ForumsThe TavernI can't be the only one..

39 6290
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Who finds sentences written correctly oddly comforting?

When I skim a thread, the grammatically correct sentences with proper spelling and capitalisation stick out and.. make me feel better.

I feel out of sorts and all kinds of crazy today.

• 39 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

It does give me hope that there are people out there who still understand how to type in English correctly, but sentences like that don't really stand out for me most of the time.

Actually, I'm usually more inclined to notice badly written sentences, because I'll often have to read them two or three times before I can piece together what the person was trying to say.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

On a forum I'm very judgemental and I'll usually assume that the well worded posts are the ones written by intelligent people and vice versa.
Then again, my dad is an intelligent man but he texts like an idiot!

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

I don't find them comforting, I just read them like any normal sentence, because that's what they are, any normal sentence.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I guess I sort of take them for granted, but well-written sentences do seem to be a dying breed! I don't think it's a matter of intelligence... people are just getting lazier!

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

It doesn't make me feel better. It just doesn't bug me. Actually I don't really care as long as I can understand what you are trying to say.

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

lolz y u gaiz need sentences tht r wrote crctely. u gaiz r stupid. itz so much quick 2 type lyk tis and r ezy 2 undrstnd

No, I don't really have a problem with it. Unless you start typing like that on purpose it doesn't really annoy me.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Does make me feel that maybe English won't be so brutally based, stretched and laid out on the rack in a mangled mess. Gives me hope. Glimmers of it.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Have to agree. I enjoy reading sentences that I can understand right away, over sentences that I have to think about.

Your totally write. Good grammer is comfrting.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

The grammar in this thread is terrible.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Yes it's annoying when people misspell or use improper words that usually means something else. People often confuse their, there and they're, and that's irritating to me.

alexandrica
alexandrica
100 posts
Nomad

lolz y u gaiz need sentences tht r wrote crctely. u gaiz r stupid. itz so much quick 2 type lyk tis and r ezy 2 undrstnd

For me is slower to write like that!I am still learning english and I still don't realley understand all the words (but i know many of the basic ones that you need to make a conversasion) and I think that it is goind to take me an eternity to learn to speak and write like that.It is realley annoying and hard to read, but a bad wrote word because of the fast writing like "makr" instead of "make" don't realley makes me upset because it always happens.

-Alexandrica the archer-
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

wrote word because of the fast writing like "makr" instead of "make" don't realley makes me upset because it always happens.

I agree. If a word is misspelt due to a typo then of course that's excusable. Usually you can tell if it's just a typo because there's only one or two in a post and that's fine. I'm no saint, I sometimes put commas in the wrong place or start a sentence with 'but' or 'and', but I do make sure I write with some coherence :P
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

The grammar in this thread is terrible.

Yes.

Yes it's annoying when people misspell or use improper words that usually means something else.

Here's an example.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Here's an example.

Considering that English is my second language and that I never paid attention in my English classes I consider my writing superior to many here even though some arrogant little jerk might think otherwise.
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Contrary to popular belief, belittling someone doesn't actually make you more likeable. I know, I was surprised too :O

I never paid attention in my English classes

I was going to say something about how you don't actually learn English in English classes, you just read a few books and compare a few poems, but then I realised you genuinely took English-as-a-second-language classes. My bad!
Showing 1-15 of 39