ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGuanxi (Game Development)

67 25586
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Hello, yes, I really did make another AMW thread. But I didn't do it because I felt like it, but because I think it's necessary. Without further ado, I will inform you what this thread is all about.
It is going to be used as a development log for all my work on my current project. [insert title here]
I'm going to log every day I work on it, just so you all can see how I go about making this. Possibly Darkroot too, if he decides to post here. Yes, he's the programmer.
Day 1
Today was the starter day, and I was super psyched that Darkroot agreed to join me. Whoo! While we just started, I got some stuff done.
Things accomplished:
- Main character sprite sheet. [insert character name here]
- Place-holder art for first "section" islands.
Thing to accomplish in the near future:
- Add more characters.
- Create a concrete game write-up.
- Add some detail.
Well, the island view is rather long, and I don't think it will fit on AG full view, so here's a link. Link. Also, remember, this is just place-holder art, which means it's not nearly finished.
The sprite sheet is not really 100% visible. Since, AG has a white background, and considering that the character's legs are white. So it would be basically invisible unless put on a backdrop...

• 67 Replies
PinkieCake
PinkieCake
164 posts
Nomad

Good luck on your game! Hopefully we'll get to see it up in AG, when it's done, that is.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 2
Today I am mainly focusing on getting a concrete grasp of what I really want this thing to turn out to be. Also, as mentioned on CT, the fear or failure, is a very good motivation for me.
Introduction
I really should have included this in the OP, but it's better late than never.
The general idea of this game is about the little adventurer that runs around doing deeds for his fellow villagers. His village is comprised of separate islands, that are linked with bridges. There really is no winning, it's basically just to have fun adventuring.
I'm still deciding whether there should be enemies, but I know for a fact weapons will not be a feature. Maybe jumping on their heads to kill them, I will come to a conclusion soon.
For every deed you accomplish, you will earn XP. After a certain amount of XP gained, you'll rank up. For every few ranks, you will be able to explore more islands and villages, which, brings more tasks to complete.
Some of these tasks might include fishing, or even finding a lost pet. The list is endless, really.
---
Don't worry, I understand, you don't like reading, there will be pictures for you to drool over soon. o3o

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 3
We got fairly a lot of work done today. Darkroot is in the process of working on the collisions, and all that jazz. I worked on the jump animation of the character, and resizing the map, so it has a nice proportion to it, compared to the character. Now that I'm already in Summer School (optional art class, mind you), I will have a slightly smaller time spot to be working on this. But, I'll be trying my very best to produce fine results. I'm thinking by the end of tomorrow we will have some type of play motion going on, maybe, maybe not. Keep your eye on this!
Thing to accomplish in the near future:
- Buildings for the islands
- Brainstorm of ideas for tasks to complete
- Villagers
Images
Here's the running and jumping animation, for eye candy.
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/M4tth3wpics/Wat-1.gif
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/M4tth3wpics/Watjump.gif
Keep in mind, the jumping will have the illusion of leaping higher when jumping off a cliff, or something.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Alright, it looks good so far, Professor!
So, judging from the number of islands, it's a relatively long game?
I like the character design; despite being so simple, it's really good! It has rather smooth animation. Nice job on the moving shadows. People tend to overlook that, I've noticed.
Also, I like the concept of the game "never ending."
Anyway, I hope it goes well for the two of you! Keep up the good work!

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

So, judging from the number of islands, it's a relatively long game?

The set of islands I posted is just the starter village. And I'll quote myself here:
For every deed you accomplish, you will earn XP. After a certain amount of XP gained, you'll rank up. For every few ranks, you will be able to explore more islands and villages, which, brings more tasks to complete.

Also, when exploring more islands, you're still able to visit back at your hometown, it just might take a while, hoping from island to island!
People tend to overlook that, I've noticed.

You get a cyber cookie.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

You get a cyber cookie.

I think I've seen this called an internet. Also, I like how the animations look so far, especially with shadows included.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

The set of islands I posted is just the starter village. And I'll quote myself here:

Alright, so you unlock more islands as you rank up... Got it!

Also, when exploring more islands, you're still able to visit back at your hometown, it just might take a while, hoping from island to island!

Could I perhaps make a suggestion? What about some sort of mount, like horses, etc.?

You get a cyber cookie.

Yay!
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

I think I've seen this called an internet.

But you can't eat an internet, now can you?
What about some sort of mount, like horses, etc.?

I don't want to really bring in 'real life' aspects, like animals. Nothing more than fish. :L
But that sparks an idea, maybe have a portal room in each village, allowing you to visit each one. Those unlocked, of course.
Anyways, that's enough of this thread for today. I don't want to spill out all of my thoughts and ideas in one sitting.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

But you can't eat an internet, now can you?

Exactly! Physical > digital.

But that sparks an idea, maybe have a portal room in each village, allowing you to visit each one. Those unlocked, of course.

Right! You could enter a portal, and perhaps a minimap could pop up, where you select an island to jump to.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Those shadows look nice but are going to be annoying to include in a game with a dynamic character and terrain. Maybe once the game is done those small details that bring a nostalgia train rolling down the track full speed and wetness near the eyes can be included.

Right! You could enter a portal, and perhaps a minimap could pop up, where you select an island to jump to.

I love how nonchalantly you talk about all these features and here I am watching the development time increase exponentially. :P
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Those shadows look nice but are going to be annoying to include in a game with a dynamic character and terrain.

Right, which is why I didn't include any shadows in the files I sent over to you. Anyways, the perspective of the game wouldn't even cast that type of shadow. d:
There'll be an update later tonight.
Darkroot, you're more than welcome to post stuff, too, if you'd like.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

I love how nonchalantly you talk about all these features and here I am watching the development time increase exponentially. :P

Hey, I'm excited, so I'm obviously non non-chalant, lol. And I know I'm coming up with rather advanced ideas; they're just suggestions, and everything is up to you and the Professor.

There'll be an update later tonight.

5 Days Later... Wow, this is a really long day. :P
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Sorry about that guys, but I don't have the time to update this thread anymore, but just to reasure you, we are still working on this at a steady pace, so don't worry.
I might decide to post some major updates, but the daily ones aren't going to work out.
Hope you understand. <3

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Hey, no problem! As long as we get an occasional update, it's fine by me!

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Sorry about that guys, but I don't have the time to update this thread anymore, but just to reasure you, we are still working on this at a steady pace, so don't worry.

This may turn out to reduce development time since you won't need the time to post daily updates.
Showing 1-15 of 67