ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156887
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Time dilation only occurs when you travel at a speed that is within some close amount to the speed of light. Currently we don't have any space ships that travel that fast.

I said IF we had a high speed rocket, assuming people would take that as near light speed.
Also, sorry I only read clock not the 'old' so I substituted precise atomic clocks...
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to say that we do not necessarily be extremely close to light speed for time dilation. Time Dilation can occur at the at the minimal speed by measures of time of 3s(3 seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years). That minimal speed is equal to 25.2% of the speed of light. 3 years of 25.2% of light speed travel, time on elapsed on earth would of been 3.1 years. Note: 2.99 also works, but is extremely close to 3, so I used 3; 2.99yr. of 25.2% of light speed = 3 years on earth. Of course, for drastic charges, Very near the speed of light would be required.

brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

for light speed u just need to travel faster than the light waves so you get to somewhere before light dose therefore breaking light speed

no more complicated than that lol

thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to say that we do not necessarily be extremely close to light speed for time dilation.

I never said extremely close, but currently we are unable to get close enough for it to matter. Increasing one's speed that drastically presents a multitude of other problems. Obviously it occurs on a very small scale whenever you're in motion.

for light speed u just need to travel faster than the light waves so you get to somewhere before light dose therefore breaking light speed

you do realize that this isn't possible right?
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Um yeah, like stuntman said, you can't go faster than light speed... It won't happen, nor will it EVER. Nature will not allow you to break light speed. Say, we have a train that is going 99.99% light speed. We have passengers inside in that train. One gets up and runs forward. That forward momentum gets added to the train, surpassing the speed of light, right? Wrong, nature will slow down that person so that they CAN NOT surpass light speed. Sorry for the bad grammar and missing words in my previous post, I was in a hurry. ;l
Wafflesquad
Wafflesquad
170 posts
Peasant

Um yeah, like stuntman said, you can't go faster than light speed... It won't happen, nor will it EVER. Nature will not allow you to break light speed. Say, we have a train that is going 99.99% light speed. We have passengers inside in that train. One gets up and runs forward. That forward momentum gets added to the train, surpassing the speed of light, right? Wrong, nature will slow down that person so that they CAN NOT surpass light speed. Sorry for the bad grammar and missing words in my previous post, I was in a hurry. ;l

But WHY? WHY can't we break light speed? Is it a "because we just can't" sort of question? Because I hate those. I know that when an object approaches the speed of light, it begins to increase in mass (LHC data), but what happens when an object, say, a black hole, hits light speed? Does it time travel, or what? And also: If we're never going to be able to do this, why theorize it?

Yes. I completely agree. But I have a question: WHY. WHY won't nature allow us to go faster than light?
thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

Yes. I completely agree. But I have a question: WHY. WHY won't nature allow us to go faster than light?

I really could go into a lot of detail explaining this. But as I don't feel like writing that much tonight, I'll just say it. In order to mechanically reach the speed of light it would require an infinite amount of energy, which cannot be obtained or channeled.
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

But WHY? WHY can't we break light speed? Is it a "because we just can't" sort of question? Because I hate those. I know that when an object approaches the speed of light, it begins to increase in mass (LHC data), but what happens when an object, say, a black hole, hits light speed? Does it time travel, or what? And also: If we're never going to be able to do this, why theorize it?

As an object travels faster and faster, the energy it's using is being released around the edges of it. This energy forms a sort of bubble, adding friction and drag to the object and slows it down, so that by the time it approaches the speed of light, it takes more and more energy to make it speed up smaller and smaller amounts, and that energy forms a larger and larger drag net around it, until it takes infinite energy to go any faster. This is the universal speed limit, the speed of light. I learned this from a documentary on the Science channel. It is a very interesting concept to comprehend and accept huh.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

yeah, the stunt man is right. only objects with no mass, like photons can move at the speed of light. but people have mass, so as our speed grows to the speed of light our mass grows infinitly and to move infinite mass you need infinite energy. the universe doesn't have infinite energy.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

The power required to increase an objects speed is highly exponential. It is theorized that it would be impossible to exceed light speed because it would require an impossible amount of energy. This is, of course, relative to the soroundings. If you were on the train nearing light speed and walked forward, you would exceed lightspeed in a universal sense, but relatively you would be moving very slowly if it is assumed the train is enclosed. If you were to then jump out of said train into a vaccuum, you would be travelling faster than light, though the barrier never broke. If you were to jump out while the train was surrounded by matter, however, you would instantly be torn to shreds.
Everything beyond this point is conjecture. Your guess is as good as mine.
I believe once you were in the vaccuum travelling beyond lightspeed, one of two things would happen.
A). Seeking to restore balance, the universe would warp slightly causing a sort of "reverse warp drive" causing you to move slower than light without energy being lost.
B). The excess energy contained in your body will be condensed into matter via the Theory of Relativity causing mass to increase and speed to decrease.

Other theories that I don't agree with have also been set forth by others.
C). The most common theory, a rip will open in the universe as a result of breaking a fundamental law of physics and cause a black hole.
D). Time will shift sending you back in time or causing time to slow down considerably around you causing you to "slow down" without losing energy.
E). You will rip a hole thus travelling into another dimension/universe.

Several others may also have been presented, aswell.

thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

If you were on the train nearing light speed and walked forward, you would exceed lightspeed in a universal sense

Relativistic velocity, DO YOU SPEAK IT.
Sorry to break it to you son but cuss doesn't work like that.

via the Theory of Relativity

This just shows that the two are related, but doesn't show how they interact.

Before when talking about the ability to break the speed of light. We were talking about it in a vacuum. Although either way it does not matter because light is slower outside of a vacuum anyway.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

The theory says they are the same thing in different forms.

Relatively, you are not moving right now (I assume). Universally, you are moving incredibly fast.

thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

Universally, you are moving incredibly fast.

Of course, but I'm still not moving anywhere close to the speed of light. It all depends on the reference frame. However, universally it's still impossible to move faster than the speed of light, because of relativity.
thestuntman
thestuntman
303 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post. But while I was out getting food I realized something. It flashed, like a vision burnt across the heavens. Anyway, the physics you talk about don't work at speeds close to that of the speed of light. Relativistic motion IS universal motion, as it can be applied in any reference frame. However, kinematics can only be used at speeds not near the speed of light.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I may be misunderstanding what you said, but relative motion as I used it is motion in relation to the object you are in contact with.

Showing 31-45 of 1019