ForumsWEPR[necro]What's the big deal about smoking?

163 52433
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I don't get people why they are so against it?
If someone chooses to smoke let them do so, no one crashes a car while smoking.In my opinion, its like every thing else that is excess of everything is bad.
My father started it at 17(same as me) and my grand fater at 14.They are still okay(now they age 79 and 40).
Tell me about your opinions.

• 163 Replies
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

I've seen doctors take a smoking break. It's bad sure, but so is driving, and flying, going on a ship, ect. One mistake will kill you.

Driving, flying, going on a ship -- all have practical solutions with the only shortcomings being the lack of positive exercise you receive, which is more of a "neutral" element.
Smoking has practical applications with undoubted shortcomings, but those applications are to such small extent and are able to be substituted with being a genuinely smart person who can manage his / her problems more effectively.

As in, actually solving them, instead of trying to burn off a by-product (that can be avoided) of that problem without doing anything else.

3. No, I think you'll find being a soldier is a lifestyle choice that leads to death,

"One of"
Yes, smoking leads to death, or at least a (significantly?) shortened lifespan.
seconded by driving.

Seconded by idiocy.

Do you drive a car? A lot of people do and a lot of people die. BAN CARS!!!!

Smoking is an effector on everyone doing it, and even second-hand (you have no right to make me do anything, to please your negative habit without me suffering -- that in itself is negative, so EnterOrions idea of me moving upwind can get lost) is dangerous. The problem is that the mobility granted by a car is instrumental for so many things, the amount of time saved on it is pretty astonishing, as is the time used in it (and the opportunities presented by it). Should I bring up that smoking again has no practical applications for stress that can't be substituted?
Hell, try meditation.

Oh lovely, an anti-smoker. Let the fun begin.

Also known as someone who is not stupid.

1. I already said I don't smoke around other people **** wit.

It's a viable reason to bring up -- whom's to say he was directing it at you, "****" wit?

2. My wife smoked, and my kids are strong healthy kids. Shove your propaganda where the sun don't shine.

Is there any actual denial of its effects? It need not be as prominent of devastating to note that it is actually there.

Any idea how many non-smokers get cancer? Research it, and get some knowledge.

How about you show it to me. You're consistently someone who shines out with statistical nonsense that I can only ask that you actually put the money where your mouth is.
Same for No.5.

6. Non-smokers live longer do they? Do they? Go on, grab me those statistics? Show me them in black and white! Go ahead, I've got all night!

I've got plenty of time.
Not to mention that statistics are that which you've not provided. What is already presented by tar, carbon monoxide and other properties of cigarettes should be enough evidence to tell you that, hello? It's bad.

I have trouble believing this, unless you're one of those people who can't tolerate any smoke, tobacco or not.

Let me ask you.
Why should he tolerate it? Make an honest point that justifies you influencing others in a way where they need to make the effort to nullify a negative effect. You've no right.

I dunno about that. My mother did a pretty good job, and she's been smoking since she was 11.

It's a battle of wills. Smoking is an easy, relaxed way of letting out stress for people. As opposed to other methods that take more effort or more discipline to handle. It's annoying to see others unable to handle themselves, apparently "due to stress" that can easily be because of poor perception.

Ummm... no.

With my previous reasoning, it's a yes until you prove otherwise.

Am I? Or am I just blowing it out of my mouth?

Wind has a direction you know. It's not hard to smell the trail of someone who is smoking 8 yards in front of you.

If I go in some shop and someone other than shopkeeper tells me to put it out , my answer is only tw words which i wont write here as i cant afford another ban

Fortunately, I don't mind getting banned for this, because this is reasonable.
You, if you actually believe this, are an ignorant ******* or an arrogant prick.
What makes you honestly think you have that right, to inconvenience others for what is NO good reason? To show utter disrespect towards people whom asked you to nullify a negative effect you YOURSELF created?
I'll repeat those two words you likely say. **** you.

Or is it "off"? I'd appreciate if you didn't ask whether I cared or not. You disgust me.

so is drinking, people do stupid things while drunk but no one puts a ban on drinking

It's genuine to the people and the moderation of the drug itself. People die from overdoses, should they ban paracetamol entirely?
No, it's effective, has positive applications.
Alcohol? Not so much, not formal ones at all, either -- but consider that it also doesn't need negative effects attached, if the people drinking can handle it without being stupid. Which is often (bad stories are told more than good ones).

