Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

Many of you hate them...
Im an emo girl...Yes =/.
Why you hate them? (If you do)
What do you think of them?
Etc.
I really, sometimes, think about suicide, and im not joking.
But i cant say the reasons on here,though they are obvious.

• 182 Replies
sezel69
sezel69
18 posts
Nomad

i h8 stereotypical emo's all others are kwl, i have emo and chav friends. labels r what u make of them good or bad =p

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

So we're aware that the labels aren't necessarily a reflection of the variety that it describes.

But is this any reason to be hateful of those that happen to be accurately described by the stereotypes?

sezel69
sezel69
18 posts
Nomad

no i mean people who are emos but wont even go near people like me, im a friendly guy all round, but what i cant stand is people who look at some1 and automatcially say 'emo' 'chav' sumthing lyk that, were all different, that is why labels are not needed. i have never labelled some1 and been correct, theres always sumthing bout some1 that u do not know.

FunkyMonkey
FunkyMonkey
22 posts
Nomad

Sezel, to me it sounds like you hate the people which made the label, but you like the ones that just call themselves emo, but are not really emo?

sezel69
sezel69
18 posts
Nomad

yes i h8 people who created labels, i cant understand the point in them.

sezel69
sezel69
18 posts
Nomad

from my experience in college, labels have onyl split groups up

sezel69
sezel69
18 posts
Nomad

i gtg home now i be back on monday, hopefully this topic still open then, have a good weekend all =)

UnknownShadow
UnknownShadow
132 posts
Blacksmith

Emotionality (if that is even a word, referring to overflowed with the wrong kinds of emotions) is often labeled as "emo." People see "emos" simply as people who hate their lives and cut their wrists. I simply see them as "unique." No, I am not "emo." The only problem I may have is when they interfere with my life, such as coming up to me every day saying "I hate my life." If "emos" say that they hate their lives, it is usually because they are just confused, and have yet to find their true purpose in life.

theorywizard
theorywizard
4 posts
Nomad

the label emo is ridiculous, everybody goes through a stage in their life where they feel inferior and lost. I guess some get lost in that stage. I'm really poor, can barely afford rent or food. I don't know what I want to do with my life and I have nobody to talk to. But you don't see me going around thinking about suicide. It's not like god hates you or anything because god is not real and you shouldn't blame your problems on anybody else but yourself. try and be positive and productive and that will surely help. if your actually thinking of suicide you should talk with someone about it!! I don't think you could get the best knowledgeable advice on a game website forum. being depressed is just thinking that your treated the worst on the planet. just remember there are people out there getting raped and murdered for no apparent reason while some people are going about how they are going to off themselves because they lost their job and their dog got ran over.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Let's get some real medical advice weighing in on this topic:

being depressed is just thinking that your treated the worst on the planet

Actually being depressed is much more than this. Thinking you're miserable and all alone etc. is merely one possible end product.

Depression is a curious catch-22 because all the advice that generally comes about on how to 'deal with it' all requires faculties that are not generally available to depressed people by virtue of their being depressed. This is why depression, properly speaking, is termed a pathology- it disallows the sufferer from making adaptive responses.

Therefore it is inappropriate to be making judgments based on somebody's mood status. It is also inappropriate to refer to the 'worse off than' game of oneupmanship because while it's true that some people appear to whine while not having much reason to whereas others are incredibly stoic, saying 'be quiet, you're not really suffering' is in fact the most counterproductive thing you can do.

As far as the psychosocial dimension goes, the best thing you can do for a person who appears to be depressed or doing the various unhealthy practices that might be associated with 'emotional emo' people (however you want to call it), is simply to be good company. Since when did people have to be rational? You don't have to take everything at face value, but if you run with it, that shared process can be far more valuable than those miserable words that are said.
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I mean every one gets depressed sometimes like when something bad happens 4 example. Parents getting devorced, sexuality, school, ect. I remember when i was depressed cause of..... even i dont remember.

Yeah like in my school when someone is sad of just mad and is not talking then they call that kid emo i think that it is dumb.

Yeah but if someone is depressed then there are pills that that they can take but the sad thing is noone who is depressed wants to tell a doctor that they era depressed.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

@ Ascender_257: You should go back and read this page, because I feel your take on the issues at hand are overly simplistic.

@ turret: Well, that speaks of the issue of 'how do we define depression?' I don't like what I've been doing, but throughout this thread I've been using the clinical definition of depression, the one that a psychiatrist may diagnose you with, and, as you correctly point out, even with this seemingly arbitrary, stringent definition, the proportion of people who are affected or will be affected is very high and likely understated.

It's not like mental illness is something that exists in like, a separate world of functioning- it's part of how we work and sometimes don't work xD

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

@strop: i now it is not a mental illness but it occurs in your mind like when you think like... "oh i did something wrong" you think of it in your mind and you think of it more so you make it seem worse like if i thought oh i got a bad grade or somnething my mind will keep that in my head that whole day and while that whole day is going on you make this little problem seem way worse. But the qeustion that i have for you is say you take these depression pills what do they do to make you not be depressed.

@Ascender_257: Emo's are not stupid they are just sad or something and i think that they cut because if they tell a person there so called problem and that person freaks out then they think that everyone will freak out. Like i new this kid he was my friend and he told me ge was gay but i didnt hate him but every one else did. (and the way all of these people found out is he told me and he told another one of his friends and he just had to tell everyone) so he got really depressed and almost killed himself so i think that it isnt the emo's fault that they cut themself it is the people who make it worse.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

But the qeustion that i have for you is say you take these depression pills what do they do to make you not be depressed.

I should answer this in the 'your medical questions answered' thread!

Nah, it's fine here. This actually depends on which pill you're taking. The most basic answer I can give is that for clinical depression or mood disorders in general, many cases there is a disturbance in the balance of various chemicals in your brain (dopamine, serotonin, noradrenalin, MAO etc. etc.) Different parts of the brain use different chemicals (known as neurotransmitters) to signal other parts of the brain so apparently influence and reflect the brain's state of operation. We say that there might be an issue with the balance when it appears that the behavior and moods of a person are found distressing or impinge on functioning, and aren't temporary, which indicates to us that the body, left to its own devices, probably can't balance itself out.

What the pills do then is attempt to selectively fix this balance by increasing or decreasing either the levels, the production or the response to certain neurotransmitters in certain parts of the brain. The first such medications did a pretty horrible job of it because the doctors didn't really know much of what they were doing, but lately things are going along much better, with medications that exert a much more controlled effect with less nasty side-effects, as our understanding of the brain becomes more sophisticated. However it should be said that it's still a little hit-and-miss sometimes and if anybody believes they should be on medication or that they are depressed or otherwise have moods they can't cope with, talking to a (good) doctor is probably the best course of action.

I'm aware that in some places the mentality goes 'take these pills and you'll get better' which, IMO, tends to overprescription. Things like depression are rarely independent of other life issues, so talking about the other aspects can also be valuable, if for nothing else but to give the patient a chance to be heard.
snowman1474
snowman1474
225 posts
Peasant

I don't hate the EMO I embrace them It's just your way of expressing your 'roblems' (not trying to be mean). You guys have so much stress, and criticism about you, and I feel sorry for you. I know that suicide is one of the things that you guys think about, but everyone has thought about death once in a while in their lives. I'm personally not afraid of death, I don't care when I die... young or old. But I do respect you, and don't hate you.

Hope i'm not going out of line, but I think emo chicks are well...hot. I like dark cloths and the make-up

so that's my opinion on how people 'hate' emo people.

~Snowman1474

Showing 61-75 of 182