ForumsWEPRis abortion ok?

867 278585
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

Is abortion ok? I donât think so. The babies that these people are killing is wrong, some people say that itâs not a person that itâs a bag of cells or a fetus and not really human being I have to disagree

Please debate

• 867 Replies
Bobthebest
Bobthebest
28 posts
Shepherd

What makes you think you have any right or duty to say what a pregnant woman should do? Why should you be able to take away the power of human choice and freedom?

What gives you the right to say that you can take a life?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Step one: Read previous 51 pages.
Step two: Revoke your ill-thought out, dumb, and rather ignorant claims.

Have fun.
Bobthebest
Bobthebest
28 posts
Shepherd

Step one: Read previous 51 pages.

51 pages of other peoples opinions. Don't see anybody giving out rights here.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

51 pages of other peoples opinions. Don't see anybody giving out rights here.

51 pages of the logical people here crushing the stupid and ignorant thoughts of others. Tell me, why should you be able to say what a woman should do? And be quiet about the "killing a baby" BS, because that seems to be the only reason you people fight for the wrong ideals. Why should you be able to tell a woman who most likely cannot raise a child what to do? What if she's poor? What if she was *****? What if the child grows up knowing it was unwanted? What if the child goes to an overcrowded foster home?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

If you're going to discuss with him why his stance is untenable, wouldn't it have been far better, convincing and nicer to just tell him the reasons, instead of asking him to read 51 pages a little curtly?

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

If you're going to discuss with him why his stance is untenable, wouldn't it have been far better, convincing and nicer to just tell him the reasons, instead of asking him to read 51 pages a little curtly?

I have listed the reasons. Just not with nicely minced words. I now know how partydevil feels.
Bobthebest
Bobthebest
28 posts
Shepherd

. Why should you be able to tell a woman who most likely cannot raise a child what to do? What if she's poor? What if she was *****? What if the child grows up knowing it was unwanted? What if the child goes to an overcrowded foster home?

There are plenty of loving families/couples who will adopt a baby and make them feel loved. I would know, I am friends with a couple of adopted kids.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

There are plenty of loving families/couples who will adopt a baby and make them feel loved. I would know, I am friends with a couple of adopted kids.

Sure there are.
There also aren't nearly enough. Adoption centers are often, to say the least, unpleasant and the foster care system is lacking. The entire thing is all around underfunded and over populated.

Why should a woman have to spend 9 months carrying around what is basically a parasite and then give birth to it if she doesn't want to?

What it comes down to is this.

Mother's rights.
Unborn child's rights.

The mother is a fully developed human being with social connections and emotions. She is capable of thought and feeling pain, and has the right in society to make decisions for herself.

The unborn child is, at best, a possible future human. It is not developed enough to live outside the mother and is incapable of feeling pain or thinking. Up to 7 weeks, it doesn't even have brain activity.

It seems fairly obvious to me that, at minimum, a woman should be able to choose to have an abortion, at the very least, 7 weeks after conception.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Just thought I'd throw this out there again...every time a woman is on her period, there is a "loss of potential life". Every time a man ejaculates, there is a "loss of potential life"
hellcactus321
hellcactus321
2 posts
Nomad

even if a women having her period is a "loss of potential life" also a man ejaculating, the fetus is not &quototential life" that allready is life that fetus will live even if for only a month or two it will live it will never be a &quototential life"

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

the fetus is not &quototential life" that allready is life that fetus will live even if for only a month or two it will live it will never be a &quototential life"

So what you are saying is..that fetus is able to survive on its own? And not survive like a parasite?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

even if a women having her period is a "loss of potential life" also a man ejaculating, the fetus is not &quototential life" that allready is life that fetus will live even if for only a month or two it will live it will never be a &quototential life"

Technically, the reproductive cells are also already living. What gives a fetus a higher right to live?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It's life all the way through the process. It's just the continuation of life. The potential is not life but personhood. It's a loss of potential personhood.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

I guess what it all comes down to is a comparison between what you value more. Do you value the potential personhood of the fetus more than you value the mother's unwillingness to go through months of carrying a fetus plus her unwillingness to give birth and her unwillingness to either care for the child or find someone or someplace that will care for the child?
Is it a life? Sure, technically. But in the context of what we mean by life, its personhood is only potential.
Now, I personally value the potential personhood of any fetus that is going to be if we take no action against it. However, when we're talking about abortion we also need to consider a few things. First of all, circimstances are everything. If the mother may face medical complications, for example, she should have the legal right to decide whether or not she wants to take that risk. Even if she doesn't, should she be forced to carry the child? You don't force someone to give a transplant to save someone's life even if they can and even if it is of no long term detriment to the person.
So I tend to encourage women to consider childbirth even in situations where they were dealt a bad hand. By encourage, I do not mean show them gory blown up pictures of aborted fetuses or anything to that extent. I mean holding the door open. I think the pro-life movement should focus on making childbirth easier to deal with, both emotionally, economically, and physically, rather than making it excessively more difficult to get an abortion. As far as the legality of abortion, I think it needs to remain legal in all circumstances and education on all your options both before and after sex needs to be the best it can be.

That's where my opinion falls. It has been based on me trying to take what's fair from both sides of the spectrum, but I'm not perfect and I more than welcome anyone who spots any flaws in my thinking.

SteveeXb
SteveeXb
490 posts
Templar

I agree with the creator of this thread: abortion is wrong and i may even consider it murder.

Showing 511-525 of 867