ForumsWEPRTeaching Through Video Games

62 17648
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I've seen how people train dogs by giving them treats after saying a word and making them sit then giving them a treat. I've also noticed how I am trained to raise my hand and sit down after entering a classroom and I recieve a good grade for doing that, so I continue. (except in this case, the good grade is always rewarded unlike the treat)
My question is, do you think video games could be used to teach things like that also? And if you think it can then do you think that you can make it so they use the lesson in real life as well.

• 62 Replies
macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

The US Army is thinking of using realistic war video games in the training. I think it could help.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

The US Army is thinking of using realistic war video games in the training. I think it could help.

I think that will have an interesting effect, but it's still not even close to the real training since you don't feel anything.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I highly doubt a video game could train a dog. The dog wouldn't look at the screen.

They've created a new tv channel specifically designed for dogs to watch, which apparently really works, so you never know.
mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

I'm not really sure. It'd be pretty hard to teach through video games. I mean, who in the world buys a video game for educational purposes. All I learned from videogames are types of guns like Maschinepistole and the best way to kill zoms.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

All I learned from videogames are types of guns like Maschinepistole and the best way to kill zoms.

Congrats that you never play anything other than overrated FPS games.

I've learned quite a bit through video games actually. From strategic thinking, resource management, planning, problem solving, geographic direction and orientation, bits and pieces of different cultures and developed reflexes along with good searching skills, I'd say they have been quite beneficial.
mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

now if this were in the flash games forum, that'd be something else. My business skiils have tripled from "Lemonade Stand," and don't even get me started about Roller Coaster Tycoon...

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I've learned quite a bit through video games actually. From strategic thinking, resource management, planning, problem solving, geographic direction and orientation, bits and pieces of different cultures and developed reflexes along with good searching skills, I'd say they have been quite beneficial.

Videogames can help you in that way, but I was wondering if videogames could teach you something that later becomes instinct, like dropping to the ground when you hear an explosion, or always putting on a mitten when touching a pot on the stove, so just basic stuff that you don't think much about.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I was wondering if videogames could teach you something that later becomes instinct, like dropping to the ground when you hear an explosion, or always putting on a mitten when touching a pot on the stove, so just basic stuff that you don't think much about.

I would assume so, although from the examples you're giving that's not teaching you -why- just what.

For example, if you play games where there's lots of explosions and your character is always dropping to the ground, you may (if you are ever in the presence of one...) follow suit as well, as a reaction based on playing these games. This doesn't mean that you understand the reasons for which you drop to the ground, namely to present less of a target to shrapnel and to reduce the impact of the incoming shockwave.

It's hard to say what you learn where, but I know I've picked up general knowledge of how things work and what things are/do from video games about many different subjects.
maninfrontofthemask
maninfrontofthemask
95 posts
Jester

K I think I posted this exact same thing in another thread but I'm gonna put it here too. On patv.com (penny arcade TV) there is a weekly web show called Extra Credits where they critically analyze and discuss important topics that are video game related and I think alot of you guys would be interested to see their video called "Tangential Learning". It discusses the idea of making the subject to be learned interesting to the audience (player) so they actively seek more information about it, whether they search in the game itself or research it. I will post the link below if you like you can watch it. http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/tangential-learning

hawkeye
hawkeye
243 posts
Nomad

I learned a lot of things from Video Games like Biology, different reactions in given circumstances, What to do when this is going on, and a lot of other stuff that can happen. As for English I learned everything from the games.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

i have heard that video games are good for the hand-eye coordination. they can also teach many things like morals or pieces of wisdom. but you can even learn languages and other stuff from video games. if you play enjoyable riddle games like monkey island then you can train your brain.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I would assume so, although from the examples you're giving that's not teaching you -why- just what.

Do you think of how you need to pull your hand away from the stovetop? Things like that are reflexes that can't have thinking involved because that would make it too slow of a reaction.
And just having the person be able to reason why they're dropping to the ground would be too simple, you could write it in a book for them to understand it, but since playing video games is such an immersive experience I was wondering if it could influence you so much as to make you drop to the ground when you hear an explosion without and thought given to it.

K I think I posted this exact same thing in another thread but I'm gonna put it here too. On patv.com (penny arcade TV) there is a weekly web show called Extra Credits where they critically analyze and discuss important topics that are video game related and I think alot of you guys would be interested to see their video called "Tangential Learning". It discusses the idea of making the subject to be learned interesting to the audience (player) so they actively seek more information about it, whether they search in the game itself or research it. I will post the link below if you like you can watch it. http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/ta ⦠l-learning

Looks interesting but how did you find this thread? I thought it was long gone and would never come back.
macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

Simulations, not video games train many people in many jobs such as pilots. I think the US army is going to use a simulator game to train soldiers as well. I would really like to be in a fighter pilot simulation.

maninfrontofthemask
maninfrontofthemask
95 posts
Jester

Looks interesting but how did you find this thread? I thought it was long gone and would never come back

Dunno, was bored and it's an interesting topic to be sure because with video games muscling in as one of the more popular new medias, it is important to investigate whether it can be a truly enriching experience to people as opposed to a time killer. Besides I think this topic was on like the second or third page of threads so it wasn't all that buried anyway.
nitin007
nitin007
85 posts
Peasant

There are games that pay attention to detail, however, those games will only focus on specialized topics such as a revolution in the balkans, or certain aspects of World War II. More often than not, it will be too much information to process at one time while playing the game. Also, I've noticed that when younger kids play games, many of them become frustrated quickly, which detracts from the fun of everyone around them, so I don't know if using video games to teach young kids would be a good idea.

Showing 46-60 of 62