ForumsWEPRChic-fil-A Controversy

97 26955
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Chic-fil-A controversy that has happened over the past month or so about the COO of the restaurant not supporting gay marriage.

If you haven't, here's the story. Dan Cathy, of Chick-fil-a said:

âWe are very much supportive of the family â" the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

They also came to light of donations to anti-gay political organizations, including the Family Research Council.

This sparked huge controversy nationwide, many protests, and gay rights supporters also staged a same-sex "kiss day" at stores nationwide on August 4, among other things.

Now I must ask, what are your thoughts on this whole situation?

• 97 Replies
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I HAS QUESTION!!!!!!!!!

I tried to read it all, but the thread got repetitive and my brain stopped paying attention. For how long has this information about who and what they've been funding been known? I mean... were these skeletons in their closet only recently discovered or has their presence been known of for a while now?

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Personally I think the whole thing has escalated to a point where it is just inane. I think it goes back to the smallest party is the loudest because they are afraid of not having their opinions voiced and taken into account. I think it doesn't help either that the media is magnifying everything to make it seem worse.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Personally I think the whole thing has escalated to a point where it is just inane.
True that is, people overreact they do.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

For how long has this information about who and what they've been funding been known?

I'm not sure how long exactly. I was made aware of the donation practices about a year ago myself. I would imagine it's been at least semi known for a while. What changed is the CEO has come out and confirmed publicly that these allegations are true.

True that is, people overreact they do.

Again I must ask, how would you react to a corporation actively donating money to people trying to suppress your rights and possibly even make it illegal to be who you are? What sort of response would not be considered overreacting?
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Again I must ask, how would you react to a corporation actively donating money to people trying to suppress your rights and possibly even make it illegal to be who you are? What sort of response would not be considered overreacting?
Health-care bill forcing people to provide contraceptives. Against religious principles it is. My reaction, "doesn't matter, will soon go away anyway." Overreacting is calling them evil and saying they want your destruction.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Health-care bill forcing people to provide contraceptives. Against religious principles it is.

This has nothing to do with that bill. But since you want to go there The hospital may be Christian run but the service is secular. As such should abide by such guidelines.

Overreacting is calling them evil and saying they want your destruction.

Some of the stuff this money is helping to support IS calling for their destruction.

But anyway you didn't answer my question.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I can't remember if i commented on this or not. I don't think so.
Spot the lazy girl.

I understand why people don't think what Chic-fil-A have done is necessarily wrong. I mean, true, they gave money to organizations who are anti-gay, but have in no way directly been overly homophobic.

Do i agree with them in any way? Of course not.

I'm not in America, so we thankfully don't have this franchise. I think it's disgusting to be so openly against a mass of your customers and expect them to still continue spending money on you.

I read a letter addressed to Chic-fil-As boss from the mayor of MA stating the franchise should not be allowed to open in Boston due to MAs tolerance and support for same sex couples and rights. This made me happy.

Sorry if i've repeated pretty much what everyone else has said - didn't even scan.

Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

Jesus ppl focused on evrthing it shouldn't be on I'm tired of ppl look at sht that don't really help the rest of the country and advnce us for a better living thats why you ignore it gay mairrage will it help education will our econmy inflation go down hell no

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Jblaze, maybe i misunderstand..
Are you saying you're anti-gap marriage because it won't change anything..
Or pro-gay marriage because it won't change anything..
Or that you don't care.. because it won't change anything, ha.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I read a letter addressed to Chic-fil-As boss from the mayor of MA stating the franchise should not be allowed to open in Boston due to MAs tolerance and support for same sex couples and rights. This made me happy.

This part I do disagree with. They should still be allowed to open stores.

Jesus ppl focused on evrthing it shouldn't be on I'm tired of ppl look at sht that don't really help the rest of the country and advnce us for a better living thats why you ignore it gay mairrage will it help education will our econmy inflation go down hell no

There is money to be made in people getting married, so it can be of economic benefit.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

This part I do disagree with. They should still be allowed to open stores.

I agree to an extent. I think it'd obviously anger a lot of people in MA, and the mayors letter was pretty funny, if it was real. For economic benefit, expansion, and the homophobes then it's a good idea to open shop - but they run the risk of being targeted by vandalism etc in Boston.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Thought i'd post the letter actually, since it's being talked about.

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/501020beecad04bb3b000005/chick-fil-a-letter.gif

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I agree to an extent. I think it'd obviously anger a lot of people in MA, and the mayors letter was pretty funny, if it was real. For economic benefit, expansion, and the homophobes then it's a good idea to open shop - but they run the risk of being targeted by vandalism etc in Boston.

The government shouldn't try to stop them for their views or for who they support. That's up to the people to not eat there and drive them out of business in those areas if there is such a high degree of pro-gay people there. It's also up to other companies to decide if they want to continue to associate with Chick-Fil-A.

Being signed as a letter in an official capacity, even if was meant as some sort of warning was out of line.
I don't particularly like having to stand up for Chick-Fil-A but this sort of behavior if allowed can far to easily translate over to suppressing things that shouldn't be suppressed.
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

Jblaze, maybe i misunderstand..
Are you saying you're anti-gap marriage because it won't change anything..
Or pro-gay marriage because it won't change anything..
Or that you don't care.. because it won't change anything, ha.

This made me laugh lol.

Everyone that initially agreed with me has now seemed to vanish from the debate ha. I'd continue further but I feel like I'm getting rather repetitive.

But thank you Mage for being logical and realizing attempting to ban a restaurant for such speech is out of line.

The government shouldn't try to stop them for their views or for who they support. That's up to the people to not eat there and drive them out of business in those areas if there is such a high degree of pro-gay people there. It's also up to other companies to decide if they want to continue to associate with Chick-Fil-A.

There are probably the same amount, if not more supporters of Chic-Fil-A's antics rather than people against it, so I believe driving them out of business simply wouldn't happen.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I think it was a publicity stunt to bring more customers.
Okay then let's boycott Taco Bell if you're anti Mexican! xD

Showing 31-45 of 97