ForumsThe TavernIs the world going to end in Dec,21,2012?

51 8069
ballsackcaptain
ballsackcaptain
36 posts
Nomad

Is the world going to end in Dec,21,2012?What do you think.

• 51 Replies
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Didn't they find a giant chunk of the Mayan calender that goes up to 3000+ something. Either they did...or some high-pitched elf lied to me...

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

If I recall, this thread should be in the WEPR, and there are already threads dedicated to this.
Double Violation.

Do not backseat mod. Instead, if you think this thread violates the rules, you need to report it to a moderator with what you think the violation is.

And I'll make sure to troll the people that said it would end on 2012 XD.

Do it correctly and good stuff will happen. Do it incorrectly and you will get banned.

It's just as stupid to say the world WONT end in 2012, as it is to say the world WILL end.

Wrong. The world is much less likely to end in 2012 than not, so you are actually saying yes to the end of the world in an unsure way.

Didn't they find a giant chunk of the Mayan calender that goes up to 3000+ something. Either they did...or some high-pitched elf lied to me...

It's irrelevant that there is another part of the calendar since most people think it ends in 2012, even if it doesn't.
miniphu
miniphu
72 posts
Nomad

I don't think the world will end just because some (extinct) Mayans "only" made a calendar for the next 500 (then). I do think that a lot of people will be born around August/September of 2013.

Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

Wrong. The world is much less likely to end in 2012 than not, so you are actually saying yes to the end of the world in an unsure way.

Oh sorry, did I direct my opinion at you? No. But still, just like that. "Wrong". First of all, how can you say someones opinion is simply wrong? And second of all, you obviously didn't get my point -.- Do you KNOW that the world wont end in 2012? Why tell me, have you made sure that there is no giant invisible dinosaur monster?

For the record, I believe in the end of the world just as little as you do, I'M JUST SAYING, you can't be 100% sure that it wont end. Do you have any idea what I'm trying to say here?
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

thanks patrick.

if a good portion of people think it is, then the market for gold, silver, houses, you name it, will crash because people will be selling everything so they can enjoy the last days.

For the record, I believe in the end of the world just as little as you do, I'M JUST SAYING, you can't be 100% sure that it wont end. Do you have any idea what I'm trying to say here?

you have a point, for all we know the world might end tomorrow.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Of course we don't know whether there is a giant invisible dinosaur or not, but by our current state of knowledge we can safely say that there isn't, unless everything we know is wrong. And about the mayan thing, the end of the world hype began thanks to a misinterpretation, since not even the mayans said anything about an end of the world, why should the risk be higher-than-average only because someone made a movie about it?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

why should the risk be higher-than-average only because someone made a movie about it?

It shouldn't. A movie cannot increase the chance that the world will end. As for the movie being the only cause of the perceived higher risk, I do not agree with that. Instead, I think the movie you are referring to was created because people thought there was an above average chance of the world ending.

And about the mayan thing, the end of the world hype began thanks to a misinterpretation, since not even the mayans said anything about an end of the world

Correct, and I don't see why someone would misinterpret the end of a calendar and do so in a way that scares the world.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Watch some ancient Mayan descendant go on international television on the eve of 12/21/12 and say, "Gotcha!"

If this ever were to happen I'm sure he'd be shot. Repeatedly.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

well like it was mentioned earlier there have been tons of doomsday claims. no one can know when the world ends. but if you're smart like me you can put an ad in the newspaper: "for $100 I will stop the Apocalypse on December 21, 2012. Guaranteed or triple your money back." I probably shouldn't share my get rich quick schemes with everyone but oh well.

bigmac258
bigmac258
103 posts
Nomad

omg how many 2012 threads are there? any way its just the end of the mayan calendar jeez

superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

let me try to explain this to you as simple as possible
ok so everyone says that cuz both the mayan and chinesse calanders end on that day
well i was watching an episode of ancient aliens and the were talking about how this like chinsee style building was in the middle of mexico in a what used to be a mayan camp or place or whatever you call it you get the point
anyways that would mean that they could of had some way of communication
so they would of figured out what they day would be together
so now we are back to tha=e same thing samiel said

ballsackcaptain
ballsackcaptain
36 posts
Nomad

The world is going to end.We are all doomed.

miniphu
miniphu
72 posts
Nomad

Why tell me, have you made sure that there is no giant invisible dinosaur monster?

It's true that we can't know definitively that something does not exist or will not happen. After all, it only takes one counterexample to overturn such a claim, and you have all of eternity to wait. But such arguments are often unreasonable.

On an unrelated note, the end of the world (should it come to pass) will certainly surprise a lot of people. Pessimists have everything to gain from being wrong, so maybe slightly hedging your bets isn't a bad idea.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

@knight_34 I agree.

also, in 1000 A.D. they thought the world would end. I bet they felt like total idiots in 1001, so why should it be different now?

Showing 16-30 of 51