ForumsProgramming ForumAG3 changes

24 12490
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

As most of you know AG3 will be released sooner or later. On top of that the forums might get completely wiped. Along with our most prized stickies. Which hold back the regurgitated flood of repeated simple questions. So I propose we start working or think of new updated and more cumulative potential stickies.

It would be nice if we could do it as a community but if people don't want to I would be more than happy to take the burden along with anyone who wants to help me.

So does anyone have any ideas of what stickies there should be or what they should contain?

• 24 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

The programming stickies we have now are quite outdated too... the Good Programming Technique 101 is as2, so nobody cares much about it anymore (plus it's all about coding into frames, while using classes is generally a better idea in as3). The other ones don't include many possibilities like Stencyl, FlashDevelop, the 80% student discount for Flash which is available for pretty much everyone on AG, and the possibility to start with other languages such as Java, HTML5, Phyton or whatever. So AG3 would definitely be a good occasion to update them.
I think the stickies should contain:
- all the possible programs for game making I listed before
- some popular as3 sites snd tutorials for beginners, like this one, and Adobe's livedocs and support pages.
- hopefully, something about armorgames' API and how to use it.
However, it looks like AG would like to revamp their programming section as well, so we can expect some help from them.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

So something like a General Programming Stickie? I would think 5-6 stickies would be a good number.

-Actionscript 3 Almanac
-Flash, Stencyl, FlashDevelop and other technologies
-Web coding for the web (PHP, MYSQL, HTML5, CSS)
-General coding (All other languages)
-Armorgames API (Should include Kong API too)

However, it looks like AG would like to revamp their programming section as well, so we can expect some help from them.

I think the programming thread can handle API programming questions but a pure game design and theory forum would be very nice to have also.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

seems like a good idea! though the dev corner will be "revamped" not many ideas where sugested on the topic other in AG3 part of the forums... i would be nice to see some guys down here to maybe jump start the topic again!

I think the programming thread can handle API programming questions but a pure game design and theory forum would be very nice to have also.

this would be nice as i think the "flash games" part of the forum is full of "iz liken diss game" stuff, so acculy geting work done there is not so easy, then this part of the forum is "coding", game design does not realy fit etheir... so a game design forum would be nice...

darkroot you should do a getsatifaction it is your idea!
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

seems like a good idea! though the dev corner will be "revamped" not many ideas where sugested on the topic other in AG3 part of the forums... i would be nice to see some guys down here to maybe jump start the topic again!

We are a minority here on AG we are the smallest part of the community if you don't include AG3 which is catching up to us anyway.

this would be nice as i think the "flash games" part of the forum is full of "iz liken diss game" stuff, so acculy geting work done there is not so easy, then this part of the forum is "coding", game design does not realy fit etheir... so a game design forum would be nice...

Yeah true flash game forum is a bit lax if you want a serious scrutiny of your work. But then again you have to have something original and not only a platformer :P. Made a thread could be made where people can link their game and people can respond alongside discussion of game design and theory.

darkroot you should do a getsatifaction it is your idea!

It might be my idea but it is a community forum and I want to see what people have to contribute or think should be added or removed. If we could only get some of the 71+ lurkers here to post too it would be nice.

I'm kinda struggling to think how many languages should be covered in General coding thread and which ones. I'm sure Python and Java will but not sure of the others. I think C++ is a bit too advanced and broad for this community.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I think C++ is a bit too advanced and broad for this community.

How is it too advanced? I never learnt any other programming language, but it isn't hard to use or understand.
Yeah true flash game forum is a bit lax if you want a serious scrutiny of your work.

I have done some serious topics in the video games section, but haven't ever visited the flash game section so can't really speak for there.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I think C++ is a bit too advanced and broad for this community.

It is in comparison to other language they like Python and Java. Since C++ doesn't really do much for you like garbage collection, memory allocation and lower level functions. When you only touch upon the surface it seems easy but when you try to do complex things with it compared to Python it gets real hard real fast. If something is more powerful it usually means it's harder/more complex. If you google hardest programming language you will get a consensus of C++ among other less know programming languages.

I think I may scrap Java since Actionscript 3 is just a derivation of it. I might actually do C++ since I want a beginner, intermediate progression.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I think I may scrap Java

Hmm... I would be willing to help with the Java sticky proposal, when I find time. What kind of things would you want it to have? General methods? Or maybe a general ask-and-answer how-to? Perhaps just a compilations of Java programs (with explanations) by Armor Games users? Or possible a mixture of the aforementioned?
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Hmm... I would be willing to help with the Java sticky proposal, when I find time. What kind of things would you want it to have? General methods? Or maybe a general ask-and-answer how-to?

I was thinking of intro to some intro OOP concepts. I don't think a general ask-and-answer would be good since not that many people here are interested in Java and even less to answer those questions.

Perhaps just a compilations of Java programs (with explanations) by Armor Games users? Or possible a mixture of the aforementioned?

Maybe but I don't think java has a big niche here. AS3 is interesting to people since most people want to make flash games. Python is a good language for beginners in general and C++ has shown up a large number of times even with it's harder difficulty.
If you know AS3 then you know most of Java and vice versa. I don't really see why we would need both.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

C++ has shown up a large number of times even with it's harder difficulty.

I would like to have a C++ sticky here, I was actualy just going to use the programming topic for posting stuff though, but since that will be gone after AG3 having seprerate topics for programming launguage will definatley organize things.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I was thinking of intro to some intro OOP concepts.

So maybe just how to create a class that constructs objects, and how to code methods to act upon that object?
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

So maybe just how to create a class that constructs objects, and how to code methods to act upon that object?

Probably a bit more than that. But like I said I would do that with AS3 than Java since I don't like doing the same thing twice.

I would like to have a C++ sticky here, I was actualy just going to use the programming topic for posting stuff though, but since that will be gone after AG3 having seprerate topics for programming launguage will definatley organize things.

Yeah probably limiting it to two languages would be the best.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Probably a bit more than that. But like I said I would do that with AS3 than Java since I don't like doing the same thing twice.

Okay. I'm sure I don't know as much about the languages as you, but I'm still keeping my offer open, if you want me to help with anything. Good luck writing your tutorials!
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Yeah, sounds good I might do some transitional concepts for Java and at the very least I'll let you double check the information or add concepts that you find necessary or interesting.

Problem is AS3 is going to be a bigger haul since it's based on application. Going to have to think of what concepts to cover.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

I'm going to start coming up with a list of useful links and resources. I'll also group them into sections and stuff. The current sticky for links isn't that good really.

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

I would not mind a section on programming theory in general. The kind of stuff you find in a "Intro to CS" class, not one specific to any language. Once you start mapping out concepts like logic flow and OOP it is actually pretty easy to translate them to any language.

Showing 1-15 of 24