ForumsWEPRSame-Sex Marriage

98 21519
MisterArb
MisterArb
9 posts
Nomad

Foreword
I'm mainly making this thread because the same-sex marriage thread on the forum I frequent is getting boring to be honest, with all but a couple posters advocating same-sex marriage. I didn't see a thread on this on the last 5 pages or so (and couldn't help but notice the spam of religious threads. Honestly, you guys can't keep the stupid religious arguments to just one or two threads?), so I decided to make a new thread rather than bump an older one. I'm looking forward to see how the AG community views the issue of same-sex marriage, especially since this forum seems to be filled with more, uh, "immature" users than what I'm used to dealing with. And as you can tell by my lack of posts, I'm new to the AG forums, so if I commit some faux pas here, be sure to point it out to me. Until then, I'm just going to assume that the forums here operate like most others I frequent.

Background
The LGBT (which stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender for any who doesn't know and is too lazy to use google) community has long had troubles with gaining acceptance within most religious communities, especially Christianity, which generally dominates many facets of society here in America, including the concept of "marriage". Social Liberals on this issue believe that (legal, not religious) marriage should be available to all couples, same-sex or heterosexual, and it goes against the constitution to deny same-sex couples this right. Meanwhile, social conservatives argue that the LGBT community are "deviants" who do not deserve "special" rights, such as the ability to have same-sex marriages recognized by the state. They sometimes say that the LGBT community are pushing their "agenda" on society, especially youth, and laws need to be passed that prevents them from achieving equa-*cough*, sorry, special rights.
Up until the last decade, there had been little progress as far as achieving same-sex marriages go, and all of the efforts to raise awareness seemed to just cause states to specifically ban same-sex marriage in their constitutions. But, recently there has been relatively huge steps toward equality in marriage, with several states starting to hand out marriage licenses to same-sex couples and many more allowing "civil unions" (basically the same-sex marriage equivalent to the separate but equal doctrine). But still, married same-sex couples are denied many benefits that other married couples enjoy due to the "Defense of Marriage Act" passed by Congress in 1996. The Defense of Marriage Act also allows states to not recognize same-sex marriages done in other states.

Questions
(brotip: the "why" parts are just as important as the question itself. Just posting your side of the issue without giving any arguments is practically useless)

1. Do you believe same-sex couples should be allowed to marry? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe Christianity should influence our country's laws when regarding same-sex marriage? Why or why not?
3. Should the federal government repeal the Defense of Marriage Act? Why or why not?
4. Should the federal government enact a law that forces the legality of same-sex marriages? Why or why not?
5. Do you believe allowing same-sex couples to marry will somehow endanger society in some way? Why or why not?

That seems to be enough to get this topic rolling. Looking forward to your replies.

• 98 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Our nation was founded on the bible, and even today we should still follow it.

I'm pretty sure it was founded on political, and religious freedom.
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

chapter and verse.

Ummmmm, Gen 12...

Gen 19 is the one where they are destroyed, and it was not for homosexuality, but because of crimes against the poor, and the thought of "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is yours" which is the thought of the ignorant.

No it wasn't. I am Jewish, and I don't follow the Torah in every which way. The Bible is imperfect, and full of things that are not plausible in the world of today. We need to start to disestablish our government for religion.
KineticNinja
KineticNinja
167 posts
Nomad

Do you believe same-sex couples should be allowed to marry? Why or why not?

I think same-sex couples should be allowed to marry if they want, I don't know why anybody seems against it. Sure, it seems kind of wrong to me, but it's still unfair to the gay/lesbian people.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That would be a pretty stupid nonsensical move to make considering most of the founding fathers were deist and wanting to escape a church run government.

But I think it has already been said before that this does not matter as we are suppose to have a separation of church and state. Something even religious groups should support as this protects their freedom to believe in and worship pretty much as they please.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

I don't think that churches should be forced to accept same-sex marriages, but as a legal status, yes it should be legal.

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Our nation was founded on the bible, and even today we should still follow it

Our nation was founded on christian views by christians it wasn't exactly founded on the bible.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Our nation was founded on christian views by christians

Most founding fathers were not Christians, and they weren't using Christian views to build the nation.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Here is what I think about samesex marriage: blah blah blah bad. blah blah blah common sense. Don't encourage same sex marriage. Studies show that when woman and woman come together equals deformed baby. Although I dont know if that is true.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Our nation was founded on the bible, and even today we should still follow it
It was also founded on white supremacy. The founders had a vision of a country of freedom, equality and prosperity... for white men.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Most founding fathers were not Christians, and they weren't using Christian views to build the nation.

Sorry I was going to correct myself but you just did.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Here is what I think about samesex marriage: blah blah blah bad. blah blah blah common sense. Don't encourage same sex marriage. Studies show that when woman and woman come together equals deformed baby. Although I dont know if that is true.

You're welcome to create a more constructive post and try again if you want.

When you say "studies show", you provide said study. I would love to know how and why "woman and woman come together equals deformed baby". That would be quite the read!
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

It was also founded on white supremacy. The founders had a vision of a country of freedom, equality and prosperity... for white men.

Here is a did you know from Deathbewithyou. Did you know that George Washington owned a slave farm? after his presidency he freed all those slaves.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

When you say "studies show", you provide said study. I would love to know how and why "woman and woman come together equals deformed baby". That would be quite the read!

You are going to have to google it. I only heard it on Fox news. Still I dont know if this is true or not, I only know it is some study about same sex marriage.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Did you know that George Washington owned a slave farm? after his presidency he freed all those slaves.
That's a fun fact. I didn't know that. Of course, freeing slaves does not somehow mean someone isn't a white supremacist. The founders were white supremacists.

Fox news
inb4 liberals whining about how only news sources with a strong liberal bias are credible.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I only heard it on Fox news.

Ah. Here is the problem.

Quicker answer, it's not true. It's equivalent to the scares secondary school attendants preach to the students about the "dangerous risks" with drugs. Anyone can take what they don't like and weave webs of woe to the wool-eyed viewers to be swayed.
Showing 61-75 of 98