ForumsThe TavernWhat would you do if you saw a man take an old lady's purse?

48 7165
redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

Off of my other thread, what would you do if it was in your power to stop a man from taking the lady's purse? Just turn away or stop him?

• 48 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Nothing cuz bystander effect.

Also cuz fear of getting shanked.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Call the cops. Maybe run if he's not a large fellow.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

In this digital world, he wouldn't get very far. Someone would call the police after witnessing the crime if they didn't capture it on their video phone.

I've never seen an old lady's purse get stolen. That's an outdated and very cliche crime.

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

Activate the C4 that I had placed in the bag beforehand killing the perpetrator and destroying the purse.

But seriously, I would probably not do much. I need more details. (Height, weight, supposed strength).

Assuming it was a tall strong brute sort of guy, I'd probably just call the police or something, but then again, wouldn't the police have better things to do? Like watching a downhill section of a city and catching people going slightly above the speed limit as they go down the slope at 1KM over the speed limit

There goes $100.

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,434 posts
Nomad

If I was feeling confrontational, I'd start yelling and chasing. Else, I'd just keep on keepin' on. Not my problem, lady should've been walking with someone to defend her.

-Chillz

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Activate the C4 that I had placed in the bag beforehand killing the perpetrator and destroying the purse.

Had the purse not have been stolen, you would have had an old lady walking around with C4 in her purse and a detonator that you can't do anything with.

Let's just hope she doesn't get near any open flames. At least if the purse was stolen, there would be a chance of getting the purse and its contents back intact.

If I was feeling confrontational, I'd start yelling and chasing

I'm sure that would be the most efficient way of handling things.

"Hey, you! Get back here with that purse!"
"Ok."
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I would pick up a chair and throw it at him. As simple as that yet effective, take the purse, and I would get like $5 for the work fee. My work isn't free you know. lol just kidding, or am I? Haha well, if I don't throw a chair at him then I guess I would yell at him. I have a voice you can hear from miles and it stuns at times. But the most common reaction I get from people is them covering there ears and they are hearing ringing for a while. It is my super power I guess.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

"Ok."

Once again you have made my day.

I'd do what anyone else would do: call the cops. If I felt silly, I'd probably yell some profanities at him before he would get away. If he comes at me, well, why miss the opportunity to say the cliche phrase "Come At Me Bro" at such a perfect time? Hell, if he beats the living garbage out of me there's an old lady to help me out.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I'd pick up a nearby rock and fire it at his head... I could chase him down and tackle him, but then I wouldn't get a chance to improve my throwing skills.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I'd pick up a nearby rock and fire it at his head... I could chase him down and tackle him, but then I wouldn't get a chance to improve my throwing skills.

I woulda tackled him, cause I love throw myself at people. Its fun you should try it Skel! =) But yea, throwing stuff is better. That is why I chose to throw a chair. The bigger the better. lol
kellynmcfinch
kellynmcfinch
132 posts
Nomad

I guess I would call the cops since I AM the witness.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I would probably do nothing in real life. Seriously would you really go up to the guy and throw something at him because he probably would be at least a decently sized guy... I'm just a poor bystander, nothing to do with this!

Besides if I catch him I might have to go to court with him or something.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Killersup would much rather just run up behind him and tackle him.then he would cut him >

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

the dialogue between us would go a little like this

lady: help! that man just stole my purse!
me: what seems to be the trouble? O MY GOD! SOMEONE STOLE YOUR PURSE!
lady: yes i know can you help me!
me: with what?

--judgment

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I would pick up a chair and throw it at him. As simple as that yet effective,

How far away is this guy? If he's close enough that you can throw a chair at him, you could probably, just tackle him.

I'm sure that would be the most efficient way of handling things.

"Ok."

Awesome Ernie. Thanks for getting my Day off to a funny start.

As for what I would do if I saw the crime committed:

I would probably call the police while chasing the guy, and advise them of the guys location. If I could though, I would probably trip the guy up, grab the purse, then sprint back with the ladies purse.

Why get in some fight with a guy over some random ladies purse?
Showing 1-15 of 48