ForumsGamesBest Faction Rome: Total War

112 31968
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

This is a forum comparing the factions in Rome Total war...
Contribute if you have the game!

If you dont, it costs like 10 bucks for Windows on Amazon, but quite a bit more for Mac... What are the best factions???????

• 112 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Numidian cavalry is lightly armored. Cataphracts from Parthia and Seleucids for shock attacks, cataphract archers from Armenia for missile and
Armored cavalry. Camels might be their undoing though.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

but i'm an infantry man, i love egypt infantry

eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

Cataphracts, Companions, and Persian Archers. They can beat roman cavalry!

Squidbears
Squidbears
626 posts
Nomad

i havent played this game in a while... but i remember liking greece and their spartans Playing as Britannia was pretty fun too

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

but i'm an infantry man, i love egypt infantry

Would be massacred by late game Roman infantry. In fact everyone will. Overpowered!

Will be heading over to the deserts with my Germanic warriors soon. Would like to see what will happen. Hmmm. And a couple of ten star generals.
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

The Seleucids can push forward and destroy the romans if used right, im gonna start a new campaign... c ya later guys

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

I personally detest Parthia, she has such a poor economy, and it's so hard to keep her afloat. Plus, since the barbarians reach their max settlement caps at 6000 pop, they kinda blow late-stage game. I love the Seleucid's economy....but everybody, and I mean everybody, gangs up on you very quickly.

I don't know if anybody went and changed the playable factions like I did, but I really enjoyed playing Macedonia and Thrace, aside their poor infantry choices.

eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

Seleucids are amazing. favorite faction, half greek, half eastern, with a little roman thrown in to the mix

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Will be heading over to the deserts with my Germanic warriors soon. Would like to see what will happen. Hmmm. And a couple of ten star generals.

they gonna get screwed, used to a cool forest in the desert?

wut about the expansion? playing Barbarian Invasion as the Franks, and have gotten so big that all the tribes wanna be my friend, and the Romans don't want to deal with me so i gotz all the alliances
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

they gonna get screwed, used to a cool forest in the desert?

It's usually the armoured legions of Rome that suffer under the desert heat. I don't think Naked Fanatics will be bothered by it much.

wut about the expansion? playing Barbarian Invasion as the Franks, and have gotten so big that all the tribes wanna be my friend, and the Romans don't want to deal with me so i gotz all the alliances

Played mostly as ERE, easiest faction to play. Crush the Sassanids, then go after the Barbarians.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

It's usually the armoured legions of Rome that suffer under the desert heat. I don't think Naked Fanatics will be bothered by it much.

i demand they be renamed "Partially Naked Fanatics"

Played mostly as ERE, easiest faction to play. Crush the Sassanids, then go after the Barbarians.

meh, you get owned by history :P, the Franks i like because even their levy spearmen are good, and have javelins

i also noticed that the Sassanid's spearmen have essentailly sharpened poles, while the franks have nice real ones
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

i demand they be renamed "Partially Naked Fanatics"

The games can't allow full nudity can't they? Or prudes won't buy it.

meh, you get owned by history :P,

The ERE outlasted the Sassanids by 800 years.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

I dont know about you guys, but I think being the Western Roman Empire is beyond ridiculously hard. And the huns really aren't that fun once you have to settle down somewhere.

My favorite would have to probably be the Franks as well.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

My favorite would have to probably be the Franks as well.

Whoo!

The ERE outlasted the Sassanids by 800 years.

a little difference between "Outlasted" and "get molested by barbarians for a long time" Rome never regained power and just hung on till someone cut the rope
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

a little difference between "Outlasted" and "get molested by barbarians for a long time" Rome never regained power and just hung on till someone cut the rope

By that stage in the game itself, the ERE was essentially a unit by itself, independent of Rome. It remained the eminent power in the EE and arguably Europe until the 1200s.

And the Sassanids were definitely not barbarians.
Showing 31-45 of 112