Even if we went at 50% that of lightspeed we are looking at a journey of about 8.48 years. Since warp drive overcomes the problem of time dilation, this would make the journey possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Get a bit more accurate numbers. If we were to take the warp drive at 99% of the speed of light we could make it to the nearest star system in about 4.28 years. So my early guess would have only been around 70%-80% the speed of light.

DaoGao
DaoGao
220 posts
Nomad

Mircowave grapes. Causes electrical sparks due to electromagnetic arcs.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

4.24 lightyears. Even if we went at 50% that of lightspeed we are looking at a journey of about 8.48 years. Since warp drive overcomes the problem of time dilation, this would make the journey possible.

Well, I was meaning a system with planets. It is still unconfirmed as to whether Alfa Centari has planets orbiting them.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well, I was meaning a system with planets. It is still unconfirmed as to whether Alfa Centari has planets orbiting them.

We could get to Gliese 581 in about 20.5 years at 99% lightspeed. Though with such technology at our disposal we would likely first visit Alpha Centari. It is slated to be the first on the list for unmanned interstellar exploration.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

this subject should have its own section in the forum

Showing 61-75 of 1019