ForumsWEPRChic-fil-A Controversy

97 26946
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Chic-fil-A controversy that has happened over the past month or so about the COO of the restaurant not supporting gay marriage.

If you haven't, here's the story. Dan Cathy, of Chick-fil-a said:

âWe are very much supportive of the family â" the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

They also came to light of donations to anti-gay political organizations, including the Family Research Council.

This sparked huge controversy nationwide, many protests, and gay rights supporters also staged a same-sex "kiss day" at stores nationwide on August 4, among other things.

Now I must ask, what are your thoughts on this whole situation?

• 97 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

go chick-fil-A!!!!

~manly man

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Yep, chick fil-a has every right to say what they believe in, freedom of speech

That's been said, and I have no problem with them saying that. As long as they don't have a problem with me not eating at their restaurant until they decide to support gay rights.
NASCAR09
NASCAR09
7 posts
Nomad

All that Chic Fil-a said was that they dont believe in gay marriage along with many other people they never said that they wouldn't serve them.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yep, chick fil-a has every right to say what they believe in, freedom of speech

It's not their speech that's the issue, it's their actions. It doesn't matter what the CEO said, it's the fact he was using the money made from the company to fund groups attempting to keep certain people from having equal rights. So in response those who don't wish to see that happen have boycotted them so that their money won't go towards that funding.

go chick-fil-A!!!!

What are you cheering for? The donated $5 million to hate groups. Would you like to cheer for Uganda for coming up with a bill that would have homosexuals put to death next?
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

It's not their speech that's the issue, it's their actions. It doesn't matter what the CEO said, it's the fact he was using the money made from the company to fund groups attempting to keep certain people from having equal rights. So in response those who don't wish to see that happen have boycotted them so that their money won't go towards that funding.
Wow, just wow, I never expected to hear something like that from you.

Anyway, it does not matter what the CEO does with the profits because it is HIS company, even if it is to anti-gay organizations it is still his right.

go chick-fil-A!!!!
I totally agree with you, I am glad that someone is standing up for their beliefs and not just saying, "I give up, you all win, we will support something against our religion."

An excerpt from the wiki article about it.

On August 8, Rasmussen Reports published the results of a telephone survey indicating that 61 percent of likely voters held a favorable view of Chick-fil-A, while 13 percent indicated they would participate in a boycott.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Wow, just wow, I never expected to hear something like that from you.

What's so surprising? I said pretty much the exact same thing in my first post in this thread.

Anyway, it does not matter what the CEO does with the profits because it is HIS company, even if it is to anti-gay organizations it is still his right.

Yes they do have that right to use the money they have made in such a way. Just as those who find out how the money is being used have the right not to provide the CEO with more profit to use for such funding.

I totally agree with you, I am glad that someone is standing up for their beliefs and not just saying, "I give up, you all win, we will support something against our religion."

Go KKK!!!!

You're saying it's good just because it's religiously drive is a complete load. They are standing up for bigotry and the suppression of others. Just because the methods they are using are within their rights and it's what they believe doesn't mean they should be commended for it.

On August 8, Rasmussen Reports published the results of a telephone survey indicating that 61 percent of likely voters held a favorable view of Chick-fil-A, while 13 percent indicated they would participate in a boycott.

I'm not surprised. I have to wonder how many of those 61% would still support it if they actually understood the issue. As we saw in the earlier posts and some of the later posts from those not paying attention here it seemed many thought it was just because the CEO spouted anti-gay views. I would suspect if these 61% were actually informed this number would drop.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

You're saying it's good just because it's religiously drive is a complete load. They are standing up for bigotry and the suppression of others. Just because the methods they are using are within their rights and it's what they believe doesn't mean they should be commended for it.
No, I am saying it is good that he stood up for what he believed and didn't just fold. And the KKK was a racist group formed by southerners after the civil war, they are nothing like chick-fil-a.
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I'm not surprised. I have to wonder how many of those 61% would still support it if they actually understood the issue. As we saw in the earlier posts and some of the later posts from those not paying attention here it seemed many thought it was just because the CEO spouted anti-gay views. I would suspect if these 61% were actually informed this number would drop.

The jist of it is, people are so outrageously sensitive. Like people on this thread have said before, it IS a private business and the COO if the company can do whatever he wishes with his money. It just somehow managed to go viral and everyone's suddenly pissed off about it.

I get that it's a delicate subject and has always been a controversial one, but whether it be the Mayors from both Chicago and Boston attempting to ban Chic-fil-A in such locations or several students from numerous universities trying to ban the restaurant in their respective locations, it has gotten WAY out of hand.

Denying a private business permits because of such speech by its owner is a blatant First Amendment violation. As far as the donations go, it is HIS money. And he is using it LEGALLY based on what he believes. And he believes in "the biblical definition of the family unit."
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

No, I am saying it is good that he stood up for what he believed and didn't just fold. And the KKK was a racist group formed by southerners after the civil war, they are nothing like chick-fil-a.

