ForumsThe TavernAnybody notice a rise in bad language these day's?

16 3104
redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

So these day's it kind of seems that a lot of people swear. I mean some people use like one in every sentence. It seems that younger people are too. I was walking by a few kids who couldn't have been older than 11 and they were swearing. Its not like I don't swear but i only do it when I am mad or sometimes when I like walk into a wall. ( Don't ask me how...) I don't know if its just me or what. Anybody else have thoughts? Don't know if this has been covered in another thread though.

• 16 Replies
Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

I swear all the time, but I always have even when I was a kid. My mouth has always been naturally foul, but since I've grown older I've had to calm it down to a silent roar so I won't get fired.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I mean some people use like one in every sentence.

I know, it is so disrupting. I hate people who curse ALL the time. It annoys me that this runs in most teens and preteens. I curse myself but I curse "Responsibly" if possible. I like to speak as if I do not have the IQ of a rock. But the main issue I think in teens and preteens cursing is a maturity level. But this runs in adults to so it isn't like this is a age specific case... I hope it stops, but it will take a massive awakening many have to achieve to realize how stupid people can act..
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Each generation wants to progress faster than its predecessor. It's always been this way, not just for flowery language, but for just about everything.

It will probably pass in a few more years, when all this swearing nonsense is seen as childish. The day will come, even if it doesn't come soon, when people will lose interest in using sailor talk in everyday speech.

On the other hand, it could become so commonplace that the words will eventually lose their meaning and power.

redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

I guess I agree with Ernie. Maybe it is a generational thing but only time will tell.

I know, it is so disrupting. I hate people who curse ALL the time. It annoys me that this runs in most teens and preteens.

Yeah, its kind of annoying. There are some people who should just shove a cork in their mouth.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I'm not much of a potty mouth myself, but I've always wondered, what is wrong with swearing? They're just words after all, and I'm sure we were all taught at a young age that words can never hurt us!

And for those of you who say it's distracting, people have always been putting words there, they just weren't always swear words... "freakin" was always a popular substitute when I was a kid, as well as less obvious ones like "stupid"... people will always insert words in unnecessary places and they always have!

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

when all this swearing nonsense is seen as childish

I think its stupid. I find it incredibly dumb especially when playing online, when said person feels that they can call you whatever nasty words he feels. However, when i game online, I hardly ever curse. Why? Because its stupid and unoriginal and childish. I prefer to insult people in more unique and entertaining ways.
Yeah, its kind of annoying. There are some people who should just shove a cork in their mouth.

What good would that do? We all know that to shut one of them up, you have to stick the cork up their butt.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I don't see why it matters. They're just words, and most of the time, as you imply, they're not even used in an offensive manner. This just happens to be the current colloquial way of speech.

There are more annoying things, like when a person doesn't know how to use apostrophes. Or something like that.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

It didn't seem to me that people were swearing that much before I moved to the US. I think it makes them feel more powerful when they speak like that. I don't usually swear unless I get mad at Republicans or hit my thumb with a hammer while fixing something. xD

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

They're just words after all, and I'm sure we were all taught at a young age that words can never hurt us!

Depends on the words, words mean nothing but what they imply is whats important. But that is another discussion.

It will probably pass in a few more years, when all this swearing nonsense is seen as childish. The day will come, even if it doesn't come soon

It could. But that would depend on people realizing it is childish to begin with. This younger generation swearing probably wont exist 10 to 15 years from now. It is probably one of these temporary social themes people call "trends". Im not sure how long these last or how they just stop, but then again I don't know a lot of things about social protocol.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Sailors of the Age of Sail cursed even more, but only if they were being insulting. Nowadays, people just curse, and they curse so much that the swear words just lose their meaning as an accent. Because that's what swears are for: accenting speech by using curses sparingly.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I think its stupid. I find it incredibly dumb especially when playing online, when said person feels that they can call you whatever nasty words he feels

Not only dumb...but incredibly annoying. Something happens to piss em off and their way of insulting you is by shouting completely random and nonsensical obscenities as if they were liable arguments.
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

f*** yes...

hehehe, I think that you have a point, there, OP.

I hate to see it, too, because it means it's the only letter they can spell.

Drink
Drink
1,621 posts
Blacksmith

i dont really care i only swear when i get mad or annoyed and whatever happened to "Sticks and stones" huh people? there only words anyways..

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

There are more annoying things, like when a person doesn't know how to use apostrophes. Or something like that.

Am I the only one who got that.

God forbid the flame wars.
skydragon720
skydragon720
343 posts
Nomad

yes, everybody cusses at my school, and i am just waiting for somebody to get in trouble.

Showing 1-15 of 16