It's surprisingly irritating how arrogant and inconsiderate you guys seem to be to defend your poor habit. You can't say it's a good or even "neutral" one either, so why bother? It sounds more like you're defending genuine smokers because the majority are nowhere near under poor enough conditions to require such easy stress relief. Even the PERCEPTION of things can aid in relieving stress, not looking at things so badly, or getting angry with things that can't be changed... a lot of this is derived from common flaws in humans. NOT human nature.

South Park handled this situation with a degree of professionalism that I haven't seen from anybody on either side of this argument.

I'm not of professional nature but that does not mean anything in terms of the strength of my point.

i could never understand why he started. and im sure that his problem is (or maybe was) his weak will and not actual addiction

Addiction is very... strange, to say the least. There are behavior and drug addictions in people that I've never had for myself. Granted, I've never attempted to have a cigarette and very bluntly refuse to anyone offering me one if they're my friends or family. Even if they're joking, I don't like the idea of my smoking one bit, "just try one" is rightfully responded to with a "No thanks", and of course something to elaborate that I would never touch one -- the idea of forcing that on me would end poorly for that person, I would think.

You know, because I can run and they can't catch me. Weyyyy! Smack-talk for the win!
No, but seriously, I would respond with whatever I could if someone attempted to put a cigarette in my mouth.

Who are we to tell them what legal and non-legal actions they can do? If you don't like them smoking, then walk away.

Legal and illegal actions do not define what is morally acceptable. Would you allow a gamer's laziness or addiction to games to force another to bring him essentials like food and water? No, you would turn off the console, and make him do it himself. This can stand for most addictions or negative habits, and legal or illegal dictations do not stand for ANYTHING aside from the consequences. Frankly, I'm annoyed they haven't been so aggressive in their reduction of smoking over the years.

I guess it's a good thing you aren't inhaling all of it, isn't it?

You would be wrong.
It would be less of a bad thing.

Yes, this IS relevant. Don't think I'm being picky for the sake of inconveniencing your day, I'm doing it on a mathematical level to make it fair -- and fairness says that it's not AS bad as it could've been. Either way, you've no right to let that negative effect hit them anyway, being as you actively create it around them.

If somebody is still standing there while inhaling all of it, I would call an ambulance. They're probably having a heart attack.

So you're saying someone... I guess "not stupid" and "non-smoker" would move out of the way. Nope, you should.

- H
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Should I bring up that smoking again has no practical applications for stress that can't be substituted?
My stress wants to kill you. Smoking is a stress reliever. (not that I smoke, seeing as I'm completely under-age)
Hell, try punching a pillow instead of thinking of ways to off you.
barrelroller21
barrelroller21
12 posts
Farmer

ima bring somthing up right now....
are we talking tabacco or marajuana....
but.
it its tobacco its bad for you dont do it
but marajuana is ilegal even though there have been no deaths on record soley atributed to marajuana.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Really I would advise everyone not to smoke. There doesn't seem to even be any pros to it at all except for relieving stress, but there are way better ways to do that than smoking. Also, it is harmful to others around you, whether you say go somewhere else or not, you can't tell 100 people to go somewhere else in a crowded city. Hate me if you want, but I can't stand smokers and start excessively coughing loudly whenever one comes near. It shorten's your life as well and gives you way more of a chance to get lung cancer. And I haven't heard of anyone who didn't regret quitting.

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well ,I have asthma, and if I get near anyone who is smoking, then I get into an asthma attack. Once that happened, I was at the hospital for a week. And apparently people say that the nicotine patches and nicotine gum doesn't work. Well just get that electronic cigarrete. It's steam.

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

I smoke, I have been since I was 12 years old, so its been a while now. And I really hate smoking not because it's unhealthy, that is hardly the reason people quit these days. It is because smoking is a financial leech and a social leech. It affects your social life, especially when your in a pub and you want to go out for a cigarette and your the only one standing outside. It make you physically less appealing to the opposite sex (yellowing of teeth, increased aging of skin, etc.) Apart from the stress relief, which is very short lived because once you get addicted you don't feel the rush and you do it to feel normal. I'd say those are the reasons for hating smoking.

