Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

Many of you hate them...
Im an emo girl...Yes =/.
Why you hate them? (If you do)
What do you think of them?
Etc.
I really, sometimes, think about suicide, and im not joking.
But i cant say the reasons on here,though they are obvious.

• 182 Replies
hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

There are two kinds of 'Emo'. One is the kind that wears all black, and skinny jeans, and migh say some depressing stuff, just for the look. Oh yea, and they cut because everyone else does. I hate his kind. But the other kind, the actuall 'emotional' people, I feel quite sorry for them.

Some people might think that they are mostly the same, but that is only sometimes. There is a 'Emo' style that is popular right now.

You choose to be the first kind, but the second gives you no say in the matter. If you are the second kind, you are extremely depressed and you can't do much about it, so people deal with it in their own way. The second group will cut because they want to die. And Depression pills might work, but, strangley enough, they enlarge the chances of suicide in teens and young adults. The 'Emo' style is a way to express your depression, although now it is quite popular anyways.

I used to suffer from chronic depression, but I got over that. Mostly. But I am still a pessimist, despite my best efforts. Pessimism is also something you cannot stop alone. Your brain will automatically look on the bad side. When I'm flying, instead of thinking 'what a nice time to relax', I will think 'What if the plane crashes, OMG!'. That is why I get therapy. Real Emos (the second kind) should get therapy unless they enjoy being like that. I feel no anger or repulsion towards Emos. Instead I fell Pity and Understanding, which is what you should feel too. At least, the pity part. Understanding requiers certain 'Preperation'.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

@ hokojo

Hm, that's interesting that you've looked at it that way, because it articulates something that kids are increasingly expressing, mostly, I suspect, without realising it.

Quite often, 'emo' is associated with self-harming practices and other signs of 'mental disorder' (ranging from depression to personality disorder, anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorders, eating disorders). I would actually advise caution in doing this because all these signs of mental turbulence are not at all exclusive to the 'emo' subculture.

Let's take a look at the other confounds: all these subcultures, be it emo, goth, furry, skater, metalhead, punk and so forth, happen to have a large joining rate from the teen sector. It's the time of life where you start trying to forge an identity for yourself, and trying to actively seek your own social networks. This is not an easy task and the way those in developed countries get brought up means we tend to notice adolescent angst a lot. Furthermore chances are that many of you going through this process frequently experience feelings of isolation.

But what is also important is the 'forging an identity' part. That's why all these subcultures are caught up in the expressions of being 'cool' or being 'non-conformist' fit to bust- most people within those groups are there to try and fit in and are preoccupied with notions of identity and value.

Whatever it is, the way we've defined it now, mental 'illness' is something that should be treated with a lot more sensitivity than it is now. But because it is something that has been kept in the dark for fear of shame for so long, most people are horribly ill educated when it comes to knowing what mental 'illness' actually means and how to cope with it whether you're suffering, or somebody else is.

hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

Mental Illness should be treated with more sensitivity. I don't get how that relates to what I said, but that's not the point. The point is, there are many many kinds of mental illness. OCD, ADD, those guys like Naveed Haq who will shoot people because of their mental illness. But there are more kinds. Kinds that are not usually defined as mental illnes. That includes Emos. Some deal with it by expressing themselves, some get therapy or pills. But others will not do anything, and keep it all in their mind. Those are the ones that are more likely to commit suicide.

I know Emos are not the only self harming 'subculture' of teens, but they are the most well known, and in my opinion the most serious. Being Emo is not bad. Being Emo is who you are (if you're Emo).

Being Emo is a mental illness. I'm not talking about the Emo style. I'm talking about the Emo thoughts. Wanting to commit suicide because of depression, etc. Before people get down on me about that, I would like to say that although it's bad to be like that, don't blame it on the people. Real Emos can be extremely nice. I know some people who wanted to commit suicide or they cut or whatever. They are some of the nicest people I've met. But the Emo style and music just creeps me out. Sorry, but it's true.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Mental Illness should be treated with more sensitivity.

One of the things I meant by that is 'what does mental illness mean to the public'? This does actually relate to your post- you're implicitly asking the same question here:

But there are more kinds. Kinds that are not usually defined as mental illnes.

Also, by way of example, this is what I meant by the whole identity politics thing:

Being Emo is not bad. Being Emo is who you are (if you're Emo).

See, the issue with this is that you leave yourself vulnerable to contradiction, which can confuse people. Your next sentence:

Being Emo is a mental illness.

