ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 157095
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

this subject should have its own section in the forum

Mean the speculation of human advancements? I do have to say this has been an interesting topic.
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

this subject should have its own section in the forum

Mean the speculation of human advancements? I do have to say this has been an interesting topic.

Hm, you're right, it would be a very intriguing section, bound to bring up lots of discussion!

Anyhow...
Though with such technology at our disposal we would likely first visit Alpha Centaui. It is slated to be the first on the list for unmanned interstellar exploration.

Perhaps if their is a suitable planet in the Alpha Centauri system we could even make a colony there? It would be very interesting, and a GIANT scientific success!
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Hm, you're right, it would be a very intriguing section, bound to bring up lots of discussion!

That's pretty much what we're already doing here.

Perhaps if their is a suitable planet in the Alpha Centauri system we could even make a colony there? It would be very interesting, and a GIANT scientific success!

Even if there wasn't there is opportunity for scientific discovery and if the journey could be made economical enough mining opportunities.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Even if there wasn't there is opportunity for scientific discovery and if the journey could be made economical enough mining opportunities

Thing is, babies would have to be loaded in to be the workforce once the ship reaches there, unless a flash cloning technique is developed (Yet another topic. AG3 should have a General Science Category.) or perhaps on-board procreation? Growing up in zero G enviroments causes a lack of sense of what is up and down in mice, what would warp life affect in human developement? (Yet another...)
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

I suspect by creating some kind of reaction boosting the immune system(I willh ave to look it up in detail sometime).

cancer is a mutation in our own cells when they multiply out of control. Immune system has nothing to do with it. the chemical might repress cell division or something, but then that would be like Chemotherapy not being able to affect the cancerous cells specificly.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Thing is, babies would have to be loaded in to be the workforce once the ship reaches there, unless a flash cloning technique is developed

As pointed out if we could work out warp drive at subliminal speeds we could use it to go near the speed of light without running into the problem of time dilation. Even at half the speed of light we could make it to places like Alpha Centauri or Proxima Centauri in about 8 years. That's well within a humans lifetime.

Growing up in zero G enviroments causes a lack of sense of what is up and down in mice, what would warp life affect in human developement? (Yet another...)

They would have to adapt to the feeling of being in a constant free fall for several years. I would imagine special training would be in order.
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

cancer is a mutation in our own cells when they multiply out of control. Immune system has nothing to do with it.

Uh, it does I believe. Yes, you described cancer correctly. However, our natural immune system can also detect cancer, because cancer cells are different from normal cells. In many cases, it will destroy these cancer cells before they turn into a detectable cancer.
Sometimes, yes they can hide from our white blood cells, making a chemical marking them "foreign" or other treatments necessary. So a better immune system is a less chance of a cancerous tumor, correct? So the immune system has a lot to do with it Kalb.
Wafflesquad
Wafflesquad
170 posts
Peasant

They would have to adapt to the feeling of being in a constant free fall for several years. I would imagine special training would be in order.

Like, maybe going in one of those indoor skydiving things? That might work, I guess. Also, on the topic of faster-than-light travel, how will we go faster than light if the speed of light is the speed limit for anything made of matter?
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Like, maybe going in one of those indoor skydiving things? That might work, I guess.

Um, that could help, but I think NASA would come up with a rigorous program that would be more beneficial, like the one they have for the astronauts. ;P
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I was talking about the 20 year travel, not the eight year.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

20 years is still a reasonable amount of time. Sure send a child if you want, but a 20ish year old would arrive at 40, and possibly have 60 more years of living. Not too bad in my opinion.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

how will we go faster than light if the speed of light is the speed limit for anything made of matter?

We don't, we do a work around it. These rules don't apply to space itself. So with the warp drive we don't move the ship, we move the space around the ship. now there are other problems that need to be dealt with that could prevent this method from going faster then light, but those don't apply if we just keep it close to the speed of light without going over.
With a Stargateish wormhole here's what wiki has on it in regard to FTL travel.

The impossibility of faster-than-light relative speed only applies locally. Wormholes allow superluminal (faster-than-light) travel by ensuring that the speed of light is not exceeded locally at any time. While traveling through a wormhole, subluminal (slower-than-light) speeds are used. If two points are connected by a wormhole, the time taken to traverse it would be less than the time it would take a light beam to make the journey if it took a path through the space outside the wormhole. However, a light beam traveling through the wormhole would always beat the traveler. As an analogy, running around to the opposite side of a mountain at maximum speed may take longer than walking through a tunnel crossing it.

It would take some time but could still be done within a humans lifetime. Though the crew would have to be very dedicated. This is also another why setting up connections to places that might not have planets would be useful as another star might be closer and could offer a better jumping off point then starting from our solar system.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Well, mining is very hard work. Somebody in their 50s just couldn't do most of it.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well, mining is very hard work. Somebody in their 50s just couldn't do most of it.

That trip wouldn't be for mining. I would work in tandem with the idea of setting up wormholes. I would work a bit like Stargate where you have a sending and receiving gate. The 20 year trip would be to set this connection up.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Ahh... You may be an *** sometimes, no offense, but your pretty ****ed smart.

Showing 76-90 of 1019