ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 345156
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
KhaoticSniper
KhaoticSniper
210 posts
Nomad

Ummm lets see here, Both Queen and Pink Floyd i really like but since my Family members are all Pink Floyd fans ill go For:
[/b]Pink Floyd[b]
FTW

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

QUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEENNNN by a shortened mile!

Everything they ever made sounds better each time you hear it. Under Pressure brings me to tearful climax when I hear that sexy, sexy guitar begin to play! The lyrics are so well written I want to go back in time, laminate the original copies of the lyrics and notations and take them back home where I can sleep with them, take them out to the movies, restaurants, the whole affair.

I will love Queen and Freddy Mercury's Mustache forever and ever.

I know almost nothing about Pink Floyd, they're some kind of Hip-hop boy-band, right?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Pressure brings me to tearful climax when I hear that sexy, sexy guitar begin to play!

I'm slightly dyslexic, so this is what I first read:

Pressure brings me to tearful climax when that sexy, sexy girl begins to play.

No joke.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Okay, how in the HELL did the beatles lose to led zeppelin? The beatles are the single most influential force in music. period.

For this vote, I'm going to go with Queen, They were, in my view, A much stronger force in music that Pink Floyd. Queen made music for everyone. Pink Floyd made music for hippies to take LSD to.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE me some floyd, but I think Queen can be enjoyed by a much wider audience, and Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, and/or We are the Champions is played almost every single day wherever I go, either in a store, or on the radio... Not so much with floyd

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Pink Floyd is the superior band here. I love Queen, but they're inconsistent, just listen to their 80's output. Shining in places, but the few gems are mired in poppy drivel. They petered out after A Day at the Races and only really came back with Innuendo.

Pink Floyd has several albums that are amazing and full of ideas throughout. Meddle to The Wall is a string out albums without equal in rock music, plain and simple. Inventive, bold, catchy, provocative, unique, all at the same time. The music speaks for itself.

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

MrDayCee you failed to let me know when the next round came :P

Anyways. I vote for Pink Floyd.

They are way more influential than Queen in my opinion, and one of my favorite bands ever.

Their concerts are much more entertaining than Queen.

Plus, I like the psychedelic rock more than I do the 80's hair bands rock.

In one concert my parents went to, they showed me a video they took, Pink Floyd had a giant pink pig fly across the stadium. Which I think to be way cooler than fireworks or lasers.

Pink Floyd's music and lyrics are much more emotional and they put a lot into their music. I feel that Pink Floyd deserves my vote just because of how much they put into their music.

So, my vote goes to Pink Floyd

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Hey guys and gals... I'll be posting the round up and reply to posts this evening!

I just have to gather my stuff and set everything right, ok? Hang on in there! =)

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Sorry for the delay, but work can be a... ahm... busy somtimes!

@ Ernie15 : Hahaa LOL You made the joke I was actually thinking about when the beatle... I mean battle, was over! =P

@ delossantosj : Show of character there man! *tops hat* =)

@ daleks : I actually would have loved to do that (make a score count up to nebmas' vote), but I couldn't load and/or see the last page of the thread, so I couldn't even see who nebmas voted for! LOL

@ Maverick4 : You were right... because delos stepped back and decided not to vote, the score was a small lead for PF there at the time! Thanx!

@ KhaoticSniper : I know you can do better than that with the elaborated reasoning to your choice man... sorry, but I gave you some leeway last time, but this time around your vote will not be counted... =/

@ Maverick4 (2nd post) : WAY joke man!! LOL Good one! =P

@ FALLEN950 : Ooops... sorry man... I will make it right with the next round! Forgive me! =0

Allright then... time to gather all the votes and see what the score is, because the hickup-glitch-error-ma-thingy made sure I couldn't do an in between score count, so... can I get a... *drumroll*
(Thank you...)

Score count so far shows us... oh my... ... ...THAT was close?! Ahm, snap, sorry... it shows us :

Final score count for 1/4 Final # II :

10 - PINK FLOYD - WINNER!!!

9 - QUEEN - Eliminated...

