ForumsGamesBest Faction Rome: Total War

112 31971
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

This is a forum comparing the factions in Rome Total war...
Contribute if you have the game!

If you dont, it costs like 10 bucks for Windows on Amazon, but quite a bit more for Mac... What are the best factions???????

• 112 Replies
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Pre Marian owns Post, their main troops are much better imo

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

lolwut? Hastati/Principes vs. Legionaries/Praetorians/Urbans?

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

. Legionaries/Praetorians/Urbans?
'

none of whom are main line units, they are elite infantry, a product of the newer tech

but Hastati V Auxilia is the real comparison
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

none of whom are main line units, they are elite infantry, a product of the newer tech

but Hastati V Auxilia is the real comparison

Legionnaires are the main line units, auxilia are the support troops, by virtue of three lines of reasoning, semantics (auxiliary = support), unit type (Spears, which show they aren't a direct successor of the Hastati/Principes), and history (Which dictated the legions of Roman citizens as the main army, supported by auxiliary drawn from the ranks of non-citizens.).
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Legionnaires are the main line units, auxilia are the support troops, by virtue of three lines of reasoning, semantics (auxiliary = support), unit type (Spears, which show they aren't a direct successor of the Hastati/Principes), and history (Which dictated the legions of Roman citizens as the main army, supported by auxiliary drawn from the ranks of non-citizens.).

been using them all wrong

also Hastati and principes were once spearmen
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

been using them all wrong

What?

also Hastati and principes were once spearmen

I know that, but they started adopting the swords of their Samnite enemies. What we're talking here is the game, not history, and in the game, they're depicted as swordsmen. Incorrect or not, that's inconsequential, because their successors are the legionnaires.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

What?

been using Auxilia as main lines with the others as replacements when the Auxiliaries fall
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

been using Auxilia as main lines with the others as replacements when the Auxiliaries fall

Wait.....so all the time you've been using Auxilia?
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Mostly them, at most about 5legionaries or above, some light auxiliary and archers, and at most 4 units of cavalry

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Hmmm. It should be the other way around, legionnaires are the grunts now....Auxilia at the flanks to prevent cavalry charges.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Actually my cavalry play an anti cavalry role, usually I commit all my infantry to the main battle, the first two units of cav will defend the flanks, and if possible the other two flank themselves, otherwise are on guard duty too

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Hmmm oh well, I usually just save cav for a final push, so I don't exhaust them initially.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Depends really, I'm a defender, I put down a siege and wait until either they starve off, or force me into the fight

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Depends really, I'm a defender, I put down a siege and wait until either they starve off, or force me into the fight

Something not really possible when the enemy sends reinforcements after you. I like to siege when I can, to preserve my men, but sadly, that's not always possible.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Something not really possible when the enemy sends reinforcements after you. I like to siege when I can, to preserve my men, but sadly, that's not always possible.

yeh being defensive is not the best for that game, unlike ETW, but that's a different thread
Showing 76-90 of 112