Appears to do just that. But this is merely semantic, as I don't actually disagree with the content of what you said. I'm just cautioning against using the same word in multiple senses as it's difficult to be entirely clear.
hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

Umm... Thanks?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Well, here's what concerns me:

We went from "People who identify as emo are more likely to be miserable/have some kind of mental issue" to "Being Emo is a mental illness." The latter is an overgeneralisation of the former, so I would call that a misappropriation.

Because to say "being Emo is a mental illness" will confuse people who talk about being Emo as an identity (the clothes, the taste in music, the social life etc.), but it also clouds the issue of mental illness and the general population by implying a false exclusivity. Best to avoid that risk altogether.

hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

Ahh, but I said being true emo, actually emotional, is a mental illness.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

And I really do insist: You're gonna stir up a big hornet's nest that you don't need to if you go around saying 'true emo'. In fact, you'll get people's backs up so much that you won't be able to get a word in edgeways about mental illness...it'll all be swallowed up on identity politics again.

Chances are that many of those 'Emos' who carry some kind of 'mental illness' also carry their 'Emo' identity like a front, so you will also offend them by introducing the rhetoric on what is 'real' Emo and what is not. Besides, there are more adequate terms out there to describe things clearly, so why use this one?

hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

Okay. I like hornets by the way. But anyways, when I say 'true emo' I'm not referring to 'Emo'. Not the lifestyle or music. I'm referring to the namesake of the Emo lifestyle, which is emotional. Actual emotional people. That's what I'm talking about. They might express themselves through the Emo lifestyle, but they are truly 'emotional'. I feel myself losing ground. Woe to the person who argues with Strop. Oh Dang.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

"I'm sad because I grew up in the suburbs with nice parents who made tons of money and I was given everything I wanted."

That's what I see from emo's. If you think about suicide, don't go complain about how terrible life is. Go get help. If you cut yourself, get help. If you're depressed all the time, get help. But going around and complaining about how terrible the world is will get you no sympathy.

Eric_Cartman
Eric_Cartman
100 posts
Nomad

i love emos, they are so hot!
unfortunatly i dont know any

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

"That's what I see from emo's. If you think about suicide, don't go complain about how terrible life is. Go get help. If you cut yourself, get help. If you're depressed all the time, get help. But going around and complaining about how terrible the world is will get you no sympathy."

That is what personally helped most.
Now i have a better look of myself and my life...
My family...:'( I want to cry , really >_<.
THANKS!

hitemup
hitemup
40 posts
Nomad

emo's are whiny, self-absorbed fruitcakes. the guys need to sack up and get laid. if u cut or think about suicide then u have a serious problem and need to talk to someone about it. labeling urself as "emo" isnt gonna change anything. cmon its time for a reality check. this is starting to get out of hand

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

@ Hojoko: Chill, I understand what you're saying, but I just wanted to make sure that the right words were used so people wouldn't get confused. I mean...we're all emotional people in that we have emotions, but not all of us are necessarily mentally ill people, yeah?

thelistman wrote:

"I'm sad because I grew up in the suburbs with nice parents who made tons of money and I was given everything I wanted."

This kinda sums it up very well. But let's really think about it for a moment- somebody is complaining, when they should have everything, right?

You know what that means? If somebody was actually happy then they wouldn't be complaining, right? So if somebody is complaining, this means they aren't happy, right?

So what does this mean? Being given everything doesn't make you happy. Duh.

I personally think that the broad problem here is that parenting as a whole is getting further from the mark. In a frantic rush to pander to the perfect child, society as a whole has forgotten the truth of the seemingly paradoxical value of conflict in development, and mollycoddled kids into a wholesale state of mental malaise. It's like nobody really knows how to 'keep it real' so they flail about trying to find it through saying words, when in fact this 'real' is something that simply eludes their entire world.

This is in fact the most compelling explanation for people who cut- they either feel inadequate and must atone, or they feel detached and affectless, and cutting is the only thing that tells them that everything is actually real. Self-harm and suicide can also happen in situations where a person is distressed due to perceiving that there is 'no other way out'.

If you haven't been in that position, consider that you don't know what the state feels like before you make any judgments about it.
LeMisery
LeMisery
3 posts
Nomad

personally, i think being "emo" is just another one of those stereotypical labels people want to have; like punk and goth. i know there`s a fashion trend but seriously, people who complain about their lives and think about suicide 24/7 isn`t the way to go. might as well do something to change it then label yourselves "emo" just to fit in.

Showing 31-45 of 182