ForumsWEPRA Paradox: Why would a benign God create penultimate evil

134 20564
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

just a question i've always had, and just so we are clear, this is not a question pertaining to any specific religion, it is simply a hypothetical.
please don't cite religious texts, i'd like to hear your personal opinions from purely rational viewpoints

• 134 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Its what happens, "live with it". You can't just pretend it isn't going to happen.

What I don't understand is why I should belive it. You say that when we die there will be no afterlife, but why should I belive that instead of what I already belive.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

What I don't understand is why I should belive it. You say that when we die there will be no afterlife, but why should I belive that instead of what I already belive.

Because it is the truth. The electrical impulses in your brain that allow you to think stop when you die, thus you stop thinking. No afterlife.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

But why can't I belive in a soul. There are many unknown forms of matter and energy. Why can't a soul be one of them?

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

But why can't I belive in a soul. There are many unknown forms of matter and energy. Why can't a soul be one of them?

...No there isn't. What are you talking about "Unknown forms of matter and energy"? Some of the stuff that we are just finding out by ramming a few particles together? Nope, that is actual matter...

So could you tell me what exactly this sool thing is, and what you mean by "unbeknown forms of matter and energy"?
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

I'm really sorry if I'm interpreting this wrong but this is a statement from wikipedia,

In comparison, ordinary matter accounts for only 4.6% of the mass-energy density of the observable universe, with the remainder being attributable to dark energy.

So I thought if it's not observable then it could be like a soul. Which often is said isn't observable.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

So I thought if it's not observable then it could be like a soul. Which often is said isn't observable.

By, "observable" they mean "able to be seen." You don't have to know what air is to understand there's wind.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Oh. So in what ways can you observe it.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Its observable. It has an effect on gravity. So if this was correct, then I could experiment with living and dead people, and the dead people would have a different effect.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

So they've done the experiment then.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Measurements of galactic rotations, along with multiple lines of other evidence, have led scientists to believe that there must be much more mass in the universe than we can currently detect.

From Avorne's link. Again, my example of

"By, "observable" they mean "able to be seen." You don't have to know what air is to understand there's wind."

We can see it's effect, we just as of yet cannot "see" it.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

So they've done the experiment then.

They have done several experiments with weighing people, of course,with no significant difference from alive to dead.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

yeah, but I mean they've already done the gravitational experiments with dead v.s living bodies right?

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

yeah, but I mean they've already done the gravitational experiments with dead v.s living bodies right?

Wait...what? Are you asking if they've sent dead people to space and living people to space and seen if they are affected by gravity differently...?
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

No, you can't just use a dead body like that. But they've proven gravitation differences someway right?

Showing 106-120 of 134