Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

Many of you hate them...
Im an emo girl...Yes =/.
Why you hate them? (If you do)
What do you think of them?
Etc.
I really, sometimes, think about suicide, and im not joking.
But i cant say the reasons on here,though they are obvious.

• 182 Replies
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

well for me I'm actuall friends with a whole load of goths and emos but one thing I've noticed with alot of them is that they all either have mean parents, single parents, listened to negative things that people said to them all the time and took it to heart, wanted to be popular, or they just gave up. I never have thought of cutting myself or anything like that, but have seen people throw their lives away for the dumbest of reasons, and sometimes because of someone elses mistakes, point is "emo" even though it is usually labeled as suicidal its actual meaning was originally used for people who were over emotional, and has been twisted into the idea that anyone who has emotional problems are "emo".

jalex12
jalex12
195 posts
Nomad

there is a girl in my school who is always teased because she is thought to be emo. It makes me outraged how people could do that! The people that tease emos are usually emo. They need to get lives!

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

Being emo is a bad way to express your feelings, when i get happy, i smile, laugh and other stuff like that. When i get sad, i frown, i feel bad on the inside, and i express it in an acceptable way. When you get sad, and you feel the only way to express your emotion is to cut yourself or even consider suicide, you need to seek help, because your dealing with your emotions in the wrong way. Im not blaming you for it, most emos can't help it. But many therapist can.

as for groups like emos, skaters, jocks ect trying to find their individuality through these groups, i think that is TOTAL BS! You want to find your individuality by being like everybody else? oh come on, that has to be the most oxymoronic thing i heard. You know how i classify myself? I don't because i dont really fit in to anything. Thats being an individual. And dont think that that necessarily mean you wont have friends. I have plenty friends, some of them not in any classification, some in that are in some. I managed to be different yet be accepted. If being yourself means you wont be accepted, then i personally dont want to be accepted. I don't find most classifications to bother me, however, the only ones that seem to bother me would be jerk and the 'i act stupid because i think its funny, even though im not stupid' (sorry for a lack of a better word), but thats only natural.

I think people should just act themselves and not care what others think, and if your natural emo, jock, skater or whatever, then thats who you are, not what you made yourself to be accepted.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Now there's a sensible post.

I'll cut straight to the chase- labels relate to values. We try to ascribe a value to labels. But kids tend to mistreat this: they try to subscribe to the label that carries the value. But this is natural, seeing as this just so happens to be a time when people are trying to define their values.

Ultimately, if you want to be accepted as a valid person yet still be individual, you should come to know your values. Jumping into various social groups happens to be a starting point for many, but in general, most will end up growing out of this as they come to recognise themselves on their own terms.

At least, since we encourage individuality, we should be encouraging such.

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
536 posts
Peasant

Wow, well said Strop.

On a similar note to Skullzero's post on the previous page, groups are a lot of nothing. So what if your in the popular group, so what if everyone likes you, or everyone fears you. They aren't always liking you for the right reasons. When your the most popular, your really usually the person with the least friends. A lot of the time, people just act like they like them, just to fit in. Really, you should express yourself however you feel fit, but thoughts of suicide, and/or homicide, shouldn't be it.

I don't think thoughts like this should occur. Everybody can make a difference in any single persons life, in whichever way they want. I advise everyone that they should try to take advantage of their own lives, not others. No matter were you are in society, or a social status now, you can change that, and make a positive difference in peoples lives, help them, care for them, and love them, and if not love them, then love to be around them. Everyone can help people, no matter what!

And as of now, I feel like I'm starting to get into a senseless ramble, so I think that will be all for now.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

*chimes in again*

On the other hand, this doesn't mean you should not be in any particular groups. Just always reflect on how you relate to the group and how the group relates to you.

I join certain groups because my interests happened to match theirs, but some of the groups I joined were so interested in the politics of declaring who they were that it became rather unsubstantial...so I left. Another group I joined had interests that are little to do with what I hold most personally dear, but since it was relevant to another of my interests and I found them so wholly unpretentious and fun, I plan to stick around!