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

oh yes one more thing, people who say they have asthma and smoking makes it worse, that's true but if you allow yourself to believe that to an extreme point then psychologically your body will react worse that it should, I only say this because I am also asthmatic.

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

I dunno. In my opinion it's just society. (In a high pitched voice) "Oh, cigarettes are bad! The second hand smoke can kill you! They are dangerous for society!. . ." First of all, cigarettes aren't bad. A cigarette sitting on a table won't pick up a M249 and start shooting at you. People just say they are "bad" because they think that they "cause cancer" and stuff. Well guess what? Cigarettes don't cause cancer. People who choose to smoke. . . I dunno. . . indirectly kill themselves?

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

okay, I'm getting back into this, regrettably.

oh yes one more thing, people who say they have asthma and smoking makes it worse, that's true but if you allow yourself to believe that to an extreme point then psychologically your body will react worse that it should, I only say this because I am also asthmatic.

lol, two sides of one really odd coin.

but the evidence still shows the liabillities outweigh the benefit of stress release.

I know smokers, a lot actually. I see them at work all the time, they all say the same thing, "I hate this habbit, but I just can't get myself to stop." now let me ask you, if smoking is so great, why are smokers (long time ones too, they've smoked through their kids growing up) wanting to get off the habit? nothing's different, it's just that they realize how hard it is to keep the habit going nowadays.

whatever your views on the habit are, you will still have to face the fact that people around you don't like the smell of smoke on anything (except leather, that smell is actually rather...fitting). governments are also starting to agree, and taxes and regulations on cigarettes are going to start comming out of the woodwork to make your habit all the more painful to accomodate.

-Blade
numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

and taxes and regulations on cigarettes are going to start comming out of the woodwork to make your habit all the more painful to accomodate.

the taxes on smoking is already phenomenal, increasing the price of something doesn't necessarily put you off, the price of food and necessities has gone up but you don't see people giving it up. At the end of the day it depends on the person willpower to give it up.

lol, two sides of one really odd coin.

now what do you mean by that mate?
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

now what do you mean by that mate?

well when I thought of it, it was two opposites, like the two sides, and they affect you, the coin. I've never met a smoker with asthma, so I thought it was odd.

so it in conclusion was two sides of one really odd coin.

the price of food and necessities has gone up but you don't see people giving it up. At the end of the day it depends on the person willpower to give it up.

we put up with food prices because we all need to eat, but not all of us need to smoke.

-Blade
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

but not all of us need to smoke.

Or want to.

"I hate this habbit, but I just can't get myself to stop."

Which is odd, now that you mention it. I've never met any smoker who was happy with their addiction, but the second someone asks them to stop/leave, they get extremely defensive.
ligaboy
ligaboy
1,052 posts
Peasant

I smoke, and it's a personal choice. A lot of my friends smoke so it makes things easier. If I want to smoke near a friend of mine who doesn't smoke I always ask if it is alright with them first. If it isn't then I'll move away from them to smoke.

Some smokers are very rude and will smoke near people even if they have a problem with it. On the other hand, some non-smokers are very rude, and will go out of their way to harass smokers.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Which is odd, now that you mention it. I've never met any smoker who was happy with their addiction, but the second someone asks them to stop/leave, they get extremely defensive.

it's because we are a proud species, and our pride is given a blow when people ask us to leave, or to stop.

I smoke, and it's a personal choice. A lot of my friends smoke so it makes things easier. If I want to smoke near a friend of mine who doesn't smoke I always ask if it is alright with them first. If it isn't then I'll move away from them to smoke.

thats good to hear.

Some smokers are very rude and will smoke near people even if they have a problem with it. On the other hand, some non-smokers are very rude, and will go out of their way to harass smokers.

that's just the way humans are. don't take it personally.

-Blade
numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

I've never met a smoker with asthma, so I thought it was odd.

there are many like that but few admit it because they want to avoid a lecture on how bad smoking is for asthmastics
Showing 46-60 of 163