ForumsGamesBest Faction Rome: Total War

112 31965
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

This is a forum comparing the factions in Rome Total war...
Contribute if you have the game!

If you dont, it costs like 10 bucks for Windows on Amazon, but quite a bit more for Mac... What are the best factions???????

• 112 Replies
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

Does anyone know how to hack Rome Total war so I can play as all factions? I want to try all the barbarians (Thrace and Spain Included)

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Does anyone know how to hack Rome Total war so I can play as all factions? I want to try all the barbarians (Thrace and Spain Included)

well you'd have to insert codes for those factions seeing as i doubt they made the codes for it, but decided to be ***** and leave no way to get to them
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

With windows, it is simple to add all factions (from what I have heard)

With a mac, it is extremely hard to unlock all of them... (From my tries to hack it right)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Just find the descr_strat.txt file in your Data\\world\\maps\\campaign\\imperial_campaign folder, open it with a text editor, and move all the unplayable factions to playable. Just cut and paste them. Note, cut. You can do the same for the unlockable factions.

That said, just remember two things. When you're playing the Senate, never attempt to click the Senate button, or you'll have a crashed game and a mountain of sadness. On the plus side, Rome never rebels, so feel free to screw with the Plebs and the tax rates.

Secondly, you can't add all the factions because there's not enough room for them in the selection menu. So if you want to play as the Thracians and Slaves, last two factions on the list if memory serves well, then you'll have to knock off two other factions on the list temporarily.

Oh wait....a third thing. Before editing the files, make a copy of the entire game, on the off chance that you mess up big time.
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

well, Im using a Mac, and that dosent work

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Read this.

eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

[Their huge provinces is a disadvantage; sending reinforcements takes years, by which the Scipii already have control of the capital, leaving you with the rest of the lesser cities. Which will then get whooped by Numidians one by one from the rear. If you play Carthage you have to play fast and furious to get past the initial stages.

Though most of the time, the AI Scipii in my games don't even proceed much into the African interior.]

When playing as Carthage, you need to fight most of the battles themselves, The Romans arent that hard, but if you autoresolve then you can be devastated. Plus Carthage has a lot of military variety, so you can smash your opponents in any number of ways.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Though most of the time, the AI Scipii in my games don't even proceed much into the African interior

Most. AI can play weird once in a while. And yes, Carthage can win if you don't autoresolve, but when you get to after the Reforms, the Roman troops are much better equipped, hence taking them out earlier is a good idea.
Eldaran
Eldaran
2 posts
Nomad

Sure with the Carthage you have many different troops, but for me there is only one solution... The Greek cities.
Anyway i m not that good in Attack, the greek cities provide the best defence unit in the game (at least i think so) The Spartan or also the Armoured Hoplite.
With them i dont care about the charriots, Rider, or elephants, etc... And sure, they dont have a great cavallary, but i only need them if the enemy is fleeing or to disturb Artillery/Archers...

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Sure with the Carthage you have many different troops, but for me there is only one solution... The Greek cities.
Anyway i m not that good in Attack, the greek cities provide the best defence unit in the game (at least i think so) The Spartan or also the Armoured Hoplite.
With them i dont care about the charriots, Rider, or elephants, etc... And sure, they dont have a great cavallary, but i only need them if the enemy is fleeing or to disturb Artillery/Archers...

I dunno Greek has good infantry, but of you get chariots or cavalry around their phalanxes, then you're screwed
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

Pikemen can decimate the Spartans because they have longer spears

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I dunno Greek has good infantry, but of you get chariots or cavalry around their phalanxes, then you're screwed

Flanking any unit almost certainly guarantees a victory.
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

Well flanking Phaylanxes is more powerful because the only way for them to fight is to turn ALL of their spears around

eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

ok, Who has the best Cavalry of all the factions?

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

i say Numidia, heavy cavalry, not effected by heat? that is pretty awesome

Showing 16-30 of 112