Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

One Dilly of a Pickle, ain't it?

Thread Locked

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 12:40am

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

You only think that because you're a draugr and your advanced state of decay prevents you from thinking otherwise

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 12:44am

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

3,615 posts

But hey, at least they bring you guys back so we can get some negativity, right?

Negativity is best pony.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 12:49am

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Yeh; negativity causes conflict, and what would we be without that? Inactive.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 1:24am

BoredMartian

BoredMartian

276 posts

Just remember to drop by once in a while and talk to your old friends.

Why would someone have to take time out of their schedule to do something they don't care about and isn't essential?

We can show people Armor Games is the best darn website out there!

We? How? Dilly of a pickle?

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 1:35am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,883 posts

Knight

I want Carlie, not Cormyn preferably and hypothetically. Don't want to go through such a strict Forum phase.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 2:52am

Ernie15

Ernie15

12,548 posts

Knight

Justin isn't the head of AG... Dan and John are the head guys as far as I know. (Just to keep the facts straight.)

Dan is the head of AG, John is the head of game development and Justin is the head of the community.

Why? There's so little activity in the community only two or three mods are needed. One could go it alone if necessary. The community is tiny. More mods isn't going to make life better.

If you haven't noticed, if you get two or three mods posting in the same thread, that thread is going to blow up with activity. Newish users especially want to get in on the "action" of posting in the presence of mods. They probably see it as some sort of mortals-on-Mount-Olympus thing.

This is what I've seen from experience.

Would I want AG to be like 2009 again? Sure. Those were the times I was still learning who did what, and the ways of the site. There was plenty of crap, but there was plenty of fun, too.

Would you rather keep the site the way it is now, or have it be more like it was back in 2009? And for the love of all things sacred, do not answer with a "you can't make the site the way it was back in 2009" because that's not what I'm asking.

If you want to give up on the community, then give up. But complaining about other people voicing their opinions on how to better it again doesn't help anybody.

Cenere's is the only opinion I'd suggest anyone even come remotely close to valuing in this matter.

Arrogance isn't going to help anyone or anything either.

Like him or not, when cormyn was in power, things got done. Not only did things progress like never before, but the community was made well aware of every update and any member could approach him for any problem and he'd get around to it just like that. He involved himself with the community and let everyone know he was there.

You can choose to remember him as some fascist, power-hungry dictator. I choose to remember him as the most dedicated community leader we've ever had and perhaps will ever have.

Why would someone have to take time out of their schedule to do something they don't care about and isn't essential?

Would you like it if someone you talked to almost every day suddenly moved hundreds of miles away and never attempted to contact you again and you had no way of contacting them?

Yeh; negativity causes conflict, and what would we be without that? Inactive.

On the internet, conflicts last as long as both parties are willing to argue, even if neither of them know what they're talking about. Hence the WEPR. I've never once seen someone in a forum say "Oh, you're right and I'm wrong. Silly me."

I want Carlie, not Cormyn preferably and hypothetically.

Carlie was as friendly and approachable as they come, but she also had a tendency to disappear for indefinite and sometimes inordinate periods of time without letting the community know. She was dedicated, but not on the same level cormyn was.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 8:01am

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

3,615 posts

He involved himself with the community and let everyone know he was there.

How could someone miss that ban message when they try to log in?

Little infraction? b&. Disagree with cormyn? b&.

Stalin got **** done. He also killed twenty million people.

because that's not what I'm asking.

You were asking something? I wasn't aware.

If you want to give up on the community, then give up. But complaining about other people voicing their opinions on how to better it again doesn't help anybody.

I'm complaining about the repetitive nature of the thread. I've seen it all before, and I'll probably see it again. The intention is good, but it's pointless and irrelevant. Stating that we're lacking in activity is like saying that people die when they're killed. It's obvious. While I would support more activity, the main divisive point of the thread is the issue of mein fuhrer cormyn.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 8:16am

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

Like him or not, when cormyn was in power, things got done.

No, they didn't. What did he achieve? What "progress" did he make? The "problems" he worked to solve didn't exist until he decided they needed to be solved. He did achieve some good things and ban some bad users, but he was overzealous to say the least.

And Orion Alt and I aren't being negative. Well, we are, but not pointlessly so. We all agree that AG sucks and should be better. We apparently all don't agree on how it should be better.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 8:21am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

However people might feel about Ian/Cormyn and what he did as an admin and as a face for the staff, he was probably the best thing that could have happened since Carlie got busy and left. Simply because he bothered to listen to mods, users and he actually communicated with the community.
His - reign was stricter, but also better controlled, at least from a mod point of view.
I personally liked him a lot, since he actually did bother with us, he bothered with small talks and put in as many thoughts on topics as he could, so we could find a proper solution. Not to mention he was there, just a post away, and not twenty emails and an angry thread away like the rest of the staff seems to be.

So, even if he was trigger happy to some, that he might not have an agreeable solution or he might not be as smooth with the community as an of the mods or something... He still actually gave off the feeling that someone cared.
The current staff... The current staff will write four word posts, reply to one single thread and apparently ignore anything else and, I assume, does not value their moderators, present, former or future.
Or they just hate me specifically, which would not be news, but seems like an overly ambitious thought.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 8:41am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

So, even if he was trigger happy to some

I think we've been talking around this, but the transition to "strict AG" (in the name of standardisation) under Cormyn's watch alienated the veterans the most, hence the comments you see from Orion, Xzeno, Nicho and in his own weird way, Alt. That's because we knew the days when this place was like a small town, everybody knew each other, the local council was friends with the peasants and we all got away with quite a bit more as a result. Then suddenly everybody was equal. That's how Klaus was banned. That's also when Lige etc. etc. started spawning like a dozen alt accounts just to stick it to the man. But all that really did was make our (the moderators') lives harder.

People tend to forget that in this social structure, moderators may be cops but they're also middle management: there are executive decisions and actions well beyond our capacity. And that's why right now, I don't mind the inactivity. It means less chance of people calling upon us to do a job that's not in our job description as unpaid volunteers not working under contract with Armor Games.