ForumsWEPR(Answered) Atheism is [not]a religion

21 11560
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

Technically, by definition, Atheism is a religion.
I feel like many atheists don't even realize that they are very similar to people who belong to another religion. They are both just belief systems.

• 21 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Blargh. No it is not.

Religion is, by your own linked definition, "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Now, what is atheism? Not having a belief in a god. That is it. There is NO more meaning to it than that. It makes no claims. It doesn't propose a purpose. It doesn't require rituals, it does not propose a moral code, and it is no more a group than "male" "female" "human" "child" "adult" than anything else.

/end thread.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Well put, Kasic. It's absolutely infuriating that people try to argue this point. Although the question of what is a religion is an interesting question.
But this brings up a point - is classifying atheism as a religion (along these very loose terms) any sort of argument against atheism itself? It's not as if atheists don't believe that religion exists - that would be idiotic! So I'm not really even sure what arguments like this are trying to prove. It seems as though the proponent of this argument is trying to undermine atheism in some way, but in so doing only demonstrates his or her incompetence about the very argument they're presenting.
Yet another example of when atheists seem to have a much better grip on logic and reasoning in general than theists.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Break out the champagne and cheer for logic.....

Religion entails belief in a constructed system. Atheism is just a void. That's about it.

SecondMan2012
SecondMan2012
23 posts
Nomad

We should change this thread to Athiesm Vs. Nihilism. Those two are virtually the same thing. And well we're talking about the proclivities of athiesm we could address why more people are now self-identifying as Gnostic and not athiests. Interesting trend there two. But if y'all aren't done with the subject matter of this thread then don't let me impose.

SecondMan2012
SecondMan2012
23 posts
Nomad

We should change the thread theme to Atheism vs. Nihilism. Those two are vitually the same. I think it would make for a bountiful debate. But if y'all weren't done here then don't let me impose.

SecondMan2012
SecondMan2012
23 posts
Nomad

Sorry for two there, my computer is laggey.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

No nihilism doesn't equate to atheism. I find it quite the insult actually, if people claim I have no meaning to life without God.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

nihilism is kinda similar to atheism, but the only similarity is that neither believe in god. afterwards, atheism believes in finding their own meaning to life, while nihilism straightforward says "you have nothing to live for. what will you do now?". atheists can still be religious (because it simply means don't believe in god) while nihilists call all religion as pointless, and foolish. those are the major differences between the two.

-Blade

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Nihilism and atheism aren't the same, but I get the feeling that it's exactly why atheism is considered so badly by many religious people; the only thing atheists lack belief of is a deity, but a deity is exactly what gives religious people sense to their lives. So for theists, an atheist is a sort of nihilist, but only for a theist. Objectively seen they're different.

Why more people are self-identiyfing as gnostic instead of atheists? It doesn't work like that. Gnostic and agnostic is only a qualitaive term that is additive to whether you're atheist or theist:
http://usureason.com/wp-content/uploads/nb2mO.jpg

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Atheism is not a religion.

THEISM is not a religion.

Neither one of these is a religion.

Theism describes people who follow a religion, but it is not, in itself, a religion.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Theism describes people who follow a religion, but it is not, in itself, a religion.

You can be theistic and not be religious. Religion is just a widespread belief in specific things. I was a theist from ages probably 5-10, the latter portion simply believing that no one was right because nothing fit, but not having reached the point where I was looking past what I was being told to see the inherent problems such a being would present.
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

I think it depends; you could be a passive atheist that just lives life (in which case it's not religion) or you could be an atheist who is strongly opposed to religion (which can be a personal philosophy, which religion pretty much is...one's personal views).

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I think it depends; you could be a passive atheist that just lives life (in which case it's not religion) or you could be an atheist who is strongly opposed to religion (which can be a personal philosophy, which religion pretty much is...one's personal views).

Being for or against religions is not a necessary characteristic of being atheist. There are religions without deities, and as such, could be called atheist; but they're religious.

A personal phylosophy is not a religion either. A religion is an institutionalized group of people sharing a set of belief. Also it does not make sense to call those who are against religions, religious. They'd be going against themselves.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

But this brings up a point - is classifying atheism as a religion (along these very loose terms) any sort of argument against atheism itself?

What HahiHa said here might be the answer to your question.
Also it does not make sense to call those who are against religions, religious. They'd be going against themselves.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

There's one little difference.

Religion is defined as the belief in and worship of an extra-transient power.

And Atheism is...precisely. Not. That.

Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position; it's contradictory to pin them together.

Showing 1-15 of 21