ForumsThe Tavernvegetarians and fish or: are fishes animals or plants?

42 6694
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

ever heard from a vegetarian that he/she never eats meat but then he/she says he/she likes fish. and dont start to argue that fishes are meat because they say then its not. i think fishes are animals.

what do you think, are fishes plants or animals? are you a vegetarian and eat fish?

• 42 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Well, since fishes do not have organelles that are proper in plant cells and do not conduct any self-feeding mechanisms, lay eggs, amongst several other properties worthy of an animal kingdom, I would have to conclude that fishes are, in fact, animals. In theory. I could just be blowing out my mouth for all I know. We may have to research this further. Those vegetarians that eat fish may be on to something here.

If you're vegetarian and eat fish, then you just have a preference. You are not a pure Vegan.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,030 posts
Peasant

I'm sort of a vegetarian too, I only eat animals that taste good.

Anyways, fish are definitely not plants, that's for sure. I'm not a vegetarian myself (I joked earlier) so I don't really mind that people eat fish, I do however think it is hypocritical to say you refuse to eat meat and then make an exception for a rather large group of animals.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

If you're vegetarian and eat fish, then you just have a preference. You are not a pure Vegan.

I think they're called peskatarians. (I'm almost sure I spelled it wrong.

Anyway, I'm almost sure fishes are animals, but I guess they don't mind eating them. Maybe they feel okay with eating animals that arn't birds or mammals.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Fishes are animals, either that, or we are plants too. Some vegetarians I know just don't eat specific animals because they don't like their meat. That's perfectly ok. Now if someone says s/he's a veg because of the 'oor animals', and then only doesn't eat red meat (fish isn't qualified as red meat; chicken isn't either btw), then that's completely hypocritic.

calemango
calemango
83 posts
Nomad

I will never be a vegetarian for mainly one reason: BACON. It's SOO good! But back to the topic, fish are obviously animals, just a different species from birds and mammals.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

Fishes are animals, either that, or we are plants too.

now that is a argue i can tell to some vegetarian who says what i meant with the name of this thread.

Some vegetarians I know just don't eat specific animals because they don't like their meat. That's perfectly ok. Now if someone says s/he's a veg because of the 'oor animals', and then only doesn't eat red meat (fish isn't qualified as red meat; chicken isn't either btw), then that's completely hypocritic.

thats what i mean. they say they dont eat meat but then they say that they eat fish. is it then a paradox, or unlogic?

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

i think you can eat fish because it has feet if you're a vegetarian you can't eat anything with a heartbeat if your a vegan

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Fish is meat. It's why I eat it. If it has eaten something else, it's meat. Stupid nit-wit vegetarian.

ComradeWolf
ComradeWolf
358 posts
Nomad

The reason why Vegans eat fish is because they need protein. It's because Veganism isn't natural. We didn't evolve and advance our species by being backward plant eating hippies, no, we ate meat and we became omnivores.

There is a reason why predators of all sorts need more brain power then herbivores. And that's the fact they have to actually work to get their food, to use tactics and cunning to track, hunt and then kill their prey.

That's why we are one of the most intelligent species. Veganism are just a degradation of cuisine.

The fact is, you don't think those plants had lives too? They are living creatures. Its been proven plants feel pain, and the fact is plants are just as important as animals.

I may be biased, but I am rightfully biased in my eyes. You look at any Vegan, and then you put them up to a normal omnivorous person, and who will be stronger, have more muscle, and be generally more healthy? The omnivore. It's been proven by numerous scientific tests, look it up yourself and find out.

And no, fish are not plants. They have sexual reproduction via sex and they bear and lay eggs. They are mobile and they also cannot photosynthesize. So in short they are animals. It just goes to show that vegans are hypocrites.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

[quote]Some vegetarians I know just don't eat specific animals because they don't like their meat. That's perfectly ok. Now if someone says s/he's a veg because of the 'oor animals', and then only doesn't eat red meat (fish isn't qualified as red meat; chicken isn't either btw), then that's completely hypocritic.

thats what i mean. they say they dont eat meat but then they say that they eat fish. is it then a paradox, or unlogic?[/quote]

I don't think it's a paradox. I think it's illogical to eat fish if you're a vegetarian. Here's why: Fish are animals. Therefore, unless someone makes an argument that calls fish plants, then there isn't much to discuss that hasn't already been discussed.
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

The reason why Vegans eat fish is because they need protein.

There are many ways to obtain protein. You don't have to eat meat to get it. Although it is the most delicious route to it.

But, to the topic. Fish ARE animals. Until someone can prove with real science otherwise. They are mobile, do not produce clorophile and lay eggs. They are not mammals but they are ANIMALS.

and dont start to argue that fishes are meat because they say then its not.

Fish is not considered a meat. Meat is considered the flesh of a mammal or bird. Which a fish is neither. I will give them that. But, they tend to say they eat nothing with a face

Vegetarians will eat fish. If they do they are still considered a vegetarian. Vegans on the other hand do not eat fish. If they do they are no longer vegan but a vegetarian.

As I said before; Nit-wit vegetarians

I will agree with this.
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Well, for starters, they're definitely not plants...
Also, they are considered vertebrates, and to be a vertebrate means that yes, fish are animals. As to why vegetarians eat them, I don't know it seems a bit hypocritical.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Well, for starters, they're definitely not plants...
Also, they are considered vertebrates, and to be a vertebrate means that yes, fish are animals. As to why vegetarians eat them, I don't know it seems a bit hypocritical.

I agree with you there. Also, the best way to keep a thread going to to have people take opposite sides. Therefore, I will quote Keyara:

But, to the topic. Fish ARE animals. Until someone can prove with real science otherwise. They are mobile, do not produce clorophile and lay eggs. They are not mammals but they are ANIMALS.

I agree with that.

Fish is not considered a meat. Meat is considered the flesh of a mammal or bird. Which a fish is neither. I will give them that. But, they tend to say they eat nothing with a face

I think a fish is meat and therefore shouldn't be eaten by vegetarians.

Vegetarians will eat fish. If they do they are still considered a vegetarian. Vegans on the other hand do not eat fish. If they do they are no longer vegan but a vegetarian.

I agree that vegans won't eat fish, but if a vegetarian eats fish, that is hypocritical because vegetarians don't eat meat.

I will agree with this.

I have no opinion on the use of "nit-wit" to describe vegetarians.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

The reason why Vegans eat fish is because they need protein. It's because Veganism isn't natural. We didn't evolve and advance our species by being backward plant eating hippies, no, we ate meat and we became omnivores.

but if you need protein you can eat it as pills. ive hears from vegetarians that they eat no meat but they eat fish. i start then to argue with them, trying to make clear that fish is meat but they say its not.

Therefore, unless someone makes an argument that calls fish plants, then there isn't much to discuss that hasn't already been discussed.

thats the point, some of them want to belive that fish is not meat but if you ask them then whether its a plant they say no.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Well, yes, fish meat is specifically labeled "fish", so in terms of everyday terms, not eating fish is not eating "meat". But, if you mean meat in the biological sense, basically muscle, flesh, then that's different; and honestly, I find it very strange to make a linguistical difference in a nutritional matter 0.o

They tend to say they eat nothing with a face? Now that's the most ridiculous excuse I've heard XD
Showing 1-15 of 42