ForumsWEPRHeaven and Hell?

811 182953
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I am catholic so I believe that there is heaven and hell. I do beleive that you have to do good in this world to be able to go to heaven but if you do evil and bad more than good in this world I do believe that you will go to hell.

Heaven it is hard to concept the thought of living for eternity in heaven and that everything would be perfect and everyone would be nice and kind.

Hell it is also very hard to think that you will be punished for many years until getting the chance to go to heaven. Also you could be in hell for eternity suffering if you do very bad things in this world.

What is you thought on heaven and hell?

Do you beleive in heaven and hell?

Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?

Is God really real?

Discuss, it can be short or long answers or views.

• 811 Replies
kklitzke
kklitzke
39 posts
Nomad

thats right it takes a buddest over70 yrs 2 achive inner peace

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

In Hindu philosophy, it is the union with the Supreme being

How do I have to understand that? Is it really a union meaning you loose your identity by melting into the supreme being and be a part of it?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

In Hindu philosophy, it is the union with the Supreme being through moksha (liberation from suffering involved in being subject to the cycle of repeated death and reincarnation or rebirth). Heaven? I don't know, I'm not a Hindu.

I was thought that Hinduism had no way out of reincarnation, even the gods reincarnated. One of the reasons Buddhism was so popular is that it offered a way out of reincarnation.

In strictly Buddhist, not Hindu terms (both got intertwined somewhere), it merely refers to a state of mind, not heaven.

Fine. Would we get back to the discussion if you mentally replaced "Buddhist" with "Hindu"?
kklitzke
kklitzke
39 posts
Nomad

you r u but u r the surpreme being at the same time

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

@Hahiha You'll have to ask a Hindu. Picked that up from Wiki.

@314 Carry on, we both have the same opinion on H&H either way, I'm just pointing out a minor theological mistake.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I don't know any Hindu, but ok^^ I don't remember in which situation, but I've already heard before of the concept of melting into a supreme being, as have/will others, and start being a part of the whole while losing your identity in the process. I don't know why but this thought frightens me...

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I don't know any Hindu, but ok^^ I don't remember in which situation, but I've already heard before of the concept of melting into a supreme being, as have/will others, and start being a part of the whole while losing your identity in the process. I don't know why but this thought frightens me...

Isn't that what reincarnation is all about? "You" are hardly you without your memories. And Heaven? You can't be you without what the Christians call "Sin".
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Isn't that what reincarnation is all about? "You" are hardly you without your memories.

Good point.. though I've read a story in which a guy goes to, uh, somewhere in Asia and meets with someone who, through some kind of ritual, enables him to have a vision of his former life and even a premonition about his coming life... nicho, do you know anythig about it? Is it actually really part of Bhuddism to be able to envision your other lives? Or is it just that story^^

Right; as Moegreche already pointed out:
Simply put: sinning makes us happy. The things we're really not supposed to do are often the things we derive a great amount of pleasure in. It seems like eliminating these desires would make you not really... 'you'. So if 'you' go to heaven, then you don't

That's why earlier on I called Heaven an endless lobotomy
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

nicho, do you know anythig about it?

In Buddhism, you're not supposed to know about your former lives. But some people have allegedly cheated that in Buddhist folklore.

Also, the way they choose Dalai Lamas involves ''remembering''.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

But some people have allegedly cheated that in Buddhist folklore.

Does it say anywhere how they cheated it so then I can do that if this religion is real.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

if the bible is the only proof than it is probably not real but i do believe in it because thats my religion but theirs not any proof

There are other books in Christainity other than the Bible that has God in it and Jesus.

Another religion beleives in God which is the Jewish religion but does not beleive that Jesus was the son of God instead beleived that he is a very good prophet.

The Christain religion focuses on Jesus Christ alot.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

There are other books in Christainity other than the Bible that has God in it and Jesus.

Which books would these be?

Another religion beleives in God which is the Jewish religion but does not beleive that Jesus was the son of God instead beleived that he is a very good prophet.

That's because they are both part of the Abrahamic religions. They are working with some of the same sources.
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

What's interesting is that Jews, by this definition, do not believe in the same god as Christians. For Christians, Jesus is God - they are they same entity. This is not the case for Judaism. So the Christian god has a property (namely, that of being Jesus) that the Jewish god does not have. And our old friend Leibniz can tell you that two things with different properties are not identical.

So the Christian god is unique amongst the major religions. It is interesting, however, that other faiths recognize Jesus' existence. That used to be a major reason why I thought he was a real person. But not any longer.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What's interesting is that Jews, by this definition, do not believe in the same god as Christians. For Christians, Jesus is God - they are they same entity. This is not the case for Judaism. So the Christian god has a property (namely, that of being Jesus) that the Jewish god does not have. And our old friend Leibniz can tell you that two things with different properties are not identical.

Not all Christian denominations hold this belief that Jesus is God. (I can't remember off the top of my head which one's)
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Isn't it like that that catholics are more centered around god and Maria, while the protestants are closer interested by Jesus? I don't know whether catholics see Jesus as god or not, I think they do, but don't attach much importance to it?

Showing 256-270 of 811