ForumsGamesBest Faction Rome: Total War

112 31967
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

This is a forum comparing the factions in Rome Total war...
Contribute if you have the game!

If you dont, it costs like 10 bucks for Windows on Amazon, but quite a bit more for Mac... What are the best factions???????

• 112 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Not sure but they're not important here.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Forgot to mention that the red provinces are the most rebellious provinces, yellow might be those that tend to rebel, but not as frequently.

eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

ok, thanks for telling me. btw in BI how can I fully convert a settlement to help me gain special units without rebellion (ie Padalins for Franks, etc.)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Converting a conquered settlement which has different buildings from your faction?

Fredman12
Fredman12
47 posts
Nomad

I am debating weather the juilli and the greeks are my favorite

eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

Julii have pila, Greeks have phaylanx. GCS has no good cav. Romans do, but they have a tough time competing with their fellow families. Especially with the Gauls

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

GCS has no good cav.

Not that you need good cav when you use multiple phalanxes protecting your missile troops.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Unless of course they were flanked or just run around by any good cavalry, those things are walking tortoises

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Unless of course they were flanked or just run around by any good cavalry, those things are walking tortoises

Yes of course, but the AI usually doesn't flank you properly; your cav should still be able to see them off. And, you can choose a better battleground.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

I really like Carthage anyways, because they have the best sword fodder

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

because they have the best sword fodder

Their Iberian infantry is so easily cut to pieces by most factions.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Sword fodder, thy get killed and hurt them, send in peonis and Libyans, Maybe a sacred band or two and kill them, but being a defensive person I put spears up front , and the Iberians fill the gaps

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Sword fodder, thy get killed and hurt them, send in peonis and Libyans, Maybe a sacred band or two and kill them, but being a defensive person I put spears up front , and the Iberians fill the gaps

I tend to use only Poenis and Sacred Bands late game, with some Libyans in between, whilst my slingers and skirmishers pepper the enemy before they reach the line. And always try to fight on bridges and river crossings.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

I just don't like spears for some reason, I think sword v infantry is great, unless it's a phalanx

But then again I also like to as Thrace, you gotta love their bastarnae

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I have RTW but I haven't played it very much. The only time I played MP was using a Carthage power army against some poor sap with a Premarian army. :P I would have gone for something different if he told me beforehand...

Showing 61-75 of 112