ForumsWEPRChic-fil-A Controversy

97 26953
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Chic-fil-A controversy that has happened over the past month or so about the COO of the restaurant not supporting gay marriage.

If you haven't, here's the story. Dan Cathy, of Chick-fil-a said:

âWe are very much supportive of the family â" the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

They also came to light of donations to anti-gay political organizations, including the Family Research Council.

This sparked huge controversy nationwide, many protests, and gay rights supporters also staged a same-sex "kiss day" at stores nationwide on August 4, among other things.

Now I must ask, what are your thoughts on this whole situation?

• 97 Replies
Uysername
Uysername
72 posts
Nomad

As an atheist and as a bisexual, I support Chic-Fil-A on the grounds of the food there being pretty good.

For me, that's all that matters. Take it as you may.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Im anti abortion where should I eat.I am just upset that we turned those delicios chic-fil-a sandwiches into a political debate.IT IS FOOD PEOPLE! DELICOUS FRIED FOOD!my mother couldnt even get a chic-fil-a sandwich because they were sold out its pathetic no boycotts or major crowds just go eat literaly go eat anywhere it doesnt matter.You know what I dont like redheads so im not gonna eat at wendy's so if you dont like redheads then boycott wendy's now all you redheads who find this offensive go eat at wendy's.By the way nothing against redheads just making a point

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Im anti abortion where should I eat.I am just upset that we turned those delicios chic-fil-a sandwiches into a political debate.IT IS FOOD PEOPLE! DELICOUS FRIED FOOD!my mother couldnt even get a chic-fil-a sandwich because they were sold out its pathetic no boycotts or major crowds just go eat literaly go eat anywhere it doesnt matter.You know what I dont like redheads so im not gonna eat at wendy's so if you dont like redheads then boycott wendy's now all you redheads who find this offensive go eat at wendy's.By the way nothing against redheads just making a point

have you seen the other side of this? how so many people reacted to the oreo cookie that was rainbow coloured. each side has its extremes. but do notice how the oroe cookies SUPPORT while the chick fil a did it to HURT.
Uysername
Uysername
72 posts
Nomad

Not really. Chic-fil-A supports the idea of traditional marriage. Nothing wrong with that.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

Taken from dictionary.com. Personally, i couldn't care less about homo's, but marriage is husband and WIFE, not husband and husband.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Not really. Chic-fil-A supports the idea of traditional marriage. Nothing wrong with that.

They can support traditional marriage all they want without donating anti-gay causes. That's acceptable.

Taken from dictionary.com. Personally, i couldn't care less about homo's, but marriage is husband and WIFE, not husband and husband.

I beg you to join us here.
Uysername
Uysername
72 posts
Nomad

So are you going to go against someone because of where he donates money? Or prohibit donation?

That's fascism.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

So are you going to go against someone because of where he donates money? Or prohibit donation?

That's fascism.

Not in the slightest. I've stated my opinion as not agreeing with the controversy. I'm not going against anyone as chic-fil-a isn't in my country. I'm also not prohibiting where they donate, just saying i don't agree with it.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

wouldnt you go against mcdonalnds if it donated its money to an oganziation that kills puppies? youd go against someone who does something that you disagree on.

also, ill mention the oreo cookies again. have you seen how many people went berserk simply because they stated they support homosexuals? if you pay money for something and you realise that that money goes to things you dont like you will probably waste it somewhere else
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

wouldnt you go against mcdonalnds if it donated its money to an oganziation that kills puppies? youd go against someone who does something that you disagree on.

also, ill mention the oreo cookies again. have you seen how many people went berserk simply because they stated they support homosexuals? if you pay money for something and you realise that that money goes to things you dont like you will probably waste it somewhere else

Same thing with Ellen and the JCPenney controversy.
Uysername
Uysername
72 posts
Nomad

No, I wouldn't. I would still go there and eat big macs, because I like big macs, and I won't care how they use the money I give them. It's not my responsibility.

They shouldn't have. And don't act like this and others are as harmless as "stating your opinion". Boycotts hurt companies in a very objective, profit-wise way. Which personally I don't think they deserve.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Thought i'd post the letter actually, since it's being talked about.

In response to the letter, I feel it may or may not be an issue. The mayor, like anyone else, is allowed his own freedom of expression. If he merely asks Chic-fil-A not to establish a restaurant in Boston, then that's his right. However, he must NOT use ANY political power to prevent the restaurant from opening. He should ONLY be allowed to express his opinion.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

It's not my responsibility.

only because you decide it not to be yours. in that case lets change something. what if that company uses its money to hurt YOU in a way. doesnt matter how but they want to take away right from you. would you still give them your money?

if no, then i just showed my point.

if yes, i really have nothing more to say.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I beg you to join us here.

Are you joking, or are you serious. Because my comment didn't really have anything to do with right or wrong, It had to do with whether or not a union of homosexuals is fit to be called a marriage.

However, he must NOT use ANY political power to prevent the restaurant from opening
Not likely to happen, people with power like to abuse that power, just look at what a congressman makes.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

As an atheist and as a bisexual, I support Chic-Fil-A on the grounds of the food there being pretty good.

For me, that's all that matters. Take it as you may.

So tasty chicken is more important than not helping to take peoples rights away? (including your own if you so desire)

Thought you guys might like to see the video that first alerted me to this action.
Pseudo-tolerance, or "Fast food vs. equality"

You know what I dont like redheads so im not gonna eat at wendy's so if you dont like redheads then boycott wendy's now all you redheads who find this offensive go eat at wendy's.

So you're comparing a personal dislike to the actions that can help to impede human rights?

In response to the letter, I feel it may or may not be an issue. The mayor, like anyone else, is allowed his own freedom of expression. If he merely asks Chic-fil-A not to establish a restaurant in Boston, then that's his right. However, he must NOT use ANY political power to prevent the restaurant from opening. He should ONLY be allowed to express his opinion.

I do agree if he had taken off the mayors sash and approached the company with this statement it would be a different matter. But seeing as the letter sent has the City of Bosons seal on it he was going to Chick-Fil-A as the mayor and not just as Mr.Menino So he was using he political power here to voice his position. Which I do have to disagree with.
Showing 46-60 of 97