If you grip something too tightly, you may not realise you are holding on to nothing.

helguast
helguast
20 posts
Nomad

well emos are too moody

kielzanie
kielzanie
473 posts
Nomad

i really do not agree with emos. they should not be like this!!!! even though i respect them they should not think about the suicide or cutting!!! and personaly, they really do not want to be like this. it happens because their life was miserable or child abuse. this is why i really feel bad for them. but still i dont agree with them. they should really get into religion (even if they dont believe in it) this is the only way to save them!!!!

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@kielzanie-
How exactly is religion the only way to save them? Do you mean Christianity, because I know many Wiccan emos. Also do you see those big crosses they always wear, most emos seem to be fairly religious. Further, I think an understanding of philosophy would be much better in the long run, it gives them more freedom to choose the principles that best suit them and it does not need to include a god.

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Religion and emos. I personally think that religion is the wrong way to go if you consider the groups topic written 3 and 4 comments above me. I personally, before the wonders of my new religion or lack thereof anyway, was more depressed during the religous period of my life. Your told to walk a line that isn't staight and if you stumble just pray and the answers will come........

Is it just me or does that sound like a fat load of poo. If some kid is an emo. Lets take the stereotype ofr a minute here. You are a suburban kid who doesn't get treated very well by your parents or too good. Given everything and when you can't succeed you feal that you are entitled to it and you cry. You have emotionally not there parents who give you everything to make up for the lack of fatherly and motherly love. So you turn to suicidal thoughts, cutting, the music and so on. In my opinion the last thing you need is freaking religion. It will tell you to do this and be saved but do this and damnation. That to me is enough to send the kid right back to square one everytime you "sin".

ThexDancingxMuffin
ThexDancingxMuffin
61 posts
Nomad

Emo's are too moody? 'Emotional'? O.o

Don't worry. I've thought suicide a few times.. though I'm not one to be considered emo.. -cough- Moments where I didn't want to die, but I just didn't want to live anymore.

Emo's are the way they are. In the long run, they are just like us. So they choose to listen to different music or wear different clothes, they are no different from us.

So I say, basically, leave them alone. If they want to go into religion, let them do it. If they don't, don't pester them. If they want to be that way, let them be.

"Live and let live," --Dalai Lama

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

It's very easy to say &quoteople shouldn't think about committing suicide" but honestly, what gives!?

Ichibon wrote:

Given everything and when you can't succeed you feel that you are entitled to it and you cry.

BINGO. Emphasis is mine, because I would like to mention something I've alluded to but haven't talked about specifically. It's called 'results-oriented mindset'.

In this day and age, we are preoccupied with competition, potentials, and achievement. All these are goals and quantities that are considered to be gotten. This kind of mindset is 'results oriented' because it's concerned with whether somebody gets something or not. Our greedy ways and the recent resurgence of "winning is everything" are examples of this. So too, in fact, is saying "nobody fails at anything".

People who adopt a results-oriented mindset learn to fear failure to the extent that it affects their sense of being. Being dictated by whether one has the ability can kill your motivation as well as your self-value. But since people are so obsessed about money, grades, possessions, the size of their penis etc. (you can read the last one however you like!) society is effectively breeding a generation of insecurities.

I'd like to contrast this with the process-oriented mindset. This is the one that teaches adaptive responses and the how of living, and eventually the understanding that while we may be judged on values, that it is the process that embodies life, not the results. We experience in doing things. Instead of saying "winning is everything" or "nobody fails", we say "we can assess and gain value from all outcomes." After all, the grading system at school is designed to demonstrate strengths and weaknesses in somebody such that they are given the opportunity to address these. It's a system of information, not judgment.

So to extend Ichibon's argument about religion, offering religion in times of such crisis is not going to help because of the mindset. A result oriented mindset in religious terms would be to think in terms of conditions and blessing- if you do this you go to heaven but if you do this you go to hell. With such possibilities hanging over one's head, pressure only increases.

Should that religious instruction come with the opportunity to transcend the results-oriented mindset, however, the outcomes for that person are likely to be much more favorable. But the two don't necessarily go together.
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

STROP GEEZE That last one on the list made me feel insecure JK LOL

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

i don't like it because i've seen too many people fake it just to be 'in'

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh, sorry turret :P

If you'd rather not think about it in the literal sense you can of course think about it in a figurative sense. It's synonymous with 'bragging rights'.

Showing 46-60 of 182