The KKK would be more like the groups the Chick-Fil-A CEO is funding. Though that doesn't make them any better. The principles behind the motives of the CEO, the people he funds and the KKK are the same. That's what is being commended here.

Those speaking out against the CEO are also standing up for what they believe and are being belittled for it. While this bigot is being cheered on.

The jist of it is, people are so outrageously sensitive. Like people on this thread have said before, it IS a private business and the COO if the company can do whatever he wishes with his money. It just somehow managed to go viral and everyone's suddenly pissed off about it.

How would you feel if you found out that a CEO of a company had donated $5,000,000 to groups dedicated to suppressing your rights and having you get treated as second class citizens or worse? I don't know about you but I would be pretty **** pissed off.

I get that it's a delicate subject and has always been a controversial one, but whether it be the Mayors from both Chicago and Boston attempting to ban Chic-fil-A in such locations or several students from numerous universities trying to ban the restaurant in their respective locations, it has gotten WAY out of hand.

Denying a private business permits because of such speech by its owner is a blatant First Amendment violation.

I agree that's the wrong way to handle it. They should be allowed to continue to open stores.

As far as the donations go, it is HIS money. And he is using it LEGALLY based on what he believes. And he believes in "the biblical definition of the family unit."

As stated before. "Yes they do have that right to use the money they have made in such a way. Just as those who find out how the money is being used have the right not to provide the CEO with more profit to use for such funding."
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Is it an anti-gay group that he supports? If yes, this is not right. Yes, it is his right to tell his opinion, but he still has to provide services for everyone. Yes, it is his right to spend his money as he wants, but does that also mean he could spend it on drug cartels without being responsible of anything?

You know, if the group that is being funded would be a group that uses their money to support the marriages they think are correct, and only that, there really would be no reason to criticize anything. If however, the group that is being funded actively makes campaign against homosexual couples and marriage, this is not ok anymore since you're enforcing your beliefs on other people, just because you think your belief is right. You are depriving them of rights every human should have, just because of your personal beliefs. This certainly wouldn't be ok. And supporting that would be just as questionable.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The Secret Recipe for Funding Hate Groups: 5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A
Campus Pride made this clear last week in releasing "5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A."

1. Chick-fil-A profits fund documented hate groups that aggressively work against LGBT people, advocating for their criminalization, psychological abuse or death.

2. Chick-fil-A profits support the radical-right-wing group Eagle Forum, which supports LGBT people being considered criminals.

3. Chick-fil-A profits support Exodus International, which claims to âcure homosexualityâ through psychological coercion of LGBT people. It says LGBT people are âperverse.â

4. Chick-fil-A profits support Focus on the Family (FOF) and its off-shoot group, Family Research Council (FRC), which has been designated as a hate group by Southern Poverty Law Center. FOF aggressively defames LGBT people as a threat to children and FRC spent $25,000 to stop the US Congress from condemning Ugandaâs âKill the Gaysâ policy that would execute all gay people.

5. Chick-fil-A profits come from YOU. When you choose Chick-fil-A, you help fund hate groups.

This is what the CEO confirmed to supporting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/warren-j-blumenfeld/chick-fil-a-ceo-makes-no-bones-about-biblical-marriage_b_1720074.html
LordRevan14
LordRevan14
21 posts
Nomad

Chic-Fil-A donates more money to organizations such as the Winshape Foundation (which Truett Cathy founded and Chic-Fil-A essentially runs), which runs orphanages all over the country, holds summer camp for kids, and give millions of dollars in scholarship money.

I am not all saying this justifies donating to any of those other groups. As a Christian myself, holding those same basic beliefs as Dan Cathy, I cannot imagine donating money to such things. It makes much more sense even from a christian standpoint (to me at least) to give that money to groups trying to end hunger, and other such things.

What I am essentially saying with this post, is that when you boycott Chic-Fil-A to take money away from Anti-Gay groups, you are taking away more money from groups such as The Winshape Foundation.

Whether or not this justifies you spending your money at Chic-Fil-A depends on your own personal view.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

lol i wonder what would happen if that same group would donate so much money to help gay rights. not really... just like the oreo cookies, many annoyed christians would start showing their voices no?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What I am essentially saying with this post, is that when you boycott Chic-Fil-A to take money away from Anti-Gay groups, you are taking away more money from groups such as The Winshape Foundation.

Easy fix, spend your money at a company that also donates to these charities but doesn't support the negative ones or cut the middle man out and donate your money directly.
DionRainsmith
DionRainsmith
13 posts
Nomad

I'm surprised that Chick-fil-A even gets enough funds in the first place. I've eaten there once, and I never will ever again. That stuff is greasier than McDonald's in a ghetto. You could drench a bath towel in the grease dripping off their chicken.

But then I remembered this was America, country of obesity and greed.

I win either way. Either Chick-fil-A crashes to the ground and dies off for being bigots, or all the blind-faith Christians obsessively eating there to support the hate groups will grow too fat to bible-thump on the streets anymore and maybe even have heart attacks.

Showing 16-30 of 97