ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1390053
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Atheists.... screw my non-biased standpoint. Atheists. You are total idiots. You are making fools of yourselves. If you really WERE in the right, you wouldn't be interfering with the lives of others. Christians. Stop being arses. Just let Atheists hallucinate. Okay? OKAY?

I think you meant to switch "Atheists" and "Christians".

What's wrong with discussing our beliefs? I for one (temporarily speaking as a Christian) have greatly appreciated the atheist input on my religion. Their questions aren't always easy to answer, but it always leaves me with something to explore. Atheism shows Christianity where it needs to improve, and why we can't base modern laws off religion. I agree that the specific bashing might get a little out of hand at times, but so what? That's part of discussing such important fundamental beliefs (or lack thereof).
*now speaking as an atheist*
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

I find this bashing is good entertainment. I'm no longer willing to take this debate seriously and just laugh at the idiocy I see

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here." -Q

"Indeed." -Teal'c

That is all.

- H
darkangel12341
darkangel12341
112 posts
Nomad

I think the who post is bordering an the edge of becoming ignorant. Religion is a tool used by man, that's all it is. Yes, it's great that you have faith, but does that mean you're alowed to bash other people's? Think about "God", if he teaches you to love one another I think if he is real he would be pretty disappointed in all you Christians right now. Atheists and other religions have a right to speak as well. I don't think that just because you don't have faith in "God" that means you are going to burn in hell. Think it over before you post something. If you don't you are at the risk of sounding ignorant and further unconvincing the other side of you views.
Have a wonderful day!

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

We don't wanna hear how bloody brutal being nailed to a piece of wood was! We wanna here about baby Jesus, happy, healthy, and ALIVE.

If you are gonna discuss seriously and reasonably, you gotta be able to discuss about all points, and listen to all points. Restricting the discussion to how pink and fluffy everything is supposed to be, you completely cripple the discussion.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yes, it's great that you have faith

I disagree. I don't think it's a good thing to have. It let's in gullibility and shows a lack of thinking. This is not to be confused with being called stupid or lacking such abilities in other areas. Religious thinking is often very much compartmentalized.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I disagree. I don't think it's a good thing to have.

So you don't think it's a good thing, is it a bad thing? Is iy neither?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So you don't think it's a good thing, is it a bad thing? Is iy neither?

Is it good to be gullible and show a lack of thinking? To me that's just being foolish. Just as it would be to just accept a strangers claim that they can sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, or believe that email telling you there's a rich deceased relative from Zimbabwe who left you an inheritance of $10 million so long as you provide your bank account number.
I'm talking about the faith without proof type. The type required to believe in a deity.

Rational Station - Episode 01: Faith and the Existence of a Deity
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

That was creepy and a little funny. But I see your point, you think religon is bad.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I'm talking about the faith without proof type.

*I'm talking about the faith that's belief without proof type.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

We don't wanna hear how bloody brutal being nailed to a piece of wood was! We wanna here about baby Jesus, happy, healthy, and ALIVE.
You can't be resurrected if you don't die. You can't embrace the new man without releasing old man's ancestry, including bad habits. This, however, is painful. So, hear about Christ resurrected, and ALIVE FOREVER.
Christians. Stop being arses. Just let Atheists hallucinate. Okay?
We can't let them "hallucinate" just because they don't want to listen, we have to at least try once to persuade them into listening to their conscience. However, it's us who should retreat first. (Though I don't like retreating in vain... but that's me)
You can tell them 'I TOLD YOU SO" when they burn in hell, eh?
What could this alter, except adding harm on the sayer? We will pity them for some time if they will end up in Hell, but then in case we will not end up there, we'll enter eternal happiness and will forget about those in Hell as like they never existed.
What makes it such an unreasonable request?
You request an impossible action. It's like if you request landing on Sun and surviving. You will not withstand the evidence you request.
The damage to the body wasn't existent the day before.
What damage? You're probably mixing an instantaneous physical trauma with anything as long as bone cancer.
"Your child is having a tantrum, Mr. Spock." -McCoy
Touche
I think you meant to switch "Atheists" and "Christians".
He insulted us as well. Okay let's ignore the kid, until he'll understand he did bad.
Atheism shows Christianity where it needs to improve, and why we can't base modern laws off religion.
Why can't we? No precedent rules apply here, so Roe vs Wade and others are off question.
Think about "God", if he teaches you to love one another I think if he is real he would be pretty disappointed in all you Christians right now.
Maybe He is disappointed with most of us, maybe including me. But being disappointed of everyone because one did bad is a human's way.
I don't think it's a good thing to have. It let's in gullibility and shows a lack of thinking.
Is being gullible wrong? And, we are guided by faith in divine matters mostly, all the mundane matters are being approached with normal thinking involved. But if something is elevated from mundane-only to concern both, then you are to rethink your position, indeed. And even in divine matters, Apostle Paul teaches us to test spirits whether they are from God or not. This also involves thinking. How come you say faith means lack of thinking?
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Why can't we?

Leviticus 25:44-46
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

Ephesians 6:5 NLT
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21
If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death.

Deuteronomy 13:6-11
If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son, or your daughter, or the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, entices you secretly, saying, `Let us go and serve other gods,' which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the peoples that are round about you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him; but you shall kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and never again do any such wickedness as this among you.

Just a few reasons.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

*yawns* Since New Testament a Christian is to be guided with love to all people. And since there are no slaves already, the only NT reason listed here is rendered obsolete.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Matthew 5:17-18

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Old Testament is valid.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Luke 10:25-37

25 And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 26 He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read?" 27 And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." 28 And he said to him, "You have answered right; do this, and you will live." 29 But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 30 Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was; and when he saw him, he had compassion, 34 and went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; then he set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, `Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.' 36 Which of these three, do you think, proved neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?" 37 He said, "The one who showed mercy on him." And Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

"Love thy neighbor" is spread to every human there is, therefore you can't cast out a sinner and kill him like you've told in the OT. That's what I mean under "rendered obsolete". From NT, your relationship with ANY human is under subject of your love towards him which should be your primary concern. So, you can not enslave people anymore, you cannot kill even if someone says "Let's go preach other gods", you cannot kill anyone if they were caught in sexual contact, etc.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

"Love thy neighbor" is spread to every human there is, therefore you can't cast out a sinner and kill him like you've told in the OT. That's what I mean under "rendered obsolete". From NT, your relationship with ANY human is under subject of your love towards him which should be your primary concern. So, you can not enslave people anymore, you cannot kill even if someone says "Let's go preach other gods", you cannot kill anyone if they were caught in sexual contact, etc.

But God is supposed to be unchanging, eternal, omnibenevolent and omnipresent. If this is the case, why did he need to replace his old laws with new love laws instead of just beginning with those laws? He knows everything, does he not? God rendered his old way of thinking obsolete, much like I might do if my morals happened to change. Given the human qualities of God, it sure doesn't sound like he is that hard to get to know.
Why would God ever allow slavery to happen? Why would God ever allow children to get stoned to death for being unruly? Why would God ever want you to strike down your wife if she didn't know which God was real and had no way of knowing?
Furthermore, do Jesus' new commandments cancel out the Old Ten Commandments? Is stealing okay if you share it out of love? Is disrespecting your parents okay as long as you love them? If the Ten Commandments are still valid, then we have no way of deciphering what stays and what goes. It all depends on subjective morality; you want the Bible's morals to be in tune with society's morals so that we can all relate to it.
Why was God so cruel and active in the Old Testament and suddenly, now when things are verifiable, he's an invisible guardian that loves us but can punish us if we don't blindly accept him?
Showing 2236-2250 of 4668