Man... Queen lost by ONE vote to Pink Floyd! Had someone voted last for Queen, it would have been the other way around! (I could have made the difference... LOL) Oh well... I guess another one bites the dust 'ey?! (another favourite for champion that was...)

---

Time to post the next round for this competition then! =D

Presenting...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8163/6968982382_bf50024775_z_d.jpg

As always, here's all the information you need on both bands, which is for those of you that have some difficulty in deciding which one of them is the favourite one! So simply click the links, read/watch the info and decide! =)

# THE EAGLES Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: Take It Easy (1973), One Of These Nights (1975), Hotel California - Live (1977), Heartache Tonight (1979).

# VAN HALEN Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: Unchained (1981), Jump (1984), Why Canât This Be Love â" "LIVE Without A Net" (1986), [url=www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIDdv9VAx8]Poundcake (1991).

So take a good look at the example videos (if needed), brainstorm about both bands a bit (if needed), crack those knuckles (if needed) and write your reasoning (needed!!) for one of the bands you vote for!! So, here we go again!!

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!!

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Ouch!

This one actually hurts but my vote goes to The Eagles. They reigned superior, in my opinion with the Southern Rock genre during The Golden era of Rock or what we kids called the Vietnam Rock era. Their music is more the classical sound of Rock.

Glenn Frye, singer-songwriter, musician(what couldn't he play:
piano, drums, guitars(owned how many Fenders?!), harmonica, plus an actor and Wiki even says he could paint!, defines the term artist.
Plus, I had a major crush on the guy!

On the other hand, Van Halen's group was formed in the late '70's and ruled the radio during the '80's as more a Pop Rock band. Now, don't get me wrong, Eddie Van Halen's sound was heavy metal but as a group it got watered down to what was known as bubble gum rock. Since then, I've learned to appreciate Van Halen's guitar work but MTV, in my opinion, labeled them as Pop Rock and the videos from the '80's says it all, just check out their hair!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Eagles
Not really a contest for me. I would have to go with the Eagles. They are in that genre that I love, rock but you could also say a little country.

Van Halen is good but I was never a heavy metal/hard rock fan.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I consider Van Halen to be the greatest "hair metal" band of all-time. When it comes to hair metal vs. not hair metal, since it is one of my favorite musical genres, I'm almost always going to go with hair metal.

The Eagles are a fine band, and they've cranked out plenty of classics, but I can't say that I'd ever choose to listen to them over Van Halen.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

My vote this round shall go to Van Halen! David's powerful voice combined with Eddie's guitar work is an unstoppable amalgam in the rock world! Eddie is also a great keyboardist!

Aside from Heartache Tonight, I don't think there are any Eagles songs that I actually like.

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

Ok so i really on't know these bands too well, but lol i will cast my vote for:

The Eagles!

Thoguh i really don't care for either, the composition of the eagles' Hotel California displays good vocals and balance of instruments.

EAGLES FOR THE WIN!

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

Why do you do this to me? It was nearly impossible for me to choose!

But, my vote goes to Van Halen.

Even though these are both 2 of my favorite bands of all time, along with Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Iron Maiden. I still have to choose Van Halen.

This was a tough decision, they are both quite hard to compare. I'm more of a "metalhead" though I suppose. I love Eddie Van Halen's outrageous ability to play the guitar. He is No. 1 on my list of greatest guitarists, followed by John Bonham and Jimi Hendrix.

Also, Alex is one of my favorite drummers. I think David is a superior vocalist to Sammy, so he made the band what they were!

The Eagles on the other hand are a more well-balanced group and I think were more popular in their time than Van Halen was in theirs.

But nonetheless, my vote still goes to Van Halen.

P.S.

Thanks MrDayCee for letting me know this time, I appreciate it :P

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

i cant stand the eagles. all their songs are boring as hell and there is nothing special about them.

van halen on the other hand is amazing. they have one of the greatest guitarists of all time on their line up, one of the greatest drummers, and one of the greatest vocals. very easy vote

Showing 631-645 of 797