ForumsWEPRHeaven and Hell?

811 183145
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I am catholic so I believe that there is heaven and hell. I do beleive that you have to do good in this world to be able to go to heaven but if you do evil and bad more than good in this world I do believe that you will go to hell.

Heaven it is hard to concept the thought of living for eternity in heaven and that everything would be perfect and everyone would be nice and kind.

Hell it is also very hard to think that you will be punished for many years until getting the chance to go to heaven. Also you could be in hell for eternity suffering if you do very bad things in this world.

What is you thought on heaven and hell?

Do you beleive in heaven and hell?

Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?

Is God really real?

Discuss, it can be short or long answers or views.

• 811 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

it all depends on the religion. from what i learned in christianity you can pretty much do whatever you want but if you believe in jesus you will go to heaven.

Or for some, you have to receive absolution before you die. Which is why Hamlet's father went to Hell when he died, and why the murdering scumbag that is Claudius could have gone to heaven since he was praying in the Church when Hamlet almost killed him.

Kind of a crap deal if you ask me, if what you need to get to Heaven, depends heavily on having a priest at your deathbed, regardless of what you have done in your entire life.
Agent13
Agent13
19 posts
Nomad

nichodemus for some weird reason when i first read your name i was like richtofen in my mind xD

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

from what i learned in christianity you can pretty much do whatever you want but if you believe in jesus you will go to heaven.

I am sorry but I have to disagree you can't just kill people, ****, people and do whatever you want and just say you beleive in Jesus and go to Heaven. God knows everything you have done in your life.

The people who get to go to heaven are the ones who âget right with Godâ by beginning a relationship with Him through His Son Jesus Christ. If you are wondering how to "get right with God this is how:

The one way to get right with God is based completely on the Bible, not our opinion. This can be verified by reading the Bible yourself. Now, if we are going to follow what the Bible says about getting right with God, we have to answer three important questions.

Question 1: Why do I need Jesus?

Question 2: How Do I Accept Jesus?

Question 3: How Do I Stay Right With God Through Jesus?

Go to this site if you want more detail about the three questions.

I can't post that much each day anymore because I have school. Sorry if you want more of an opinion from me.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

but from what i remember you said that heaven is PROMISED to those who believe in jesus and many christians used to kill in the name of god and hurt people in one way or another. its definitely talking more about believing in jesus then actually being good. after all, a person can be as pure as can be but as long as he doesnt believe in jesus he WILL burn in hell. ive heard many times that those who believe in jesus will be forgiven doesnt matter what. it works for both extreme sides of a pure soul who doesnt believe and a killer who does

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

you can't just kill people, ****, people and do whatever you want and just say you beleive in Jesus and go to Heaven. God knows everything you have done in your life.

but god is all forgiving, right?
jesus died for our sins and all that.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

its the same god who is different. hmmm... not really good...

Well christianity is basicly a build off of judaism. With a few parts removed, and some more parts added. The original god is the same, we basicly just added Jesus and the holy spirt.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

some parts were removed? i thought that its kind of like a coninueation (real word?) to judaism

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

but from what i remember you said that heaven is PROMISED to those who believe in jesus and many christians used to kill in the name of god and hurt people in one way or another. its definitely talking more about believing in jesus then actually being good. after all, a person can be as pure as can be but as long as he doesnt believe in jesus he WILL burn in hell.

The problem with these promises is that it's usually the clergy, and more often than not, the Pope, the Supreme Pontiff, the Vicar of Christ, or in less fancy language, the representative of God on this Earth. We have seen it time and time again in the Crusades, or the backing of the Pope to kill off secular enemies of the Church.

So if the representative of God told you to kill, would you follow it? After all, he's the highest authority of your faith. If you claim not to follow him, then where is the basis of your beliefs and sedition from? Your own beliefs? But where's credibility, short of pulling it out from thin air?
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Well christianity is basicly a build off of judaism. With a few parts removed, and some more parts added. The original god is the same, we basicly just added Jesus and the holy spirt.

And by doing so, Christians have given their god properties that the Jewish god does not have. Any Christian faith that follows trinitarianism worships a god with different properties than the god of Abraham of Mohammed. They don't claim to, but that's because they don't recognize the logical commitments of their own faith. What a surprise.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

So if the representative of God told you to kill, would you follow it?

Are we talking about the Pope here. If we are I think not very many people will do it that are Roman Catholic. Since nobody really does everything the Pope says to do already.

If you claim not to follow him, then where is the basis of your beliefs and sedition from?

It is from learning about the Christain faith, going to church, and doing good to other people. Jesus came to Earth by God. Jesus showed how to live a life in God's name with honesty, love, compasion and being kind to everyone no matter what religion or skin colour they are.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

a god with different properties than the god of Abraham of Mohammed.

Could you maybe just name or list a few of the different properties just so I have an understanding.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Here is an interesting question:

Are humans free to choose whether they can go to Heaven or Hell, or is this fate predetermined by God?

Please comment of what you think of this question below.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,260 posts
Regent

Are we talking about the Pope here. If we are I think not very many people will do it that are Roman Catholic. Since nobody really does everything the Pope says to do already.

So you would say that even the highest authority of your religion on earth can be wrong about religious matters?

Are humans free to choose whether they can go to Heaven or Hell, or is this fate predetermined by God?

What point would there be left in a heaven/hell system if everyone could just choose?
What point would there be left if even though we have free will, we are rpedetermined to a certain place?
With those two questions, I think one might conclude that it must be something in between; if it exists, it must be more complex than simply choice or fate.
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Could you maybe just name or list a few of the different properties just so I have an understanding.

Sure, but just so you know, this idea has met very strong resistance. I think I've proven it, and I haven't seen a valid objection to it.

First, here is the trinitarian claim:
God is one divine being, but has three aspects (or persons): God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Most major Christian faiths adopt trinitarianism. They pray to one god, but recognize that this god has different aspects. So, these people's god has the property of being God the Son (Jesus).
But Jews and Muslims do not recognize Jesus as god incarnate - they are still waiting for this to happen. So their god does not have the aspect of being God the Son.

So, to sum up:
Christian God: has the property of being God the Son
Jewish/Islamic God: does *not* have the property of being God the Son

Leibniz's Law: if two things have different properties, they are not identical.
* this should be fairly obvious

Therefore: Christian God =/= Jewish/Islamic God

They are not identical. So these people pray to different gods.

QED.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

So....given that Catholics can't even trust the authority of the Pope, what is there to reassure them that they are on the path to truth?

It is from learning about the Christain faith, going to church, and doing good to other people. Jesus came to Earth by God. Jesus showed how to live a life in God's name with honesty, love, compasion and being kind to everyone no matter what religion or skin colour they are.

Right....so somehow now such churches have more authority than the Pope? Assuming, they are Catholic of course, before someone points out that point.

Secondly, you're just stating ''facts'' given to you. That doesn't justify whether they are valid or not, since they are just assertions.
Showing 286-300 of 811